Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may mean little... There's already a CVS in the mall (sans pharmacy). They may be moving to a location that's either cheaper or more accessable for them (they're in an odd 3rd floor location now).

- Garris

Greater City Providence Urbanism Blog

http://www.gcpvd.org

Well the signs specifically say "CVS/pharmacy" If there is not a pharmacy, the signs usually reflect that by just saying CVS. Have to say it makes more sense than the Kennedy plaza location. Street level access across the street from the two major residential buildings downtown not to mention GTECH/BCBS RI, etc..

It will have a pharmacy, they are moving to the street location because there is not enough room in the 3rd floor location for a pharmacy.

I'm really skeptical about that ground floor location, it might as well not be in the mall, it is so far away from the traffic patterns of anyone walking through the mall. It is also almost completely isolated from the Downcity pedestrian street environment. I think it's biggest hope is attracting the Downcity residential population and I wonder if that population is large enough to support itself.

It will have a pharmacy, they are moving to the street location because there is not enough room in the 3rd floor location for a pharmacy.

I'm really skeptical about that ground floor location, it might as well not be in the mall, it is so far away from the traffic patterns of anyone walking through the mall. It is also almost completely isolated from the Downcity pedestrian street environment. I think it's biggest hope is attracting the Downcity residential population and I wonder if that population is large enough to support itself.

I'd keep both locations. That third floor store may be in an odd location but every time I go in there its jammed with customers. As I've only ever been in there for spur of the moment purchases (i.e. I remember I need something as I walk by) or for movie candy I doubt I'd ever visit the store if it was on the street. But hey - I'm only in PVD a few times a year so what do I know. :-)

Is this the spot on the corner of the building? If so, I'm not sure they'll do so well there. While I understand their move, that's a really bad spot. The Downcity residents are really the only thing that would be able to keep it alive there and it's not even near most of the residents, though perhaps a combination of residents and hotel guests will work for it.

While I thought it was an odd location for a CVS, I did go in there frequently when I was in the mall. I always needed something from it. It's also the only Hallmark location in the mall, which kind of sucks now that they're moving to the street level.

Is this the spot on the corner of the building? If so, I'm not sure they'll do so well there. While I understand their move, that's a really bad spot. The Downcity residents are really the only thing that would be able to keep it alive there and it's not even near most of the residents, though perhaps a combination of residents and hotel guests will work for it.

While I thought it was an odd location for a CVS, I did go in there frequently when I was in the mall. I always needed something from it. It's also the only Hallmark location in the mall, which kind of sucks now that they're moving to the street level.

How is not near the residents? Its friggin across the street from Waterplace and the Westin. You can see it from the either tower. Not to mention the people that work there. GTECH building, new BCBSRI, etc...

How is not near the residents? Its friggin across the street from Waterplace and the Westin. You can see it from the either tower. Not to mention the people that work there. GTECH building, new BCBSRI, etc...

I think there are more residents on Westminster and in Regency Plaza than the Westin and Waterplace, which both seem mostly empty still. I did, however, forget about the 903 and the Avalon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Providence Place holiday sales-tax receipts fall sharply

Sales tax receipts in December plunged by 31.5 percent, or about $820,000, compared to December 2007, according to the state Division of Taxation. Last December, stores and eateries paid $1.78 million in sales taxes, far below the record $2.6 million they turned over to the state from sales in December 2007.

http://newsblog.projo.com/2009/02/holiday-...s-t.html#446459

Story on NPR yesterday about the woes of Bowl and Board. They focused on the Brookline location, but mentioned that the Providence store is "squeaking by".

It would be very sad to see the Westminster St stores start to close up after so much work went in to making that area a real shopping destination.

I've been worrying about this lately too, although it seems sort of inevitable, since luxuries like high end retail are generally the first things to suffer in a recession. I'm surprised some of them have hung on this long. It does make me sad that bowl and board in particular is in trouble though; they're a really great, honest local business.

Story on NPR yesterday about the woes of Bowl and Board. They focused on the Brookline location, but mentioned that the Providence store is "squeaking by".

It would be very sad to see the Westminster St stores start to close up after so much work went in to making that area a real shopping destination.

Wow - they're in a tough spot. They closed the Cambridge store on Mass Ave. last July (after 42 years of business) and according to their website, the Hingham store closed in January 2008 (after 41 years of business). Hopefully they can hold on to the 3 remaining stores in Providence, Somerville and Martha's Vineyard.

Wow - they're in a tough spot. They closed the Cambridge store on Mass Ave. last July (after 42 years of business) and according to their website, the Hingham store closed in January 2008 (after 41 years of business). Hopefully they can hold on to the 3 remaining stores in Providence, Somerville and Martha's Vineyard.

This process is not only tragic for Bowl and Board, but for all local retailers. Perhaps a mass emailing or public announcement could declare a

• 2 weeks later...

Think of the impact of 100 people showing up and spending 10 bucks each. It won't pay the store's rent, but might prevent it from slipping over the edge. If these became daily announcements for a store of the day, psychologically the public might get used to going into stores and spending again, which on a small level could help reverse this seemingly never ending downward spiral.

After hearing the first npr story online, I decided to shop through their website. I got a great shower curtain and felt that this purchase would be a way of supporting the struggling company. So, don't forget this viable option of shopping from home to help the business. www.bowlandboard.com. Check it out!!!

I've been worrying about this lately too, although it seems sort of inevitable, since luxuries like high end retail are generally the first things to suffer in a recession. I'm surprised some of them have hung on this long. It does make me sad that bowl and board in particular is in trouble though; they're a really great, honest local business.

Interesting article in the NY Times yesterday about the businesses closing in an area in northwest LA that was becoming gentrified. I kept thinking about all of the stores on Westminster Street and how there are no "regular" stores there to anchor the area.

Interesting article in the NY Times yesterday about the businesses closing in an area in northwest LA that was becoming gentrified. I kept thinking about all of the stores on Westminster Street and how there are no "regular" stores there to anchor the area.

Well there's the stripper store right next to bowl and board. That counts for something.

This process is not only tragic for Bowl and Board, but for all local retailers. Perhaps a mass emailing or public announcement could declare a "shopping emergency day at XYZ Store today, visit them and buy something even if it's small, they need our help!." If a message like this comes from a neutral source, it might not be perceived as advertizing. Think of the impact of 100 people showing up and spending 10 bucks each. It won't pay the store's rent, but might prevent it from slipping over the edge. If these became daily announcements for a store of the day, psychologically the public might get used to going into stores and spending again, which on a small level could help reverse this seemingly never ending downward spiral.

i also agree that this is a fantastic idea....maybe you should attend the Downtown Merchant Assc. Meetings. http://www.providencedma.com/ oopps, looks like it no longer exists.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering it used to look like this-----

post-20580-1237412776_thumb.jpg

Awesome is a bit of an understatement.

That's the great thing about mid-century storefronts. They're almost always just glued over whatever's underneath, so it's relatively easy to just rip them off and polish up the original stuff.

Just as an aside, I absolutely LOVE the greek key pattern that they uncovered.

Just as an aside, I absolutely LOVE the greek key pattern that they uncovered.

Me too, I hope they powerwash it though, it's all dirty.

Considering it used to look like this-----

post-20580-1237412776_thumb.jpg

Awesome is a bit of an understatement.

I could tell stories about what the inside was like, but I don't want to make anyone ill. Suffice to say, there was a lot of work to do inside and out.

Archived