sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

HR is slowly losing oppurtunities in pro sports. If Stern gives Vegas an NBA team, which is very likely, Magic Johnson wants to be in on it. Vegas landing a NBA team is much more likely than it landing a MLB team. Vegas will also remain a one-team town if it lands a team. With KC constructing a new arena, St. Louis's Savvis Center looking for an NBA tenant, Stern talking of putting a team in Baltimore, and the possibility of Vegas; the NBA appears out of the picture for HR. The NFL is a long shot considering it is a destination sport and DC, Baltimore, and Charlotte all have teams and strong regional pulls. The NHL and MLS are minor upgrades from AHL and A-League Soccer, respectively. So it's back to MLB. If Vegas gets a NBA team, HR's chances at landing a relocating baseball team rises dramatically. So, um, anyone like the Rays or the Fish?

HR is slowly losing oppurtunities in pro sports.  If Stern gives Vegas an NBA team, which is very likely, Magic Johnson wants to be in on it.  Vegas landing a NBA team is much more likely than it landing a MLB team.  Vegas will also remain a one-team town if it lands a team.  With KC constructing a new arena, St. Louis's Savvis Center looking for an NBA tenant, Stern talking of putting a team in Baltimore, and the possibility of Vegas; the NBA appears out of the picture for HR.  The NFL is a long shot considering it is a destination sport and DC, Baltimore, and Charlotte all have teams and strong regional pulls.  The NHL and MLS are minor upgrades from AHL and A-League Soccer, respectively.  So it's back to MLB.  If Vegas gets a NBA team, HR's chances at landing a relocating baseball team rises dramatically.  So, um, anyone like the Rays or the Fish?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly, most of your analysis is correct. Lets also not forget that Las Vegas will surpass Hampton Roads in population soon. I would love to see an MLB team more than anything else, but I would have doubts that we could fill a 35,000 seat stadium a lot. But then again, how many teams fill up their stadiums all the time?

HR is slowly losing oppurtunities in pro sports.  If Stern gives Vegas an NBA team, which is very likely, Magic Johnson wants to be in on it.  Vegas landing a NBA team is much more likely than it landing a MLB team.  Vegas will also remain a one-team town if it lands a team.  With KC constructing a new arena, St. Louis's Savvis Center looking for an NBA tenant, Stern talking of putting a team in Baltimore, and the possibility of Vegas; the NBA appears out of the picture for HR.  The NFL is a long shot considering it is a destination sport and DC, Baltimore, and Charlotte all have teams and strong regional pulls.  The NHL and MLS are minor upgrades from AHL and A-League Soccer, respectively.  So it's back to MLB.  If Vegas gets a NBA team, HR's chances at landing a relocating baseball team rises dramatically.  So, um, anyone like the Rays or the Fish?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll take the "Fish"! :silly:

I'll take the "Fish"!  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish cause I could see my Mets all the time! I'd have a tough time because I'm a one team man and I couldn't abandon the Mets and I would route for the home team but I would get over it quick if they came! I don't see the Marlins leaving Miami

Hm ... I think an MLS team could potentially do well here. Especially if team USA does as well or better in the 2006 world cup as they did in 2002. It could be the impetus for a lot of momentum for the sport, which has enjoyed a resurgence over the last few yrs or so. The 2-1 Chelsea-DC United game proved to many that our boys can scrap with the best of them and that was a huge spirit boost to many American players.

I just wish the stadium wasn't in BFE.

I wish cause I could see my Mets all the time! I'd have a tough time because I'm a one team man and I couldn't abandon the Mets and I would route for the home team but I would get over it quick if they came! I don't see the Marlins leaving Miami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree!! Exactly the same for me ... except I would love to see the mets come down to play more, lol. It's not easy to get the Shea even once a yr for me as much as I would love to.

Besides, I have secondary teams too. Sort of like how I love the mets but I'll settle for the Red Sox sort of thing.

Hm ... I think an MLS team could potentially do well here. Especially if team USA does as well or better in the 2006 world cup as they did in 2002. It could be the impetus for a lot of momentum for the sport, which has enjoyed a resurgence over the last few yrs or so. The 2-1 Chelsea-DC United game proved to many that our boys can scrap with the best of them and that was a huge spirit boost to many American players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the stadium really should've been built in Pembroke. But since it is where it is, the city needs to revise its Lake Ridge plans. (So I should really be working but instead I decided to fly around Virginia Beach on Google Earth) There's a lot of residential development down there and a couple big box centers up Princess Anne Road. The problem is there isn't much social life beyond the Amp and Sportplex. The city should reserve some land for future municipal center expansion or college development (something on the scale of CNU). Another parcel of land should be reserved for 18 to 36 more holes of golf and a golf/spa resort. There should be enough land for an urban village targeted to serve southern VB and Chesapeake (once the Southeastern Expressway is built).

This village would be no more than 4/5 stories in height (something in scale to the municipal center). There would be townhomes, apartments, and offices. But the focus of the center would be restaurants, a couple neighborhood type bars, cafes, and shops, kinda like Ghent. The idea would be to feed off of pre-game/concert and post-game/concert crowds. I believe this village would cut on traffic tie-ups during concerts because arrivals and departures would be spread over a longer period of time. The widening of PA down to the municipal center and the construction of the Southeastern Expressway should assuage traffic concerns. However, this village is not intended to be another TC, but rather a village center for all the neighborhoods popping up down there and as an attraction for concert and soccer match goers. Being able to have dinner before and possibly a couple drinks after would make attending a game in the middle of nowhere more appealing. In addition, such activities with the possibility for adding 18-36 more holes may finally lure a high-end spa/resort down there.

