• Mobile, AL
    • Norfolk, VA
    • Lexington, KY
    • Little Rock, AR
    • Sarasota, FL
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Winston-Salem, NC

Nice. Knoxville is definately underrated.

2 questions:

1. What is the gold sphere thing?

2. What are they building there in the foreground of the first pic?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the gold sphere is the sun sphere they had for the worlds fair. and the building in the foreground i'm taking is the one that is being built right? i beleive that's the new convention center. i could be wrong though. someone correct me on that if i am.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sunsphere was a observation tower/restaurant at one time. Now it is closed.

Yes, the building *under construction* is the new convention center. It is now complete.

It's all in World's Fair Park. That whole area has been transformed. It's beautiful now.

17.jpg

18.jpg

The Sunsphere was a observation tower/restaurant at one time. Now it is closed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats too bad. I would enjoy something like that. Do you know if they are going to open it up again for the conventioners? Everyone loves seeing stuff from up high :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love Knoxville too. It is improving a lot, and the city has a healthy steady growth (if not rapid) They are doing a lot to bring people downtown and have an excelent line up of summer concert series. Market square is very lively, and the 40k student strong university brings a very young median age to downdown. Cool place! Very underrated!

Here are some pictures I took!

011_8.jpg

014_11.jpg

There aren't 40k students here! Unless you count the faculty and staff...and bums! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, so a slight miss quote on student population, but you gotta love the shots - Skyline (waterfront) taken from Baptist hospital on the south bank, the stadium taken from halfway accoss Henley street bridge.

Here is a shot of Henley street bridge BTW!!

two.jpg

I would say Tulsa has the best, followed closely by Columbia and Little Rock.

@timalucas- Great pics man! Esp. that first one. Being a local you should do a picture thread on the city if you ever have the opportunity. I know I would like to see one the city. There is little representation of Knoxville on most boards, even on SSP.

Okay, so a slight miss quote on student population, but you gotta love the shots - Skyline (waterfront) taken from Baptist hospital on the south bank, the stadium taken from halfway accoss Henley street bridge. 

Here is a shot of Henley street bridge BTW!!

two.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course those are great pics!!! I'm here in Knoxville right now...I love it. Living up in Fort Sanders this fall.

I would say Tulsa has the best, followed closely by Columbia and Little Rock.

@timalucas- Great pics man! Esp. that first one. Being a local you should do a picture thread on the city if you ever have the opportunity. I know I would like to see one the city. There is little representation of Knoxville on most boards, even on SSP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rural - thanks for the Kudos. A Knoxville picture thread sounds like a good idea. When I get time to walk around with my camera I'll start one up.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's between Winston and Columbia. Little Rock and Tulsa would come in next though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how can anyone say anything but tulsa I mean look at the height, I was impressed as hell at that, I never expected it from tulsa, and I thought I knew all skylines pretty well.

And as satalac mentioned, the most holy site in all of college football.

Is that because the seats are so small you have to kneel in the aisles in order for everyone to fit? :rofl: Go 'Cocks!

how can anyone say anything but tulsa I mean look at the height, I was impressed as hell at that, I never expected it from tulsa, and I thought I knew all skylines pretty well.

Well, a few talls do not a skyline make. It takes density, variety and breadth and for that reason I voted for Columbia. Here are some pictures I've taken of my adopted hometown.

downtown%20close%20up%20from%20greystone.jpg

cbd%20pano.jpg

WB%20Pano.jpg

main%20from%20the%20capitol.jpg

williams-brice-stadium.jpg

snow2.gif

I believe Drum Corps Alum took this awesome shot from the revolving restaurant atop Capstone House.

downtown%20from%20capstone.bmp

night%202.jpg

Another addition to the skyline is on the way.

1st%20citz%20site%20at%20night.jpg

heritage%20tower%20condos%20senate%20st.jpg

rutledge%20building.jpg

main%20st%20from%20the%20state%20house%202.jpg

cornell%20arms%20apts.jpg

usc%20south%20bldg%20dorm.jpg

usc%20capstone%20house.jpg

5%20points%20and%20downtown%20from%20old%20shandon.jpg

finlay%20park.bmp

gervais%20at%20huger%20in%20the%20vista.jpg

park%20place%20vista.jpg

downtown%20from%20finlay%20park.JPG

I rest my case.

I voted Knoxville. I wouldn't consider Tulsa a small city. Besides, I've been to Knoxville and it's more impressive in real life than it is in photos. I was on UT campus a couple of times and the foot traffic was absolutely incredible throughout that part of town. :thumbsup:

BTW, ironchapman, I have relatives in Lithia Springs as well as ATL. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tulsa's buildings are indeed "rectangular" BUT those particular buildings have magnificent architects... ie the 203 meter williams center & the world trade centers in New York City shared the same designer. It also boast one of the largest collections of art deco in the country. Also designer Pelli "who designed the Kuala Lumper world's tallest" is working on an extensive project with the city right now. visit this site:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=117544

Also in 2002 the image of tulsa was reshaped by the new williams technology center downtown... its quite a bit more than a "square"

- my 2nd pick would have to be Panama City Beach florida even though it is not on the list... it contains a metro of close to 200,000 and has 31 beautiful skyscrapers of current with a total of 57 shortly to come. It is expanding more than any other city on the list.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll admitt it, Tulsa has a very impresseve skyline. But all those tall buildings dosen't cut it for me. Columbia has alot of square '70ish buildings but it's skyline still looks good. Winston still has my vote, I guess I'm just picky.

Archived