Richland Mall Redevelopment

lastweek

Oh my God, have we really gotten to the point where we consider an Apple Store and that nasty Cheesecake Factory as "high-end" retail?

First rule of thumb: trendy and high-end are NOT the same thing.

The fact of the matter is that, for the most part, we really only have what you could consider upper level mid-tier retail throughout our cities. The very few high-end exceptions are due to the wealthy tourists who come to SC with lots of money to spend. Once you eliminate the tourist factor, the truth is that there are very few differences in the retail scenes of each of our major cities. Each one has stores/restaurants that the other doesn't have or got some of those stores or restaurants first; big friggin' deal. I don't mind some nice chains here and there, but they are hardly the sign that a city has "arrived."

All I said was that Greenville is probably going to get an Apple Store and Cheesecake Factory at Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center. There is nothing wrong with that. Columbia can have one too if they want. I never said they couldn't support one. I'm not saying these stores are high-end, but they are definitely ones every city would like to have and would be very proud of. Most cities that have these types of stores are large and/or make them feel large except for tourist cities like Myrtle Beach.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I said was that Greenville is probably going to get an Apple Store and Cheesecake Factory at Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center...I'm not saying these stores are high-end...

Your exact words:

Look at Greenville and something called http://www.magnoliapark.com/ that is going to mostly have only high end retailers such as the Apple Store, the Cheesecake Factory...

I think the reason there isn't as much high end retail is that, generally, South Carolinians are a conservative group, less inclined to chase the latest trend or show the trappings of wealth. Probably a leftover mindset from when we were a basically agricultural state.

Just a guess.

To go back to this, I'd say it's possible, or it could be that we don't have any big cities with very robust economies and lots of high-paying jobs (which, IMO, is more likely). We are surrounded by states that also have agrarian roots, but they have at least one city that has managed to grow substantially, both in terms of economy and population, within the past several years. We've not seen that type of growth.

I think the retail scene in our major cities is about the same when compared to other similarly-sized Southern cities/metros in other states.

Guys,

To follow up, peerless seems to have more trouble brewing in western N. Carolina. Look under Penland village and mitchell county. They have disapproved some building up there because the developer hasnt paid some epa violation fines. Looks like Peerless is a total goof operation.

On the hotel plan. Rick Patell has bought the old dillards. The building has to be seperated from the rest of the mall. I heard from a good source that the peerless group has been pushed to the very fringes of the opeations. If they can just get enough money to cut that building off from the rest of the mall the project can start moving forward. Some local guys with common sense have moved in with some capital and this thing may happen.

LoL....Poor Richland Fashion, whoops, Richland Mall, whooops, Midtown @ Forest Acres....what did it ever do to deserve this? Eckerd, Talbots, Sam Goody, Sunglass Hut, Claire's, Limited, Victoria's Secret, Bombay, Briar Patch, Dillard's, Parisian, have all closed, even the Dollar Tree dipped! :rofl:

LoL....Poor Richland Fashion, whoops, Richland Mall, whooops, Midtown @ Forest Acres....what did it ever do to deserve this? Eckerd, Talbots, Sam Goody, Sunglass Hut, Claire's, Limited, Victoria's Secret, Bombay, Briar Patch, Dillard's, Parisian, have all closed, even the Dollar Tree dipped! :rofl:

Poor thing. What's left. S&S? and books amillion. lol

Most major mall companies like General Growth, CBL and Simon have standards on what a mall should have to even be considered for aquisition. The average based on the three would mean Midtown at Forest Acres would have to be atleast 70% occupied and already market dominant for the area they serve. The mall still must be a destination.

People do still drive to Anderson for Anderson Mall

People still drive to Myrtle Beach for Colonial Mall Myrtle Beach

People still drive to Rock Hill for Rock Hill Galleria

People still drive to Northeast Columbia for Columbia Place

Despite these malls aren't the big cities dominant malls, they still serve their area and are atleast 80% or more leased. None of these malls have a office attached to it like a call center and all continue to add to their existing tenant mix.

Archived