River House Condominiums

GRCentro

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or do other people think this will throw off the skyline balance? It is cool that they are building a new tallest but right now it is pretty centralized and having the tallest building a few blocks north I think will make it look a little funny for years until they build a new tallest closer to the center like lyon/ottawa, current city hall, or huntington bank area. I personally think that the original Bridgewater twin tower plan would work much better for that location and riverhouse could be built at Fulton/market, haha.

It would be cool to see taller towers in the center of the city. However, the view of Grand Rapids from Ahnabawen Park will make Grand Rapids look pretty sophisticated and urban!

Look out Southfield, here we come

Being an alumni of Lawrence Tech I lived in the shadow of the Prudential buildings for 4 years. The gold glass is cool and all but trying to drive down the Lodge Freeway at about 4:30 in the afternoon is like trying to drive into the sun or the blazes of hell.

I've heard that Libby Owens Ford made that glass special with moulten gold in the formula. Don't tell anyone or they'll start stealing the windows! :whistling:

Nitro

I am a little confused. What do people do with these goofy little diagrams? pixel art is cool and all, but is there any purpose other than showing height difference? Just wondering...

Joe

Not really :P but they are neat to look at.

You can take a diagram and see that Lyon and Ottawa if it were built would have been the 11th tallest building in Michigan.

Southfield is very cold, and just another vertical office park.

Hey! Southfeild isn't that bad!

Sure the town center is is just a group of black and gold buildings with a mess of parking ramps and driveways in between (I've had some frustrating experiences trying to find my way around in there) but I wouldn't say that they are "cold." I think the complex looks nice from across the Lodge freeway on the Lawrence Tech campus.

Not to say that Grand Rapids doesn't have Southfield beat. Grand Rapids is an actual city and has had many years to build up density, history, etc. Southfield is a suburb (whether it wants to recognize the fact or not) which wasn't developed until the 1960s. Southfield looks as it does because of its urban planning (which isn't necessarily the best.)

I think the complex looks nice from across the Lodge freeway on the Lawrence Tech campus.

That's my point. Southfield may look nice from a distance, but is very cold and pedestrian unfriendly when you are in the middle of it. ;)

Back to the topic at hand, any more news on a ground breaking date for River House to start?

Archived