Retail/stores you would like to see in SE VA

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are Cheesecake and PF Changs owned by the same company or something?  They always seem to pop up together in pairs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No but I think a lot of stores will pop up in pairs if they notice they're a good mix for eachother. P.F. Changs customer base probably compliments CF's and vice versa. When they do their market research they probably take note of where the other chain has set up and is prospering and try to get in on some of the action.

Heh, I've been in NoVa too long.  Everytime I come back down to HR, I notice the fashion differences.  Though maybe not as much as I used to.  There is that jeans and T-shirt look a lot, but even the people who are a little more affluent go for a more laid back look.  The slacks and Hawaiian shirt look seems to be just as popular.  I'm thinking it less about affluence and more about the lack of the yuppy crowd in HR.  Nova seems to be nothing but yuppies, whereas in HR outside of downtown, and Granby specifically, you don't see em too much. 

But I'd be careful what we ask for.  The laid back/relaxed attitude in HR can't be anything but good I think.  Let's not try to become Paris, and enjoy the fact that we(some of us anyways) get to live year round, in a place that people come to especially for its beauty and laid back atmosphere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hawaiian shirts. I do believe Mike & Bob talked about that on 96X. HR middle-aged dudes really love their Hawaiian shirts.

Hoobo--First of all, Parisian cannot be considered less upscale than Dillard's and Macy's. If you've ever seen the flagship stores at Riverchase Galleria in Birmingham (Parisian's HQ city) or at Phipps in Atlanta, you would know that Parisian--at its best--offers nearly 300,000 sq ft of beautiful, upscale merchandise. Of course, Parisian, like Macy's and Dillard's, does tailor some of their smaller stores to the particular market/submarket. Secondly, Macy's and Dillard's are not the same. Again, if you've ever seen the Dillard's at the Galleria in Dallas or other major S.W. cities (and even the one at MacArthur which has a SPA and faxes in some dressing rooms), you would know that Dillard's can be quite fashionable--with boutique sensibilities. Macy's has more of a tendancy to gear down their merchandise to the market/submarket, though there are some wonderful Macy's stores in the N.E. Lastly, the Nordstrom at MacArthur Center is not failing. I don't know where you get your information or how you would define "failing." True, they have not hit the 40 million/yr mark (thus failing to trigger the higher rent payments--this is the only way we would know given the sales figures blackout); however, my sources tell me that sales at the Norfolk Nordstrom have been on the upswing for over 2 years--and this in a difficult retail environment nationally.

Burt--The Cheesecake Factory at Town Center is one of the largest and most architecturally dynamic in the chain. Infact, the president of the company would like to see the concept (including the 37 ft ceilings) used in future build-outs. Also, with respect to sales figures, as of June 2005, the T.C. store was the #2 location in the Mid-Atlantic (Balt to Atlanta), just behind the Tyson's Galleria store. Lastly, the TC Cheesecake is on track to do some 13.7 million dollars this year--and this with Town Center not yet completed!

Burt--The Cheesecake Factory at Town Center is one of the largest and most architecturally dynamic in the chain. Infact, the president of the company would like to see the concept (including the 37 ft ceilings) used in future build-outs. Also, with respect to sales figures, as of June 2005, the T.C. store was the #2 location in the Mid-Atlantic (Balt to Atlanta), just behind the Tyson's Galleria store. Lastly, the TC Cheesecake is on track to do some 13.7 million dollars this year--and this with Town Center not yet completed!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good lord! :o I knew they were doing some crazy business but wow. It's understandable though because the last few times I've walked around TC it's been absolutely packed. Add in the residents this fall from the Cosmo and in 07' from the Westin and they may have to upgrade the store. I can't wait til they get those pedestrian bridges up though and any resturant/retailer etc. would do well to lobby the city to get those up sooner rather than later. I can only imagine the spillover business that will occur if they do.

I was in Cheesecake the other day buying a gift card and the waitress said they are very busy but she said lunchtimes are not too busy still. But one has to consider the 15-20 retail shops that are to be located there have not even opened yet! But overall they are a very busy restaurant. Just wait until all the retail has opened and I believe they may be vying for the #1 position. I wish the retail would hurry along and open! :wacko:

Good lord! :o I knew they were doing some crazy business but wow. It's understandable though because the last few times I've walked around TC it's been absolutely packed. Add in the residents this fall from the Cosmo and in 07' from the Westin and they may have to upgrade the store. I can't wait til they get those pedestrian bridges up though and any resturant/retailer etc. would do well to lobby the city to get those up sooner rather than later. I can only imagine the spillover business that will occur if they do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel like I'm coming out of a scene of Mr. and Mrs. Smith or Mission Impossible when dodging traffic across Va Beach Blvd. I hope they do put up the pedestrian bridges because I think that will draw a lot more traffic from one side to the other and vice-versa.

