River House Condominiums

GRCentro

They should make the north side of the new tower offices. There is not much to look at on 131 going north and you wouldn't get much sun either.

I agree that the units that are down lower won't have much to look at but the top of the parking ranp and the back of the other tower...but I don't know if condos and offices on the same floor would mix very well...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Condos and offices on the same floor would not work. It would take a modification to the design so that there would be a wall separating the condos from the offices. They would have to have separate emergency exits and elevators as well. If I rulled the world, I would do it. :D

Dumb question...what's the problem with the Varnum sign? I'm new to all this so I had no idea how much was involved in something as simple as placing a sign (or a green neon stripe as in the BOB.) I've heard the Varnum/Ford Museum/Grand Valley Campus/CookDeVos signs criticized on the forum. What's the problem with them? I think it's cool to see a name on a building to give it an identity. Am I missing something?

Dumb question...what's the problem with the Varnum sign? I'm new to all this so I had no idea how much was involved in something as simple as placing a sign (or a green neon stripe as in the BOB.) I've heard the Varnum/Ford Museum/Grand Valley Campus/CookDeVos signs criticized on the forum. What's the problem with them? I think it's cool to see a name on a building to give it an identity. Am I missing something?

The current zoning laws limit the size and square footage on a building. It is basically to prevent buildings becoming giant billboards. Even though they seem restrictive at times, the intent is good and helps keep the city from becoming one big advertisement.

You have never worked in a law firm, I take it. It was the running joke amongst firms . . .a little ostentatious to say the least . . . .

I have learned to not mind the GVSU signs even though they are too big IMO. The Varnum sign just looks crummy, and when they go too long without washing the windows you can see the water that drips off and runs down the building. Its not the worst sign in the city but it ain't the best either.

Just a point of clarification . . I didn't mean there was anything wrong with large signs . . the GVSU sign is nice .. . . . .my point was that it was a law firm's name up there. Typically, respectable firms don't advertise like that . . .and Varnum is a very respectable firm . . . .that's what's obnoxious about it . . .

Sounds like the last piece of the puzzle is in place, according to Project Manager Dan Wert:

Doorknob twist taps tax money

You have to dig to the bottom of the article for the meat, but he says they should now be able to start in February, with 107 signed PA's now. One lane of Bridge Street will be closed for up to two years. :blink:

Sounds like the last piece of the puzzle is in place, according to Project Manager Dan Wert:

Doorknob twist taps tax money

You have to dig to the bottom of the article for the meat, but he says they should now be able to start in February, with 107 signed PA's now. One lane of Bridge Street will be closed for up to two years. :blink:

Bah.. they closed the S-Curve.. :shok: why not one lane of Bridge :huh:

Apparently Heartwell gave Grooters a tongue-lashing when they approved the DDA Credits that River House was not going to be LEED Certified - Green Built. He said something like "Two West Fulton will be Green Built". :lol: Grooters was probably thinking "What's he talking about, the glass is blue".

Apparently Heartwell gave Grooters a tongue-lashing when they approved the DDA Credits that River House was not going to be LEED Certified - Green Built. He said something like "Two West Fulton will be Green Built". :lol: Grooters was probably thinking "What's he talking about, the glass is blue".

Does anyone have any updates as it realates to a groundbreaking or completion date? I have been hearing about problems with the footings for that site. Does anyone know if that is whats causing the delays? Looking for insiders, we know you are out there :ph34r::ph34r:

I drive by it almost every day. I have seen absolutely nothing happening in the last several months.

Nope. Groots says they are 99% of the way there, with work starting in February. With all the concrete work they need to do on each floor, seems like they would want a window of April - October for tower construction. Which would mean they need to get moving on the caissons sooner than later.

Archived