Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

There's a new place in where Jimmy John's was, Benders* Cafe.

*Bender being British slang for a homosexual, so I'm wondering where the name came from, maybe:

bender.jpg

I stopped at Benders today on the way home. I love it. Everyone go so they stay in business, I have a terrible track record with my favorite coffee shops closing.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know why the Providence Open Market moved from downtown to Lippitt park?

http://www.providenceopenmarket.com/

Not a bad thing at all, but I'm curious if this is related to anything going on at the Grant's block location?

i hope it's related to something going on at grant's block (other than movies). however, i disagree about it being a bad thing. it brings people downtown. it's in a central location where anyone that uses the bus can easily get to. lippitt park does none of those (not that getting people into lippitt park is a bad thing).

i hope it's related to something going on at grant's block (other than movies). however, i disagree about it being a bad thing. it brings people downtown. it's in a central location where anyone that uses the bus can easily get to. lippitt park does none of those (not that getting people into lippitt park is a bad thing).

I agree 100%. If there's nothing going on with Grant's Lot, I think the market absolutely should have stayed downtown. Couldn't they at least have put it in Kennedy Plaza? It would fit into the whole "up with Burnside Park" campaign beautifully.

I agree 100%. If there's nothing going on with Grant's Lot, I think the market absolutely should have stayed downtown. Couldn't they at least have put it in Kennedy Plaza? It would fit into the whole "up with Burnside Park" campaign beautifully.

what i think would be cool is if they closed off westminster between dorrance and matthewson and put the open market in the middle of the street. it used to be closed as the westminster mall. it would make for the providence version of many outdoor market areas (having just spent some time in burlington, i'm thinking the church street marketplace). the tents could go in the middle of the street and people could walk on either side of them. it would force the people down westminster rather than just to that one little corner.

what i think would be cool is if they closed off westminster between dorrance and matthewson and put the open market in the middle of the street. it used to be closed as the westminster mall. it would make for the providence version of many outdoor market areas (having just spent some time in burlington, i'm thinking the church street marketplace). the tents could go in the middle of the street and people could walk on either side of them. it would force the people down westminster rather than just to that one little corner.

I don't know, I don't think I can bring myself to condone closing Westminster again for any reason, be it temporary or otherwise. I have a hard time believing that space was "too small" or "not visible enough". How about using more of it for the market, and less of it for parking? Or how about just finding a different downtown park that's larger or more visible? Lots of other options.

I don't know, I don't think I can bring myself to condone closing Westminster again for any reason, be it temporary or otherwise. I have a hard time believing that space was "too small" or "not visible enough". How about using more of it for the market, and less of it for parking? Or how about just finding a different downtown park that's larger or more visible? Lots of other options.

I think once Weybossett is 2-way, Westminster will be less needed as a westbound artery through downtown. There's so little traffic on it on saturdays (until like 6 after the market is done) that it's not really a big deal to close it.

I agree, there are so many other places downcity or just on the edges that would provide more visibility.

1. The triangle parcel on memorial Blvd. If it is still under control of the City Redevelopment Agency.

2.Burnside park

3.The Fleet Skating Center

4.THe south end of the river walk (down city side of river)

5.INDIA POINT PARK or on the BRIDGE for that matter.

6. The lot of the old produce terminal (That was going to be a market type model when the the state gave it to Carpionatto sp.) of there are new lots opening up in downcity every day.

7. Inside the Arcade during the Winter, It's empty the last time I checked. :rofl: .

I think once Weybossett is 2-way, Westminster will be less needed as a westbound artery through downtown. There's so little traffic on it on saturdays (until like 6 after the market is done) that it's not really a big deal to close it.

Like Weybosset is ever going to be a two-way street. There have been traffic lights installed on Empire for years, and even that's still not two-way yet.

I loved it when they were doing the market in the middle of Westminster St. They had it going the night I got a room at the Hotel Providence for me and my babymommas anniversary and strolling through the market and all the shops was just lovely. Westminster really doesnt have much traffic on a saturday afternoon so I dont see it as a big deal.

When oh when will the open westminster up to connect to the west end. sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

There looks to be some kind of bridal/formal store going in where smokey bones used to be in the mall (or in the corner retail spot next to it) and melting pot now has signs up squished between the mall entrance near uno's and the garage exit.

the bridal store is in the corner spot where the wheels store used to be, next to where smokey bones used to be.

This might have been brought up already, but has anyone been to the little crepe joint that opened up at Weybosset and Dorrance yet? It's super cute, but I haven't tasted yet.

It is great!!! Also owned by lesbians (like Benders...)

The girls who work there are so sweet and the crepes are delicious and moderately-priced.

I highly recommend stopping in.

Lebanese?

I assume you are asking a question around where to find lebanese food?

Opa on Atwells. Its not greek, its excellent lebanese food. Get served "Lebanese Style" for an incredible experience. The hookah bar next door, Nara, also serves lebanese tapas...

I assume you are asking a question around where to find lebanese food?

Opa on Atwells. Its not greek, its excellent lebanese food. Get served "Lebanese Style" for an incredible experience. The hookah bar next door, Nara, also serves lebanese tapas...

noooo it was a very tiny hint to a golden girls joke :stop:

Boston Sports Club will be opening in Dec ( Dorrence Street, Downtown )

Yes, and they have a store front on Westminster (next to CVS) where they are taking memberships. They are offering some deep discounts right now, my boyfriend signed up. I believe you'd be able to use both the Dorrance and East Side locations.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did not see this posted yet...anyone else notice the CVS/pharmacy coming soon signs in the spot next to the old Smokey Bones in the mall?

No, outside?

I wonder if that means anything for the K. Plaza location. I've been all about Walgreens since they came to Atwells. I went into the CVS in K. Plaza the other day and was endlessly annoyed by the whole place.

No, outside?

I wonder if that means anything for the K. Plaza location. I've been all about Walgreens since they came to Atwells. I went into the CVS in K. Plaza the other day and was endlessly annoyed by the whole place.

That particular CVS just plain sucks. It's like the only one without a Sovereign ATM (and there's no ATM, at least not 24 hour, at the Sovereign in KP). I've been all about Walgreens for a while now, even though I generally prefer local companies.

It may mean little... There's already a CVS in the mall (sans pharmacy). They may be moving to a location that's either cheaper or more accessable for them (they're in an odd 3rd floor location now).

- Garris

Greater City Providence Urbanism Blog

http://www.gcpvd.org

I never understood that CVS. It doesn't really serve much of a purpose other than big cheap candy for movie-goers and a Hallmark store (since the one in the mall closed).

Archived