I was in Cheesecake the other day buying a gift card and the waitress said they are very busy but she said lunchtimes are not too busy still. But one has to consider the 15-20 retail shops that are to be located there have not even opened yet! But overall they are a very busy restaurant. Just wait until all the retail has opened and I believe they may be vying for the #1 position. I wish the retail would hurry along and open!  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, they need to add more entertainment to the area. I'm not just talking about performing arts etc, I'm talking about turning part of the area into a Granby street type environment (for we locals who would like to go to the clubs without having to deal with all the tourist/traffic **cough** oceanfront **cough**). They have several clubs in the Granby district and it has become one of the places to be on the weekend. There is the possibility for Va. Beachs TC to become the national model instead of Restons. The way things have been going, people are really starting to take note. At any rate, i know it's a bit off-topic, but for some reason thats been on my mind. :lol:

Well there is still some space left it would seem. Even if the Cosmo's ground floor space is all called for you have the new tower ground floor space (Columbus Center parking lot), and that parcel of land just west of the Cosmo (where the houses still are.. even though I wonder if Parisian is being built there!), the ground floor of Dicks Sporting Goods and perhaps the Westin as well.

Also, they need to add more entertainment to the area. I'm not just talking about performing arts etc, I'm talking about turning part of the area into a Granby street type environment (for we locals who would like to go to the clubs without having to deal with all the tourist/traffic **cough** oceanfront **cough**). They have several clubs in the Granby district and it has become one of the places to be on the weekend. There is the possibility for Va. Beachs TC to become the national model instead of Restons. The way things have been going, people are really starting to take note. At any rate, i know it's a  bit off-topic, but for some reason thats been on my mind.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think in terms of creating a true atmosphere for development to start from, TC should have 1 or 2 fairly large clubs with supporting businesses like coffeehouses and a few somewhat upscale bars or lounges. Something to set the tone for the area and something that can have people in the area for a very considerable amount of time at night.

I think in terms of creating a true atmosphere for development to start from, TC should have 1 or 2 fairly large clubs with supporting businesses like coffeehouses and a few somewhat upscale bars or lounges.  Something to set the tone for the area and something that can have people in the area for a very considerable amount of time at night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. Coffee houses, Bistros, all that stuff that gives a DT that more cosmopolitan (I mean they did name a building that :rolleyes: ) feel.

Hoobo--First of all, Parisian cannot be considered less upscale than Dillard's and Macy's. If you've ever seen the flagship stores at Riverchase Galleria in Birmingham (Parisian's HQ city) or at Phipps in Atlanta, you would know that Parisian--at its best--offers nearly 300,000 sq ft of beautiful, upscale merchandise. Of course, Parisian, like Macy's and Dillard's, does tailor some of their smaller stores to the particular market/submarket. Secondly, Macy's and Dillard's are not the same. Again, if you've ever seen the Dillard's at the Galleria in Dallas or other major S.W. cities (and even the one at MacArthur which has a SPA and faxes in some dressing rooms), you would know that Dillard's can be quite fashionable--with boutique sensibilities. Macy's has more of a tendancy to gear down their merchandise to the market/submarket, though there are some wonderful Macy's stores in the N.E. Lastly, the Nordstrom at MacArthur Center is not failing. I don't know where you get your information or how you would define "failing." True, they have not hit the 40 million/yr mark (thus failing to trigger the higher rent payments--this is the only way we would know given the sales figures blackout); however, my sources tell me that sales at the Norfolk Nordstrom have been on the upswing for over 2 years--and this in a difficult retail environment nationally. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Parisian is the mother of Saks Fifth Avenue company, isn't it? Headquartered in Birmingham, I believe.

Good news about the success of CF at TC. Number 2 in the Mid-Atlantic - Hey! I haven't eaten at the Richmond (Short Pump) store, but peeked in one lunchtime. It appeared smaller than I expected but was very attractive with high ceilings - but I'm sure they didn't soar 37 feet. It was jam-packed with a line, but they let me go to the bar.

Parisian is the mother of Saks Fifth Avenue company, isn't it?  Headquartered in Birmingham, I believe.

Good news about the success of CF at TC.  Number 2 in the Mid-Atlantic - Hey!  I haven't eaten at the Richmond (Short Pump) store, but peeked in one lunchtime.  It appeared smaller than I expected but was very attractive with high ceilings - but I'm sure they didn't soar 37 feet.  It was jam-packed with a line, but they let me go  to the bar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the site it is owned by Saks. It's upscale and one of several stores operated by the Saks Company (including Saks 5th Avenue, OFF 5TH, Parisian, etc). They have over 330 stores in 39 states... I think they should add another store over here ;)

Thanks guynvb!  :thumbsup:  It looks rather upscale... idk how it would fit in with existing retail in the TC area, but I think it would be one hell of an addition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, you're not kidding. It does seem to be quite upscale.

Speaking of bars/lounges, the Red Star Tavern seems to be doing very well at night packing them in.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oyster Point's was being built at break-neck pace for months, but lately it seems like it's stalled out. I've heard it's excellent, but I guess Peninsula residents will have to wait a little while longer...

Speaking of bars/lounges, the Red Star Tavern seems to be doing very well at night packing them in.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I have been there. Very nice atmosphere and they have appetizers big enough to choke a donkey :lol:. I'll definately be making a return visit.

Yes, I have been there. Very nice atmosphere and they have appetizers big enough to choke a donkey :lol:. I'll definately be making a return visit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love the interior of that place. It is quite upscale yet kind of cozy with the plasma tvs and the nice stone columns. I would love something like that in my house lol.

Archived