Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

23 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Yes, and the parking garage was one of the first couple of components of the Developer's plan for several more phases of the complex around it. However, it also provides the added benefit of revenue generation to help pay for ongoing build-out of the later phases. There is a need for parking in the area, and it also serves as generation of cash flow to help finance the payoff of existing debt as well as part of financing future projects. 

Yes.  Whenever the Wyndham has a convention going on, forget about finding any parking in their lot if you want to eat at Chuy's or the like.  The Hollywood Plaza Garage will be very beneficial in that respect, except for the live action "Frogger" scenarios it may create from jaywalkers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Apartments to fill the vast parking lots at the ill-fated Artegon project?

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/01/31/trumps-friend-michael-dezer-file-plans-for-new-apartments-at-former-artegon-mall-in-orlando

From the Orlando Weekly (good to see an article from Paul Brinkmann again)

interesting details; they don't want Fuddrucker's to stay; but they are putting in a go-kart track and vintage pinball machine arcade, and they are building a 5 story apartment building at the SE corner.  

I can't believe they can't get a retail concept inside that existing structure that makes money.  When it was Festival Bay they brought in 3-4 outlet stores that eventually ended up leaving.  Unfortunately for them, Bed Bath, Ross, etc are virtually across the street so they can't go that route for retail.

They need a business that compliments Bass Pro.  At One Daytona, Bass Pro is very busy.  next to it are restaurants and a cinema.  I think they need to build out restaurants.  They are missing the boat on that one too, being that they just opened up Bahama Breeze, Longhorn, and Starbucks a block away at that Grand National Plaza.

These guys may have done a good job in WPB with trump Towers, but, with retail, they seem to be striking out. 

Unicorp should've bought that.

OR

Maybe their intention was never to retail it up.  Maybe they thought Universal was going to buy the land and they wanted to hold out long enough to sell and make a profit.  But, Universal purchasing the land seems very unlikely now if they build an apartment building there.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

interesting details; they don't want Fuddrucker's to stay; but they are putting in a go-kart track and vintage pinball machine arcade, and they are building a 5 story apartment building at the SE corner.  

I can't believe they can't get a retail concept inside that existing structure that makes money.  When it was Festival Bay they brought in 3-4 outlet stores that eventually ended up leaving.  Unfortunately for them, Bed Bath, Ross, etc are virtually across the street so they can't go that route for retail.

They need a business that compliments Bass Pro.  At One Daytona, Bass Pro is very busy.  next to it are restaurants and a cinema.  I think they need to build out restaurants.  They are missing the boat on that one too, being that they just opened up Bahama Breeze, Longhorn, and Starbucks a block away at that Grand National Plaza.

These guys may have done a good job in WPB with trump Towers, but, with retail, they seem to be striking out. 

Unicorp should've bought that.

OR

Maybe their intention was never to retail it up.  Maybe they thought Universal was going to buy the land and they wanted to hold out long enough to sell and make a profit.  But, Universal purchasing the land seems very unlikely now if they build an apartment building there.

An LLBean store would look very nice next to Bass PS (hey, a boy can dream - the Mainers at Bean seem to be scared to death of Southerners with no stores south of DC).

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Errm, not quite true. I don't know the details, but the owners of Fuddruckers sued to stop the development because the change of concept may damage Fuddrucker's business.  Thats why Denzer wants them out.

43 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Maybe they thought Universal was going to buy the land and they wanted to hold out long enough to sell and make a profit.  But, Universal purchasing the land seems very unlikely now if they build an apartment building there.

I'm convinced Universal had it under contract at some point. Denzer wasn't the original buyer, the original buyer had the empty property south of Artegon under contract as well, with the contracts contingent on them getting both parcels. Denzer didn't go for the property south of Artegon, that never sold, so its clear he wasn't the one involved in the original transaction.

I personally don't get whats with the obsession with building apartment complexes on I-Drive and Universal Blvd on the tourist corridor. That just doesn't seem like the best use for me, and I feel like they'll be angry residents surprised by Universal's and others expansions coming up in that very area, and the additional noise and traffic that it brings, even though those people are moving onto freakin I-Drive.

• Like 2

Artegon Mall news:

ORLANDO, Fla. - The largest private collection of cars in the world is hidden away in Orlando.

The cars are part of a new entertainment and event center that's now inside the old Artegon Mall.

It will be called Dezerland Action Park Orlando.

"Real estate tycoon and billionaire Michael Dezer is turning the old Artegon Mall into the most expensive toy box on the planet.

