Richmond Developments

Cotuit

• 2 weeks later...

ahh here it is:

Local leaders have predictions for Richmond area in 2007

My favorite quote:

Commercial real estate

"The interesting news is the continued resurgence of downtown Richmond. The announcement of MeadWestvaco [building a headquarters downtown] is not an isolated event. More and more companies are looking back to the city. We had out-migration in the early'80s when Innsbrook was taking off. The suburbs will continue to do well in development because of land availability.

"Still, there's more and more interest in downtown -- from The Jefferson Hotel to Rockett's Landing. I just sense it. There's interest in more hotels. People are looking. Other developers are interested. . . . Richmond is on a lot of radar screens. There's a whole different attitude about Richmond."

Jeffrey Cooke, senior vice president, Thalhimer

I've noticed this slow change in attitude as well. Richmond's quietly rejuvenating the urban core, and I couldn't be happier about it.

and then another:

Economic development

Greg Wingfield, president of the Greater Richmond Partnership, said the economic development group will work "to continue the internationalization of Richmond."

The efforts will be global, selling the Richmond area to businesses in Europe, China, Japan and India, among others

"And we expect to see more technology and homeland security companies coming to Richmond from D.C. and Maryland."

Money is flowing into those sectors, Wingfield said, and Richmond's visibility has been enhanced by Virginia Commonwealth University's homeland security program and by its engineering school.

I've been impressed with how aggressive the greater Richmond Partnership has been in attracting attention globally. Hopefully we'll begin to see big returns on the investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Greg Wingfield, president of the Greater Richmond Partnership, said the economic development group will work "to continue the internationalization of Richmond." The efforts will be global, selling the Richmond area to businesses in Europe, China, Japan and India, among others.

I think I witnessed some of this marketing first hand just the other day. I've got a new job with Northrop Grumman downtown (thank God to be out of Sprint and Reston!!!) I went out for a walk to see, firsthand, how downtown was shaping up, and was walking up past the new courthouse toward the Sixth Street Market Food Court (or whatever they're calling it these days).

Just as I crossed over Broad at the vicinity of 6th and Broad, there was some sharkey looking guy making a glowing pitch to some other sharkey, Euro-looking folks. They appeared to be a couple, and when the woman spoke, her accent sounded distinctly French. Or....it could have been a couple of Canadian tourists looking for their lost car, for all I know. ;)

At any rate, it had been about 4 years since I had set foot in the food court (last time I was in there, 6th Street Market was still standing). Boy, was it N-A-S-T-Y looking in there. Nonetheless, there still seemed to be a good number of people grabbing a bite of lunch. Man, oh man, that place would look TONS better if they'd just do some cursory upkeep, like paint, clean the floors and fix the lighting. I mean, how much money would that cost????

Anyhow, great to be back downtown and out of the Northern Virginia rat race. Viva downtown!!

I noticed that the building at the corner of Willow Lawn Dr. & W. Broad St. was being torn down today. Does anybody know of any new plans?

Willow Lawn & Broad St.

I haven't heard of anything new for that important corner. Isn't it almost next door to the crinkled aluminum Jamjosian designed building once occupied by Markel?

I noticed in the aerial shot that the jogged continuation of Willow lawn Drive is known as 50th Street north of Broad. That's a new revelation in my long life. :lol:

CHokie, welcome to Richmond after toiling away in Nova. Are you in the ugly building known as Richmond Plaza where we think N/G is temporarily located? Will you be moving out to Eastern Chesterfield with the company, or will they hopefully maintain a downtown office as well?

Maybe the sharkey types you encountered were discussing an addition to the Marriott at 6th and Broad or some other real estate deal. ;) Perhaps they have plans for an exotic European hotel rising above the old hole in the ground. :lol: Whether or not they're a manifestastion of Wingfield's hopes, or as you suggest, merely looking for their lost car, they are a sign of new cosmopolitan life downtown.

The remaining piece of 6th Street Marketplace could, as you suggest, improve with a little attention to cleanliness and decorative attention. One of my major kvetches relates to the non use of adjoining Blues Armory -- or, at least, it's upper floors. Nobody takes me seriously when I suggest it be gutted and fitted with a "floating" symphony hall. I know for a fact its top level is one vast open space with no support columns. I wish a theatre architect would look it over and make a determination about the entire structure.

But in the meantime, attention must be paid to the food court.

Edited by burt

Philip Morris Research Center almost complete

Work on Philip Morris USA's research and technology center in downtown Richmond is 70 percent complete, a company official said yesterday.

The Henrico County-based tobacco company expects to open the 450,000-square-foot center in the Virginia BioTechnology Research Park by midyear, said John Antonietta, the company's project manager for information services.

"This is going to be a significant investment and a good impact on the economy of our whole community," Antonietta said, speaking at a Greater Richmond Technology Council meeting.

Philip Morris, the nation's largest cigarette manufacturer, has said its research at the $350 million center will include ways to reduce the harm of tobacco products. Antonietta spoke about the deployment of information technology systems at the center.......

This will be an awesome addition to the local economy when complete...hopefully it can help the Biotech park lure some other high profile projects as well before buildout

I haven't heard of anything new for that important corner. Isn't it almost next door to the crinkled aluminum Jamjosian designed building once occupied by Markel?

I noticed in the aerial shot that the jogged continuation of Willow lawn Drive is known as 50th Street north of Broad. That's a new revelation in my long life. :lol:

A CVS and an office building will replace the structure being demolished.

:thumbsup: , Shak.