You are right about there not being a lot going on in the southern part of the city. Besides all of the residential, the court complexes, sports complex, and the golf course there is very little areas to interact - which is the results of that area being so suburban and being on the cusp on all other develoment. You have some good ideas it would seem. So public areas with shopping and restaurants would seem to be a good idea. Do you have experience or expertise in urban planning by chance?

You are right about there not being a lot going on in the southern part of the city. Besides all of the residential, the court complexes, sports complex, and the golf course there is very little areas to interact - which is the results of that area being so suburban and being on the cusp on all other develoment. You have some good ideas it would seem. So public areas with shopping and restaurants would seem to be a good idea. Do you have experience or expertise in urban planning by chance?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also the area you are referring to is around the green line so I don't know if you will see that kind of development there.

I do not have experience in urban planning per se, however I've taken a couple courses on the social workings of cities (and read additional titles on the subject) and I work in water/wastewater master planning. Although I'd prefer zoning regs that spur such a development by the private sector, sometimes the city has to get involved to create such a reality like VB did with TC.

Yes, the area is below the Green Line, but it is within the Transition Area. If I understand the Comprehensive Plan correctly, construction can occur within the transition area as long as it is fiscally neutral (generates positive cash/tax flow for the city) and doesn't strain the existing infrastructure and services. What I'm calling for is more of a commercial development rather than a residential one. Something along the lines of Ghent/Colley Ave or Merchant's Square. People come from all over for concerts and potentially for soccer games (not to mention youth games and tournaments at the Soccer Complex), then why not take more of their money? They're already making use of the infrastructure, so get a better return. And services will be minimally impacted (small residential component so not much population impact on schools, police already patrol at concerts and it really is intended to be more family-oriented, etc.).

Finally, just because the Army Corps said they won't approve the expressway in its current form doesn't mean the project is dead. It's too vital of a project for the region. Changes will be made to the alignment and a compromise will be reached. Anyway, the key consequence of the project is to provide a direct route for suburban Chesapeake to come to the Amp and Sportsplex as well as Corporate Landing.

Edited by hoobo

actually there is no way to change it as said in the article. There was no way to take less wetlands. It was looked at in multiple ways. I'm hoping that it does get built to help with future traffic issues just like the third crossing and hope that they will look at expanding the HRBT as well. I hope that something soon happens so that a sports team will come to this area. The team will bring us national attention along with other businessmen or women looking at this area for a good investment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think soccer would do very well here. Its only a half-victory for getting a major league team if you know what I mean. Its not one of the big 4 and it won't help Hampton Roads out that much. Heck I probably wouldn't even go to a game and I play soccer!

I don't think soccer would do very well here. Its only a half-victory for getting a major league team if you know what I mean. Its not one of the big 4 and it won't help Hampton Roads out that much. Heck I probably wouldn't even go to a game and I play soccer!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second that! I told some guys at work and they laughed at me and said so what!

I don't think that HR is a strong enough market for major league soccer. just so you know, I don't think Richmond is either. I think the vicinity to D.C. holds us back. As soccer grows and catches on more and more in this country, maybe. I think they are/ will try to structure similarly to the FA in England for example. They have the Premiership which would be comparable to the MLS. Next is the League Championship which is comparable to the USL (kickers and mariners league). What would be cool is to have it how they do in Europe where teams in the top division can be relegated to the lower division and teams from the lower division can be promoted to the top level. Think about it. The VA Beach mariners could get promoted to the MLS and take the place of say D.C. United! I think it will take time for something like this to be possible though. Even though pro soccer is becoming more and more successful and lucrative, its still somewhat fragile.

Big 4? Is the NHL even relevant anymore? I'd relegate it to the level of MLS and AFL.

It takes time to develop a fan base. A sport doesn't sprout over night. How many decades did basketball, both the NBA and ABA, flounder around until Stern and Jordan came along? Bird and Magic may have brought the NBA to the attention of America, but the marketing maven known as Jordan and the wiley Stern brought the NBA to center stage. Basbeall was the only major team sport for almost the first half of the past century. Football didn't really come along until the late 40's and early 50's. Boxing and tennis used to be major sports, now they are dying and no one seems to care. Golf and NASCAR are now major events. MLS, with the right star or stars and the right commissioner, can become a major player in the next 10-20 years.

only problem is great stars follow dollar signs$$$. If they can get paid 3,4 or more times as much in Europe,why would they play here. The level of play isn't high enough yet. If D.C. United could play Arsenal's or Bayern Munich's full starting squad, and be able to keep up, it would be different.The top soccer here is probably like the 2nd level over there. Not to mention the league is pretty small right now. In time it will improve, but we need to be able to spend more $$$, boost up the level of play, and attract more franchises.

Soccer is becoming as large a youth sport as football in many areas, particularly around here. Tabb (GO TIGERS!!!!) was the regional champs in girls and state runner-ups for boys. That wasn't relevant, I'm just proud of my team.

There's a huge youth fanbase here and I know many people that travel up to DC or to Raleigh or New York to watch the big games. If it was just 5 or 10 of my friends, that would be one thing, but it's dozens of them and they do it frequently. MLS/WUSA games and international exhibition games both. I'm not making this statement in relation to the adult population in HR, but the youth, at least in York County and much of the peninsula, there's a huge interest in soccer. I think it's a sport that could, if campaigned and advertised correctly, could make a killing in our region.