The attraction will be more than 600,000 square feet in size.

"He wanted to really show off everything he had. He didn't want to keep things in storage," Mand said.

The biggest private car collection in the world was tucked away and out of sight, but now attendees can watch a drive-in movie in them or throw a birthday party in the Batcave."

Many of the cars are the original cars from classic movies and TV shows.

There will also be a pinball arcade and a collection of bicycles and Vespas, etc.

Report with video sneak peak: https://www.wftv.com/news/local/largest-private-car-collection-in-world-to-welcome-guests-in-orlando/912815794

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aent said:

I'm convinced Universal had it under contract at some point. Denzer wasn't the original buyer, the original buyer had the empty property south of Artegon under contract as well, with the contracts contingent on them getting both parcels. Denzer didn't go for the property south of Artegon, that never sold, so its clear he wasn't the one involved in the original transaction.

I personally don't get whats with the obsession with building apartment complexes on I-Drive and Universal Blvd on the tourist corridor. That just doesn't seem like the best use for me, and I feel like they'll be angry residents surprised by Universal's and others expansions coming up in that very area, and the additional noise and traffic that it brings, even though those people are moving onto freakin I-Drive.

I agree about the Universal thing.

I think the apartments going up along I-Drive is a good thing.  There's a big complex just off of Darryl Carter behind the new Marshall's plaza.  Then, heading north, there is one complex after another that have been built all the way up to Westwood- and a new one on Westwood south of CFLA Pkwy, and the new ones at the intersection with CFLA Pkwy.  Not to mention the ones at Palm Parkway and nearby.  I think the mixture of uses will help isolate I-Drive from being too reliant on tourist money.  When I say I-Drive, I also mean Universal Blvd and other neighboring roads.

What came first, resident or the attraction?  It's the oldest debate and struggle in the book.  Orangewood vs Skyplex; a classic example.

10 hours ago, W7edwin said:

I agree, I work at the Wyndham and I dont  dare to go that far at Chelonia lol 

It's worse than that!  Those shots were taken off of the EB SR 536 ramp to I-4 leaving WDW property; my night shots above are from Chelonia Pkwy...

very bahlzee

• Thanks 1

It’s official- while Orlando is preparing for what may be its biggest year ever at the theme parks, Dubai has canceled plans for a Siz Flags park since the existing ones aren’t meeting projections.

When it comes to theme parks, we’re Still the One!

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201902/6591/

From Theme Park Insider 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:48 AM, spenser1058 said:

Latest Universal rumors from a Nintendo perspective:

https://orlando-rising.com/nintendo-universal-attractions-will-be-really-worth-the-wait/

From Orlando Rising 

Yeah, Nintendo IP...that's huge.  I really think they should implement character greetings with a full on Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, DK, DK Jr., Samus (Metroid),and Kirby (etc.) to challenge WDW's character greeting.  Pokémon and Pikachu will have it's space at Universal. 

The problem is that Disney has a bunch of princesses; a small army of them; ingenious really.  And the cartoons are imprinted on kids' brains long before they ever learn to play Nintendo.  But, Nintendo has been a stable of, among other things, cutesy games since the mid-'80's.  That's a long while, and the brand has been built up and reinforced from the NES to the SNES to the N64 to the Gamecube to the Wii to the Wii U to the Switch.  It's ongoing.

• Like 1

1970’s and ‘80’s garden motels are rapidly being replaced by mid rises and towers as Orlando matures as a destination. Look also for a resurgence of the Kissimmee/US 192 area after a 20-year slump:

https://orlando-rising.com/what-to-expect-from-orlando-hotels-in-2019/

From Orlando Rising

Have you seen Kirkman Rd at I4 lately? Between all the new hotels and Ultimate work going on, it is totally transformed (I miss the patch of woods in the median, though).

Edited by spenser1058

Oops! Orlando code enforcers stop work at former Arredondo/Festival Bay for lack of proper permits by new owners:

https://www.wftv.com/amp/news/local/orlando-code-enforcement-orders-work-to-stop-on-dezerland-action-park/918446580

From WFTV

Yep, this place is cursed. Time to just tear it down and build a Wawa (it’s already equidistant between two 7-Elevens)?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

No, no, noooo!!!! I want the car museum and amusement center thing!!!!!

Saw the report on the news. The guy said they'd get the permits. :thumbsup:

They also said Artegon was going to be the most cutting-edge, successful mall in Orlando. It’s probably best to not hold your breath. Or, who knows, it could become the next location for Vertical Medical City on its whirlwind tour of Orlando. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1