Regal Cinemas is going to build a new 16-screen multi-plex with stadium seating at Southpark Mall in Colonial Heights. It will replace the 6-screens serving the area now. The old cineplex will morph into an extended Food Court when the new theaters open.

I'll bet the Ft. Lee expansion had something to do with Regsal's decision.

Next up on the movie scene will be the Moss Brothers' Bowtie Movietime cinemas at Boulevard and Leigh (Boulevard Square).

Speaking of movies (well, OK -- TV mini series), casting is underway for over 1000 extras needed for the JOHN ADAMS 7-part HBO miniseries which will get underway in Metro Richmond and Williamsburg in February. Producer Tom Hanks and company are building a huge set in Hanover that, I understand, will look like a period village. Maybe some of you know more about this set construction.

Production will begin in February and end in May, so if anyone wants to pick up a few bucks (substantial bucks if you're a SAG member), and if you don't mind the "sit and wait" filming routine, you might enjoy being a supernumerary on the project.

Are you in the ugly building known as Richmond Plaza where we think N/G is temporarily located? Will you be moving out to Eastern Chesterfield with the company, or will they hopefully maintain a downtown office as well?

Yes, I'm in that building (Old Chesterfield Cigarette factory - built 1922, remodled 1978). I am, indeed, part of the group that will be moving out to Chesterfield. That will be quite a haul from my home in the Short Pump area, but it sure beats the heck out of that Reston commute. I will definitely miss downtown when we move out this summer.

I'm not sure how many NG folks will remain downtown, but I believe the bulk of both the VITA and NG folks will be moving out to Chesterfield.

Note to 'coupe: I know all the obvious establishments like Padow's, SunTrust cafeteria, Wall Street Deli, Capitol Ale House, Penny Lane and that little Mexican restaurant on 5th, but I'd welcome any suggestions. I want to try to hit as many places as I can before we have to move out of downtown.

Culpeper... Those are all good options. If you're looking for a good deal on pizza, try JoJo's Pizza at around 12th and Main. Two big NY slices and a drink for $4.49. Also, for a great sandwich, try Perly's on Grace St between 1st and 2nd street. It's fantastic! Coppola's has pretty good sandwiches too, it's down near JoJo's on Main St. Another place worth checking out (if you're in the mood for a big salad with basically whatever you could want on it), is Salad Kings. It's in One Capitol Sqaure at 9th and Main st. There's a couple more, the names escape me though.. :thumbsup:

While taking a quick drive around today, I noticed that the deli place going into the Southern Railway building is coming close to completion... The refrigerated cases and other stuff are being set up right now. That'll be a great asset for residents of Vistas and the surrounding area.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Yes, I'm in that building (Old Chesterfield Cigarette factory - built 1922, remodled 1978). I am, indeed, part of the group that will be moving out to Chesterfield. That will be quite a haul from my home in the Short Pump area, but it sure beats the heck out of that Reston commute. I will definitely miss downtown when we move out this summer.

I'm not sure how many NG folks will remain downtown, but I believe the bulk of both the VITA and NG folks will be moving out to Chesterfield.

Note to 'coupe: I know all the obvious establishments like Padow's, SunTrust cafeteria, Wall Street Deli, Capitol Ale House, Penny Lane and that little Mexican restaurant on 5th, but I'd welcome any suggestions. I want to try to hit as many places as I can before we have to move out of downtown.

Try the chocolate cream pie at Bill's Bar-B-Que at 7th and Main. Yummy with a glass of milk. :thumbsup:

Culpeper... Those are all good options. If you're looking for a good deal on pizza, try JoJo's Pizza at around 12th and Main. Two big NY slices and a drink for $4.49. Also, for a great sandwich, try Perly's on Grace St between 1st and 2nd street. It's fantastic! Coppola's has pretty good sandwiches too, it's down near JoJo's on Main St. Another place worth checking out (if you're in the mood for a big salad with basically whatever you could want on it), is Salad Kings. It's in One Capitol Sqaure at 9th and Main st. There's a couple more, the names escape me though.. :thumbsup:

While taking a quick drive around today, I noticed that the deli place going into the Southern Railway building is coming close to completion... The refrigerated cases and other stuff are being set up right now. That'll be a great asset for residents of Vistas and the surrounding area.

Do you suppose the deli is going to stock some convenience store items for nearby residents?

I poked my head into the Southern Railway Deli/Canal Street Cafe (still am not sure of the actual name) last night and the owner gave me a tour. He was born and raised in Athens, Greece so the eatery will have a Greek and Italian flare. I must say that his space is quite ambitious, and he has invested a lot of capital in some state of the art equipment. Personally, I am glad I am not the owner/operator because I don't see how he can be profitable. I don't see the market being big enough to ensure enough volume to offset his costs.

Anyway, I am hopeful that he is succesful and have crossed my fingers for him. He is a really nice guy and will be a great asset to the neighborhood. At the north end, he will have specialty coffee(Italian variety), smoothies, pastries and Gelato ice cream. They will have a small butcher shop (with butcher), deli, prepared foods case, salads made to order, soup, paninis, crepes, gyros, and pizza with a one of a kind Italian Pizza Oven. He will also have a small section of convenience items ranging from milk to paper towels.

On another development, Relish opened up in the Baskervill/Stool Pigeons building. It is owned and operated by the it's neighbor Triple Crossings Coffee Shop. Very neat space and a much more modest food offering than Southern Railway. They have a prepared foods case, salad and soup bar, desert case, and made to order wraps, burritos, sandwiches. They opened Tuesday.