Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PBN reports that Washington Trust is opening a new branch at 156 Westminster Street to replace it's 180 Washington Street branch. 180 Washington being the drive-thru bank. Could someone then be looking to knock over the drive-thru building and build new on that and the neighboring surface lot? PLEASE!

I don't know how in the hell I missed reading this, but it is indeed interesting news. That whole block is indeed prime real estate on an "A" street, and is under used. Currently there is a bank, a gay bar along with illegal chinese gambling going on upstairs, and a topless bar, along with rows of surface parking. What a great place to build a skyscraper. Like a J&W campus housing project with class rooms. If only. Perhaps an office tower. So why would a bank leave such an excellent location, that includes parking and a drive-up for just an office building space? Something must be in the works here.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they? They have some door men and valet parker dudes, but 24/7 security?

edit: and this isn't really at the biltmore.

they don't have security that i know of. they just have the valets that hang out outside, and i doubt they're outside at night when it's most likely to get tagged.

it's not at the biltmore, but it's pretty close and in a high visibility area.

Did anyone else see the workers re-exposing the art deco marble frieze work on the building on the north side of westminster just west of Dorrance yesterday? Anyone know what's going on there?

The old Journal Building? The one that has AAA and the mattress store and other such in it? I noticed people working on the little roof that hangs over Westminster today, the space where art installations like Pixelrations are in there from time to time.

Seriously, what's going on here?

By the way, there's a building permit in the window.

I read it before and it just says that they are doing work on the awning and the windows... They patched concrete in between the broken brick sidewalk in front...real attractive.

The old Journal Building? The one that has AAA and the mattress store and other such in it? I noticed people working on the little roof that hangs over Westminster today, the space where art installations like Pixelrations are in there from time to time.

Seriously, what's going on here?

That's the building I'm talking about, but it's not the old journal building. Curious, curious...

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of old offices. I just heard from a pretty reputable source that Tiffany is looking at the space at 69 Washington Street...basically under the Parkade at Washington and Union. I was skeptical but I suppose stranger things have happened!

tiffany as in those little blue boxes? as in the store that just opened up in the mall? i would think they'd go to westminster over washington... but that'd be cool nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

This, in conjunction with the AS220 news, is great, great news for Downcity.

Their locations in New Haven are fantastic.

A 24-hour corner grocery is truly a prerequisite for becoming a real urban center.

A 24-hour corner grocery is truly a prerequisite for becoming a real urban center.

I'm looking forward to being able to pick up some good food on my way home. I think I'm getting scurvy because there's no place in my daily travels to get a vegetable.

Great news indeed...

As I sit here, I can't picture the space. It's across from J&W but, remind me, what is there now? Is that empty retail space currently?

Empty, most recently was New York, New York.

Archived