Virginia Beach Development

vdogg

15 minutes ago, metalman said:

Where is the parking going?  They’re gonna need some substantial garages after taking up all that parking?

The rendering shows at least three parking garages. There’s a fourth shown on the far right/east side of the rendering as well but I believe that’s a separate project that has been proposed as well - pretty sure it’s been discussed here. 

• Like 1

How will it impact parking at the convention center or sports center, or is that large structure off to the center right a parking deck? The apartment directly across from the convention center is a pretty large parking lot.

I like the designs...like vdogg said it has a DC look. Hopefully it doesn't get watered down by any review boards.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BFG said:

How will it impact parking at the convention center or sports center, or is that large structure off to the center right a parking deck? The apartment directly across from the convention center is a pretty large parking lot.

I like the designs...like vdogg said it has a DC look. Hopefully it doesn't get watered down by any review boards.

I would expect the garages would include parking for all of the above - enough to replace the surface parking plus the new apartments. It’s significantly larger than any recent apartment project in the region so a phased approach could be a possibility. Not much details are known since it was a closed meeting so a lot more to come with the significant public investment that will be involved with the developer asking for them to be city owned. 

• Like 1

Read what Councilpersons Branch and Wilson are saying in that article. “Lots going on we are busy blah blah blah. We  can’t walk and chew gum at the same time blah blah blah. “ I think all that means is we would like to wait until our local developer buddies are in a position to bid, as well. Can we all name the names?  

Newsflash to those two: Capstone is a very large, minority-owned company with a proven track record of developing large projects such as this one.  I don’t believe that any local firm here would’ve proposed nearly 1000 apartments. For starters.  Reject them at your own peril.

Anybody remember how we treated Dallas-based Garfield Traub years ago when they proposed that Convention Center Hyatt Regency or whatever it was. Very poorly, that’s how. I remember writing Moss a couple of years ago supporting an RFP in hopes of attracting another outsider like Garfield Traub. Well Moss went completely ape in response  by emailing the entire City Council and carbon copying me, stating he is NOT in favor of a  public-private partnership on a convention hotel.  And he excoriated them almost as if he thought someone on Council had put little ol’ me up to writing the email. They did not. Lmao.  It was bizarre. This should be fun to watch. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

Wait...so NOW Rudee Loop is a priority? Reminds me of how they suddenly got cold feet about working with Norfolk on the outlet mall, and claimed they wanted to preserve Burton Station. 

Most real cities can handle two major projects or proposals at once. But I forgot this is Hampton Roads.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hard to call Bruce Smith et al a serious proposal. They brought nothing to the table...no renderings... nothing. It reminds me of when I was in highschool and I had a report that I had procrastinated on that was due the next day, so I would just turn in any bs I could think of.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, HRVA said:

Another demo project has commenced. The Pilot production building is being redeveloped for an apartment building.

image.thumb.png.b191f6e0f02eed3ba79d314f965d075c.png

There's real opportunity for redevelopment in that area with both it's proximity to light rail, and the new flyover that meets up with constitution. I imagine, many many years from now, a corridor of continuous urban development.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Proposed redevelopment of Kemps River Shopping Center to be heard by the Planning Commission this month. This site plan was posted on Nextdoor but renderings and more details will come out with the meeting package next week. I would expect your typical suburban apartment design. 
5E07DCD7-5E13-414D-A581-42A766D510E9.thumb.jpeg.c72b749f2acd6aaace06ec4b16cc9a62.jpeg

24 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

Blah. I know that center very well. It would very neat if the city would rezone that area for mixed use. It could be a great small town center type development for that sea of suburbaness.

Agree, the parking lot is already well situated to make a street grid. I would much rather see them build on these lots and keep the empty retail to market once construction is complete. The loss of the grocery space is disappointing especially with Publix entering the market. 

6 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Rosemary Wilson says she'll vote to purchase the Schooner Inn for nearly $18M,,, if and only if the property is set aside/designated/preserved as Green/Open Space.  That tells you where we're heading. The "majority" wants to vote NOW...before the new members come on board.   

Hmmm... Even if they do add that stipulation, the new majority can easily overturn it. That purchase is going to take time, I seriously doubt they'd close before the new year. Lot of 'I' s to dot and 'T' s to cross. Their rushing to do this before the new duly elected council is seated though does not sit well with me...

On 12/2/2022 at 2:22 AM, HRVA said:

Proposed redevelopment of Kemps River Shopping Center to be heard by the Planning Commission this month. This site plan was posted on Nextdoor but renderings and more details will come out with the meeting package next week. I would expect your typical suburban apartment design. 
5E07DCD7-5E13-414D-A581-42A766D510E9.thumb.jpeg.c72b749f2acd6aaace06ec4b16cc9a62.jpeg

I just did some research on this. Looks like there is a petition to not have it go through. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, urbanvb said:

Today I happened upon this demolition (Pembroke (2?). Vdogg, can you remind us what's going here?

PXL_20221215_171216449.jpg

It would appear to be this. No details on size or scope just yet. Not going to make another thread until I determine if it's significant or not.

Screenshot_20230110_152811_Chrome.jpg

Some research has me leaning towards this being a Marriott brand Hotel.

33 minutes ago, vdogg said:

It would appear to be this. No details on size or scope just yet. Not going to make another thread until I determine if it's significant or not.

Screenshot_20230110_152811_Chrome.jpg

Some research has me leaning towards this being a Marriott brand Hotel.

CoStar says 112 rooms & TownPlace Suites, as your snip states. That’s indeed a Marriott brand.  Construction start is listed as June 2024 but hopefully it’ll be sooner then that. 

ETA: the attachment for the site plan link you snipped states it will be 112 rooms & four stories. Hopefully they’ll step up the design relative to other locations of that brand but it certainly won’t be anything significant. 

Edited by HRVA

• 2 weeks later...

While this article more or less summarizes what has already been reported locally, it is exciting to see Richmond BizSense covering our area. Their reporting in Richmond is very thorough so even it’s just an occasional article, it’ll be an improvement over our current media options  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/25/va-beachs-sibony-family-adds-to-oceanfront-holdings-with-12m-deal/