DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

This is a great discussion. I have always loved this building, indeed all of the Harris Ave area is interesting to me. Much has changed and much has been lost. I'd hate to see this building go, although it sure looks likely, and I agree with the other posts that the people of RI should not also be screwed out of real money in the process. I have posted some pictures here. I'm trying to dig up some others.

More Pics Here

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly! It is a good discussion, and that's exactly why I love living in Providence. It's corrupt and the economy sucks, but there's such an intense dialogue here about the kind of issues like this one. Jencoleslaw has a very valid point in wanting to live in a bigger, less tight-knit place, where it's harder to be personally offended by the actions of the power wielding few. It's why many people leave. But I would never trade that for the level of everyday peoples' involvement in the life of the city that I see here.

Maybe I'll stay here forever, more than likely I'll be in and out over time. But either way, I'd never live anywhere again where I feel the level of powerlessness that I've felt in every other American city I've visited. This is a good place.

Let's get this topic back on message though. This building has the potential to be a walkable from downtown shopping and eating destination and instead will now screw the state out of several million dollars, turn into a suburban strip plaza with acres of parking, really doing nothing for anyone except the developer's mink-lined pocket, and perhaps Jim who really wants a Target in the city.

I also support a Quincy Market type thing, its perfect, and would cause lunch time foot traffic to extend city to the Promenade.. Who knows, maybe a few ALCO workers would walk down the river and grab lunch there.. On the way back they might temp that Dean overpass and not peril.. You can easily walk under the mall (safely) to get there from downtown...

Senor Ward, I wrote that parking part for you, I'm glad you liked and noticed that.. :P

I also support a Quincy Market type thing, its perfect, and would cause lunch time foot traffic to extend city to the Promenade.. Who knows, maybe a few ALCO workers would walk down the river and grab lunch there.. On the way back they might temp that Dean overpass and not peril.. You can easily walk under the mall (safely) to get there from downtown...

Senor Ward, I wrote that parking part for you, I'm glad you liked and noticed that.. :P

What about a recreational facility, maybe something along the lines of Chelsea Piers on the west side of Manhattan, an urban sports complex for downtown city dwellers?? Indoor tennis, driving range, track... something like that...

I think that is a better use than the "Quincy Market" idea. One can walk under the mall to get to this area, but it is a terrible experience, and I doubt the mall will fix it to boost the popularity of a non-mall attraction.

I'd rather see the "Quincy Market" "Public Market" concept someplace in the traditional core of Downcity or the Jewelry District. My Sim City Providence locates it on the surface lot remaining at Union Station, serving as a link between the mall and the Westminster shopping district.

I like the idea of getting Carp to pay a ten million dollar fine if they take the building down. It would be a fine for their negligence in letting the building deteriorate further. Of course, they'd fight it in court (and win, probably) because the state never included the correct provision to save the building in the first place. But hopefully it would send a message. Maybe even get talked down to a lessor fine, but a fine nonetheless.

I'm just sick of seeing this pattern of low bid purchase > neglect > "emergency demolition". It is a way for developers to get a costly rehab building off their hands.

Short of a major fine, I'm gonna stand on the 903 sidewalk with an air tester when they start to take it down. I bet asbestos was mixed in with the concrete, and as a public safety hazard, it is more of a hazard when they take it down. They should wrap the whole thing in a bubble while they demolish it, or people at the 903 are going to suffer major air quality issues. Maybe that would make them rethink the plan to take it down.

DEM should step in and look into these matters, or it will become even more clear that the state doesn't give a crap about the measley tax payer who is out $10 million dollars, their own health, and a potentially great development.

funny you should say that there's a powerlessness in other cities you've visited. Of course you'll feel like you have more "power" in the city where you live. Who comes to Providence for the weekend and feels like they can make positive change? Who goes anywhere for a "visit" and feels that way? You feel the "power" when you make an investment, whether it is financial (relocating your business, or buying a home) or emotional.

But, i can tell you for certain that I've been in providence for over 20 years and the more involved I become the more powerless I feel. Because there's always someone with a fatter wallet and shinier shoes waiting to undo whatever work I've tried to accomplish. Will i miss being able to have access to information and have discussions about this sort of stuff--sure. Will i miss the fact that the law is twisted and bent on a daily basis to the benefit of scumbag developers and corrupt politicians? where it is "who you know" AND "who you blow?" Where neighborhoods and community organizations are pitted against each other to the detriment of the entire city? Not so much. and you can take that to the bank, friends.

Let's get this topic back on message though. This building has the potential to be a walkable from downtown shopping and eating destination and instead will now screw the state out of several million dollars, turn into a suburban strip plaza with acres of parking, really doing nothing for anyone except the developer's mink-lined pocket, and perhaps Jim who really wants a Target in the city.

well, now i regret that i won't be on the CPC the day that Kelly Coates comes back to the city with his big box retail suburban single story development with 500 parking spaces. I hope you guys won't let anyone forget this when (and if, i suppose since i'm sure the developer will figure out some way not to actually submit to any kind of oversight) this goes before CPC. The developer should have to donate that extra $10 mil to some non profit, like PPS or a CDC that actually has figured out how to rehab old buildings and put mixed use in them.

I love the way the News did a quick story a few days ago and emphasized footage of a fire being battled there, saying that the State and Preservationists "actually want to preseve" the building. Yeah, that's unbiased coverage.

Archived