Richland Mall Redevelopment

lastweek

Yes, I remember Mr Poppers at the original Richland Mall. I can even remember when there was only 1 theater and the Smugglers Inn was at the end of the mall where Dillards was. There used to be a Big Star grocery store and a Russell Stover candy store in the parking lot. :P

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mary's Record Shop and Hickory Farms were amongst my favorite stores. Free samples @ Hickory Farms taught me about exotic cheeses outside of cheddar and swiss.

How exotic could you get in S.C. in the 1960's...................oh yes, I do remember............they had............ the "cheese ball"!

It was one theater, but twin screens. Did they ever dig up and open the time capsule that was buried there when they tore down the theaters?

Although I like the new Richland mall, I liked the old open air mall as well. Many childhood memories...

They did turn it into a twin theatre in the mid 70's or so, but before that it was a single. We got so excited when they added a 2nd screen, lol.

• 1 month later...

How in the world are we going to be able to support another retail center on Killian Road at I-77? I happened to drive by that site last night - I didn't know construction was already beginning. The project covers a huge area. Hopefully it will be more residnec/office/hotel oriented and focus less heavily on retail than Village at Sandhill. It will have a significant advantage being directly on I-77.

They haven't started yet on it...They only have the signs up (been the same for a year as I know it)...So far they just started on Midlands Honda and Super Walmart as well as a Neighborhood center near Longtown Rd. That's about it so far.

There was a huge area of cleared land on Farrow Road at Hardscrabble last night - what project is that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been so long since I've heard anything. I wonder if there are plans to put another anchor in where Parisian was.

A guy I know who works at Regal Cinema said he's heard rumblings from his manager that unless the new ownership has plans that would prevent it, they'd like to enlarge their square footage and add a few screens.

It's been so long since I've heard anything. I wonder if there are plans to put another anchor in where Parisian was.

A guy I know who works at Regal Cinema said he's heard rumblings from his manager that unless the new ownership has plans that would prevent it, they'd like to enlarge their square footage and add a few screens.

That would certainly be a positive occurance for the Mall. A development company with some real money could really turn Richland into a showplace.

Whoever currently owns the mall seems to be lazy on actively seeking a good buyer. The mall is already in a good location (near downtown, close to mature, young, working class and upper class residents), so I don't see what the big problem is with getting a good developer to help it take off....AGAIN.

First of all, recognizable and sought after stores are needed at this location. Orignally, I thought of Target, as Forest Drive needs one of these, but it might be too close to the one on Garner's Ferry. Also, I thought of Best Buy but that would probably be too close to the one on Two Notch. Regardless, there are plenty of stores (chain and local) and restaurants out there that this mall could use that would help it gain momentum.

Once that Best Buy on Two Notch moves out to the Sandhill/Killian Crossing area, FA will be an ideal place for one.

Best Buy won't close the location on Two Notch. It's one of the busiest stores in South Carolina. There are plans for an additional location in the Clemson Road area, but no closure of the existing.

Also Midtown at Forest Acres will have a huge problem taking off because most developers look for a center that is atleast 80% occupied to start redevelopment. Plans to turn the mall around should have started years ago. Once the busiest eatery in the food court, Sbarro, is now closed. The mall is in so much debt now, that my suggestion would be to turn it into a place for business. IT would make a great City Office complex and invite a few restaurants that have long wanted to be in the Forest Acres area, but have not because of limited space.

On another note, Belk isn't looking too healthy at Midtown. If something doesn't change, I don't see that location remaining for another year. Gymboree continues to struggle as well. They have talked of possibly relocating to Columbia Place.

It would be interesting to know if there are other malls in other cities that are "like" Richland Mall; midtown location, similar demographics of surrounding neighborhoods (and out to a 3-5 mile radius), parking garage on one side, plus street-level parking, etc.

It would be fun to know what similar malls have done to "redevelop" and become successful.

I was never that crazy about that last redevelopment plan with all the living space, etc.... I thought it was very interesting and looked like it might very well work, but it somehow seemed just a bit too grandiose... almost aiming too high. I would've liked to have seen it done, however... it was a very intriguing plan.

There's nothing wrong with aiming for the stratosphere, but I think it could have "backfired" insofar as the success of the mall and its stores.

I've mentioned this before in this thread, but I think a significant number of people are just too simple-minded to appreciate the genius of that parking garage and its many entrances into the mall... the fact that your car (and your access to the mall) is out of the weather... and would just rather park street level and walk 1/8 of a mile or more.

I think they feel safer that way than in a garage, even though that's not necessarily true.

I hope someone can make a success out of it. Making it 50-60% offices with some good restaurants, stores, and shops sprinkled throughout might be the way to go... at least most of the people who work in the offices, etc. would probably appreciate the parking garage... a lot of people have a much worse parking situation at their jobs.

I know I do. :P

There is a very similar style mall in Chestnut Hill, MA (Boston area) that has the parking underground though.....and it is 5 stories, but very very dense...like 6 or 7 stores on each level. The decor reminds me of Midtown too....its too bad that Midtown couldnt be like its MA counterpart Atrium...the Atrium has Borders, Cheesecake Factory, Bebe, MAC, Abercrombie & Fitch, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Anthropologie, GAP, and others....

Archived