Richmond Developments

Cotuit

ALso, while everyone is celebrating MWV, just thought I'd mention that Riverfront Plaza is under contract by Hines REIT for $292 per square foot. Hines is a big company that could become a considerable presence in our market if they so choose. The deal should close next week :thumbsup:

There is something in today's Building Permits column about an office fit-up at Riverfront Plaza and the listed owner is a German-sounding company.

There is a very interesting story in today's Business (Real Estate) section about the new Phillip Morris research building. It's mostly positive, though one architect decries the fortress look. Another person described it as the "Inbrooknization" of downtown.

Edited by burt

Good news!

Jackson Place developer chosen

The Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority has picked development giant Trammell Crow and the nonprofit Better Housing Coalition to develop its 5-plus acre Jackson Place site.

The two are proposing a mixed-income, mixed-use development of up to 240 dwellings as well as commercial space. Of that, 40 percent would be aimed at people earning no more than 80 percent of the area's median income....

This should be a nice boost to Jackson Ward :thumsbup: Hopefully the architecture respects the character of the neighborhood.

A tower crane for the Art Museum expansion has been built. This crane is about twice the heigh of the crane for the parking garage at the same complex.

Richmond is going to be an arts Mecca by 2010. The new VMFA will be one of the finest in America;

galleries already proliferate along West Broad and in Manchester, and live performance venues will bring new life downtown. Perhaps VCU with help from others could establish a Museum of Modern Art in the block bounded by Broad, Grace, Belvidere and Henry Streets. :)

VAPAF, aka RichmondCenterStage, has reached the $15 million level toward renovation of the Southeast Quardrant and is confident total contributions will reach $20 million by the end of this month.

A news release of the contribution level is expected perhaps tomorrow, as well as info on the release of the Committee's report to Mayor Wilder.

They're still aiming for a reopening of the Carpenter Center in late 2009.

Edited by burt

Hey Burt, I couldn't find the post but what rail line ran from Richmond Glass to Ashland? I've been looking at Henrico's current map where it is a right-of-way now. It also looks like it cut across Azalea Mall's parking lot. Is that right? And it followed Brook Rd?

Hey Burt, I couldn't find the post but what rail line ran from Richmond Glass to Ashland? I've been looking at Henrico's current map where it is a right-of-way now. It also looks like it cut across Azalea Mall's parking lot. Is that right? And it followed Brook Rd?

The line, built by Frank J. Gould, originally was called The Richmond & Chesapeake Bay Rail Road and the track followed "Brook Turnpike for 2 1/2 miles until it passed Westwood Avenue, then it turned left 20 degrees through the property now occupied by Azalea Mall parking lot. A half mile further it turned north again and continued in almost a straight line to the Ashland depot, located at Maple and England Streets. (This site is now occupied by the post office.) Wooden shelters were erected at wayside stops."

The 2-story Richmond termina buildingl was (is) at 814 West Broad at Laurel Street. A high concrete viaduct ran from the second level of the terminal across Bacon's Quarter Branch and the double-tracked Seaboard Air Line to Brook Road, then down the center median to Westwood Avenue and thence via the above route to Ashland.

All of this info is in Carlton Morris McKenny's RAILS IN RICHMOND. As a historian, you should have this fabulous book in your library. Why not buy one for yourself as a Christmas present? :)

PS: I drove around the old Interurban terminal at about 28th and P Streets which is still there. I wonder what route the tracks followed to Nine Mile Road? The terminal is behind the falling down Robinson Theater.

Edited by burt

The line, built by Frank J. Gould, originally was called The Richmond & Chesapeake Bay Rail Road and the track followed "Brook Turnpike for 2 1/2 miles until it passed Westwood Avenue, then it turned left 20 degrees through the property now occupied by Azalea Mall parking lot. A half mile further it turned north again and continued in almost a straight line to the Ashland depot, located at Maple and England Streets. (This site is now occupied by the post office.) Wooden shelters were erected at wayside stops."

The 2-story Richmond termina buildingl was (is) at 814 West Broad at Laurel Street. A high concrete viaduct ran from the second level of the terminal across Bacon's Quarter Branch and the double-tracked Seaboard Air Line to Brook Road, then down the center median to Westwood Avenue and thence via the above route to Ashland.

All of this info is in Carlton Morris McKenny's RAILS IN RICHMOND. As a historian, you should have this fabulous book in your library. Why not buy one for yourself as a Christmas present? :)

PS: I drove around the old Interurban terminal at about 28th and P Streets which is still there. I wonder what route the tracks followed to Nine Mile Road? The terminal is behind the falling down Robinson Theater.

Oops I meant to post in the off topic... but thanks Burt. I do need to get that book and thanks for reminding me of it. It was among the things I was going to get one day when I had enough money... along with a 1887 map of Richmond. Are there pictures of it? You never hear of old Richmonders mentioning this line and I've only seen one map with it on it. The tracks for the line to Highland Springs and the RRRR went up 29th St.

Can anyone find anything on the 2700 block of Nine Mile Rd across from the Pep Boys? They've demolished two houses east of Watson. I'd like to know what could be going on there.

Also anything for Montezuma Farm and the land to the north of it where the old greenhouses are? It was bought recently I believe and I saw surveyors between it and the Showplace. Now there is a giant tract of several parcels that could be developed into something there. I just hope if it comes to that, the farm house should be preserved, even nominated for the National Register. Jackson or Stuart stayed there during the Civil War and it is a grand place. Also the Schermerhorn family burial ground is there. I hope at least the land that is left of the farm is left untouched.

Cam, if you will PM me your mailing address I am going to Priority mail my copy of "Rails in Richmond". It a Christmas present in appreciation of your pictures and historical contributions. Besides, at my age, I am trying to unload things and I can't think of anyone who would enjoy it more.

I think we need to build more decks along 7th St between DuVal and Hospital. That area is not well kept and a lot of people already park on surface lots. Maybe even a tower back there.

Another area for a massive tower deck along with other towers are the two block area east of 95 north of Broad.