Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Regarding the WDW purchases.  As @klstorey wrote, a lot of it is conservation mitigation.  But I will say that I've heard rumours regarding the 2040 / 2050 Master Plan being updated, with a long term goal of eventually making an "office park" over there for all the administrative offices since the land where Partners / Casting / Team Disney / Feature Animation / WDI is all prime real estate that could be used to expand Disney Springs / Studios / Epcot respectively.

• Like 1

Is it lights out for Holy Land Experience? Ken Storey seems to think so:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/01/07/in-a-major-overhaul-orlandos-holy-land-experience-will-end-all-theatrical-productions

From Orlando Weekly

They just needed an ark! Jim Bakker’s been trying a comeback - he might be just the ticket!

Edited by spenser1058

the gondola system is pretty solid.  the stations are all themed perfectly to their host resorts.  MGM station looks identical to the MGM motif.  etc.

the transfer station is awesome.  three separate lines converge there:  Art of Animation/Pop; MGM; EPCOT/Riviera/90 degree turn.

there is no music, but you get periodic updates from the intercom.  the gondolas dock almost perfectly level with their platforms when you enter and exit.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:44 PM, spenser1058 said:

Is it lights out for Holy Land Experience? Ken Storey seems to think so:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/01/07/in-a-major-overhaul-orlandos-holy-land-experience-will-end-all-theatrical-productions

From Orlando Weekly

They just needed an ark! Jim Bakker’s been trying a comeback - he might be just the ticket!

And now they may be listing the entire park and surrounding properties for sale. TBN owns 65 acres with an assessed value of $70 M in the tourist corridor. They have contracted a realtor re potential sale, but no final decision has been made. 

Also mentioned in the article "Andretti Indoor Karting & Games — a 150,000-square-foot concept on International Drive with kart racing, arcade, laser tag, bowling, food and beverage and more — wants to roll out a second Central Florida location near Walt Disney World."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/01/10/on-the-market-holy-land-experience-theme-park-in.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

I’ve never been a fan of HLE and it’s inescapable their corner probably has a higher and better use than as a third-tier theme park.

Nevertheless, it seems to be axiomatic that when The Mouse and/or Uni ramp up their offerings, we lose another quirky small attraction.

That of course makes me love Gatorland that much more. They keep finding ways to make a typical roadside Florida attraction of the 1950’s relevant despite what the big boys down the road do. Hopefully, the next generation of Godwins are as invested in keeping things going for another 70 years.

While we’re on Conroy, isn’t it interesting Detroit hasn’t seen fit to open an outpost in that burgeoning automotive cluster?

While they started out with just the high-end brands out there, Toyota now has a dealership. 

If they wanted to go just upmarket, the Big Two could do Cadillac and/or Lincoln.

“Bread and butter” Ford and Chevy dealers would hardly be out of place as both makes abandon the market for affordable transportation. These days, it’s not at all difficult to spend close to a 100K on a pickup truck.

Edited by spenser1058

I never once thought about it, but valid question.  I would kill for a decent Chevy dealer.  My first Malibu I purchased in Florida I had to go to Jon Hall in Daytona, and my newest one I had to go to Castriota in Hudson which is somewhere super north Tampa / Tarpon Springs area.  And Autonation is so awful, so for service I go down to Starling in Kissimmee.

• Like 1

I’m probably a bit odd in that my dad always said that the dealer was as important, and often more so, than the car. In my first car-buying outing I learned that to be true the hard way.

My parents bought their cars at McNamara Pontiac for years. I learned (and got to know one of the brothers, which helped) I could trust Don Reid Ford over the years.

The Starling family has that sort of reputation and is one of the last family dealerships in the area.

Now that Don Reid is gone and Ford’s getting out of the car business (I hate driving SUVs and trucks - I got spoiled years ago with the zoom-zoom nature of my FIAT Spider - I can’t imagine driving a minibus but I suppose those folks aren’t really fans of driving) so I have no clue what my next car is going to be.

Edited by spenser1058

Well, if you thought WDW’s third park might one day become “Disney -FOX Studios”, some disappointing, however hardly surprising, news.

20th Century FOX and FOX Searchlight Pictures will.also lose the FOX.

More changes may be coming with  TV production. 

Since the TV network and FOX News stayed with Rupert, @Dale will be pleased to know those names will stay put.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/ct-ent-disney-fox-rename-20200117-ytbvfutodrdd3jc3ww5uk7ax2q-story.html

From the Sentinel 

On 1/17/2020 at 3:23 PM, spenser1058 said:

Well, if you thought WDW’s third park might one day become “Disney -FOX Studios”, some disappointing, however hardly surprising, news.

20th Century FOX and FOX Searchlight Pictures will.also lose the FOX.

More changes may be coming with  TV production. 

Since the TV network and FOX News stayed with Rupert, @Dale will be pleased to know those names will stay put.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/ct-ent-disney-fox-rename-20200117-ytbvfutodrdd3jc3ww5uk7ax2q-story.html

From the Sentinel 

So is 2oth Century Fox, Fox Sports, Fox News- all owned by Disney now?

On 1/17/2020 at 3:04 PM, orange87 said:

paywall.  did you read the article?  if so, what did it say?  thx.

FOX Regional Sports Networks were spun off (anything else sportswise I’m unsure of but I can’t imagine the feds would allow Disney to have anything sports-related due to ESPN/ABC Sports);

Rupert still owns FOX News and the FOX TV network;

20th’s movie and TV production now belongs to the Mouse.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

FOX Regional Sports Networks were spun off (anything else sportswise I’m unsure of but I can’t imagine the feds would allow Disney to have anything sports-related due to ESPN/ABC Sports);

Rupert still owns FOX News and the FOX TV network;

20th’s movie and TV production now belongs to the Mouse.

Fox Sports 1 and FOX Sports Florida didn't have a very long life did it?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So is 2oth Century Fox, Fox Sports, Fox News- all owned by Disney now?

paywall.  did you read the article?  if so, what did it say?  thx.

The Skyplex folks acquired another 1.5 acre parcel contiguous with their land directly north on Canada Ave, giving them 10% more space. This also gives them the land directly across from their proposed employee parking area that was previously seperated, so they won't have to walk past other people's property to get there. Unfortunately no new updates on actually starting the project, which was now split into multiple phases... phase 1 will be the tower only on existing empty land.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aent said:

The Skyplex folks acquired another 1.5 acre parcel contiguous with their land directly north on Canada Ave, giving them 10% more space. This also gives them the land directly across from their proposed employee parking area that was previously seperated, so they won't have to walk past other people's property to get there. Unfortunately no new updates on actually starting the project, which was now split into multiple phases... phase 1 will be the tower only on existing empty land.

does the Skyplex have legs?  Money?  Have they leased the Hollywood Garage yet?

53 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

does the Skyplex have legs?  Money?  Have they leased the Hollywood Garage yet?

Well, the Mangos business is very profitable from my understanding. The Hollywood Garage as far as I know has had nothing leased as of yet that hasn't fallen through. He's had a few deals that fell apart. I think the road construction right there is gonna make it tough until thats wrapped up. My best guess is they'll build the tower to open around the time Universal's Epic Universe is about ready to open. I think there is demand for the project, and he will be able to get it done, just super late and delayed.

• Like 1