POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since they pioneered the concept of a conglomerate, how bout a bunch of different colors? :)

Personally I think the Financial Plaza building lighting is quite garish. I like it better during the holidays when it is red/green. Kinda cool that you can see it from 95 south all the way in MA, but the color is not exactly attractive to my eye.

I like soft blues and purples but I also think just leaving lights on in the windows works effectively too and gives a sense of soul. Sometimes simple is best.

would textron be lit like hospital trust is? What color would we like to see?

I dunno. I was thinking about it today. Just about anything they do is gonna look like a cheap knockoff of One Financial. Color? I'd like a blue, but I always like a blue. But the beacon atop the B of A building is sometimes blue. I like that a lot, but would two buildings with blue accents be too much?

Personally, I like the lights on One Financial. On clear nights, I can see them when I'm driving home across the Jamestown bridge.

Well said.

I agree; you make a great point about scale. PRV has an impressive skyline that appears taller anyway. It needs a tad more depth, breath, and diversity in the financial district.

My only comments are that 1) the OTW "spire will, at least at night, break it up a bit, 2) the Westin 2 will help distract from any "buzz" look, 3) if the Textron building was lite at the top it would actually help, and 4) a true 450-500' building in or near the financial district would make it the best skyline in NE.

I like to a play a game. Like I said, I'm obsessed with skyscrapers. Anyway, I call it the Hand of God game. I look for skyscrapers that I would like to pick up from their existing locations and put down in Providence. Obviously, I'm looking for buildings that "fit" (so to speak). But the only real rule is that I can't just pick a skyscraper: I have to know where I want to put it, too. And if that site is currently occupied by a building I want the city to keep, I have to have a place to put that, as well.

In my daydreams, there are a few 450+ footers that I would like. These are my favorites:

1) Smith Tower, Seattle [476 feet]: replacing 10 Weybosset St. Which is a nice building too, so rotate it one plot clockwise.

221251.jpg396767.jpg

2) 1 King West, Toronto [578 feet]: on the lot where Citizens Tower currently stands. But CT is a great building as well. Honestly, I'd like to see what CT would look like on the lot where the AmEx building stands. And AmEx building can go to ... Warwick, where it would fit right in at the office park off I-95.

354164.jpg356791.jpg

3) Goodwin Sqare, Hartford [522 feet]: stealing from our neighbors to the west. This is another one I'd like to see where Citizen's Tower is.

293613.jpg182642.jpg

Edit: but really, it's not about the height. My two wildcards are New Orleans' Hibernia Bank Bldg [355 feet] and Minneapolis' Foshay Tower [448 feet]. Classy buidlings, very classy. Who cares how tall they are if they look good? Take Boston, for example. Lots of height, compared to Providence. But their skyscrapers are terrible. Bulky. Blocky. Boxy. Stark. The only Boston building I'd even remotely want is the Custom House Tower [496 feet]. Boston has the worst skyscrapers of any major city, IMO. But that's because so many of their biggest were built in the '70's. In that sense, Providence is extremely lucky that its fortunes have risen & fallen at the times they have ...

• 3 weeks later...

What architectural style is 110? I'm tempted to say postmodern.

It's a strain of postmodern that blends modernist (glass facade) with more traditional (masonry facade) elements. I guess it's postmodern but it doesn't have that typical postmodern irony that you get from Philip Johnson's AT&T bldg or Michael Graves.

110's is definitely based on Fox and Fowle's work such as the Reuters Bldg and the Conde Nast Bldg in NYC. Notice the curving glass, the partial sections of masonry wall, and (with Reuters) the angular accents that jut out at the top. Waterplace also has a debt to the work of F&F.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=113813

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=113942

should the title of this trhread be changed to "In progress" yet (instead of proposed)??

Don't want to jinx it. They haven't actually started building yet, just clearing, and they haven't had an official ribbon cutting. So to keep away bad mojo, we'll keep it "Proposed" for now.

I actually had Capitol Cove marked "In Progress" at one point and look what happened there. :shok:

I'd like to see some renderings of 110 as it will look from its slender sides, the east & west -- say, from College Hill for example. All the renders I've seen have focused on how its front facade (the curved glass) and back facade (as seen from the State House) will look. Very nice to be sure, and I know those are the sides the designers want to promote because those are the "architectured" portions of the building, but IM(H)O that slender angle should be a distinctive element as well. I wanna see!

I especially want to see it from due east, which will be doubly interesting because the curvature of the front facade will make it look even more slender -- almost like a spire. Should be very cool.

::fingers crossed::

Most people I speak with (3 today), many of whom represent the highest echelon of Providence developers and bankers, absolutely do not expect this project to break ground. Just a word of caution.

What about " Grant's Block?" You work on the development team. Do you see that getting built or are there obstacles in the way?

Hi, new to the forum but I am the project manager for One Ten and I am glad to be a resource for any questions you may have. Contrary to Ari's assertion (I'd love to know your sources) we have secured all financing and will have an official "ground breaking" once we have stabilized the facade on Weybosset St. I am happy to make myself available to anyone with questions. Please understand I will not be able to answer everything (particularly who is buying/reserving) but I will be available to answer a lot of details. As for the east/west facade renderings I will soon be posting an animation on our site which actually does a fly-around of the building revealing all facades. In brief the west-facing looks a lot like the Westminster (north) facade with the exception of the spire. The east facade is very interesting as alluded to by an earlier post.

Archived