Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

Well the authority voted 8-4 to raise our taxes. I just don't like a authority that has no checks and balances. The people have no say with this authority.

Since our taxes are going up, I wonder when some of these big projects are actually going to start. It better be soon if they start the first of the year for the taxes. I have a feeling it will be years before we even see any of the projects started. They better work on more than one project at a time as well.

Well the authority voted 8-4 to raise our taxes. I just don't like a authority that has no checks and balances. The people have no say with this authority.

Since our taxes are going up, I wonder when some of these big projects are actually going to start. It better be soon if they start the first of the year for the taxes. I have a feeling it will be years before we even see any of the projects started. They better work on more than one project at a time as well.

If you don't like the votes your seeing from the official representing your city, then don't vote for him/her in the next election.

The Poquoson mayor thing got old in a hurry. While i commend him for his stand the first night at the town hall in Hampton, 'resigning' was a publicity stunt, and looked especially bad when he had to rejoin the board because he was so blatantly unaware of the bylaws he helped write. <_< Then to walk off the dias and speak to the board as a 'concerned citizen'....smacks of the foundation for a congressional campaign, or more likely a state senate campaign. Very insincere and self-serving, and the schtick is old.

FYI, i'm all for the HRTA and new fees, we need the projects, and it wasn't coming for free. This is a step in the right direction, imo.

• 1 month later...

City plans ban for trucks on a certain heavily congested N-S artery. The best part of the article is the destruction of that God-awful HOV lane at the entrance of the Midtown!!!!! Get in line suckas!

While they are at it, they need to close off the left turn lane off southbound Hampton, just before the overpass, from 3:30 to 6, just like the approach from West Ghent on Brambleton. Too many people use it as a way to avoid the line-up by turning left, then up the hill to take a late entry into the line forming on Brambleton, often all the way back to Colley.

It is a scam, and needs to be cut off.

City plans ban for trucks on a certain heavily congested N-S artery. The best part of the article is the destruction of that God-awful HOV lane at the entrance of the Midtown!!!!! Get in line suckas!

The HOV would have been nice if only HOVs would use it... I self enforced it many times when I was going to ODU. A few times a string of cars behind me would self enforce and not let the SOV in either. It seems like the city would want to keep that lane though as it allows them to write about 60 tickets an hour if they enforce it.

• 1 month later...

Rep. Leo Wardrup was on the radio discussing the elections today... Someone called in and asked about light rail for the new crossings and Wardrup said in the latest plans, light rail was nixed because of the cost. That caller sounded like a true UP'er . :thumbsup:

Light rail was nixed for which crossings? The midtown? The third crossing? All of them? It sounds like these idiots sounded the death knell for a truly regional transit system. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Rep. Leo Wardrup was on the radio discussing the elections today... Someone called in and asked about light rail for the new crossings and Wardrup said in the latest plans, light rail was nixed because of the cost. That caller sounded like a true UP'er . :thumbsup:

UP'er... Upper Peninsula of Michigan, eh?

(kidding)

Light rail was nixed for which crossings? The midtown? The third crossing? All of them? It sounds like these idiots sounded the death knell for a truly regional transit system. <_<

The sad part is, that our transportation problems are chiefly vehicular traffic at the watercrossings. The solution, more capacity, is enormously expensive if the solution is only more vehicular capacity. We need to look at solutions that increase throughput -- and that is rail traffic through dedicated tubes.

Of course, if the real agenda is to get roadway tubes to move containers on trucks, while getting the average citizen to pay for them..........

• 2 months later...

I do have to agree with the part about being taxed and a authority that really answers to no one. How do we watch how this money is spent without any way of threatening these reps? We can vote out bad reps out of the their seat but their no checks and balancing with this authority. I don't think people mind being taxed for the roads but just the fact that their is no checks and balance with these people in the authority. Not good IMHO

• 4 weeks later...

I figured this would happen..no taxation without representation is a pretty basic premise. State leadership just needs to be creative in making things happen without violating the state constitution. I wonder if they could simply include one elected leader for each of the two regions that oversees these authorities to skirt the unconstitutional question.

Yeah, what about tweaking it so included areas vote for the Trasportation Authority Commissioner.

Would that suffice?

The court's issue was that for the state assembly to pass taxation power to someone was unconstitutional. How would included areas who voted against the authority vote for something they don't want? And as far as an elected leader, Fraim is an elected mayor, heads the board, so no go there either.

I'm just baffled by the overwhelming hatred towards this. Yes, it's not perfect, but it beats nothing, which is what we're left with now. The number of cars on the road is only going to go up, even with light rail, and traffic is only going to get worse and worse. Instead of paying pennies and dollars extra a year for the benefit of the area, people want to complain and moan because taxation without representation (which is factually untrue, we elected the Assembly, they're the ones originating the tax) would rather sit in traffic and watch the region stagnate like vdogg said. Nuclear is exactly right. HR is screwed. Anyone else know where we can find $20 billion?

The funny thing is, 15 years from now when business and industry are leaving, and ports are losing customers and revenue because companies can't move their goods around, the same people crying about the authority will be the first ones asking for heads to roll because the state "didn't do enough". Anyone want to bet against me on this one? :rolleyes:

I don't like a authority that really answers to no one. Thats pretty scary. Just because the city Mayor is elected to that office doesn't mean he is affected on the authority board. They need people to be elected by the public to be put in those chairs with time limits on each chair so if we get idiots we can move beyond them. Only makes sense to do it like that