Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard the rumor from two different places that Ruth's Chris is closing. Very fouth hand, but there it is...

I've heard that as well. I've heard a few other things on the restaurant front Downcity as well, but don't feel comfortable/can't discuss them right now.

I've heard that as well. I've heard a few other things on the restaurant front Downcity as well, but don't feel comfortable/can't discuss them right now.

I have heard this a lot too. So when I went in there last Saturday night for dinner, I asked the manager straight out when they were going to close. He said that they have heard this rumor as well and are not sure where it came from. The manager said that he even suspected the Capital Grille people starting it.

He adamantly said they were not going to close. That this was their 100th location and their was a bit of pride there and they are a large public company that can afford to weather it out until all the housing and convention business picks up.

I also asked our waiter how he does. He said that he has been there since they opened and does quite well, always busy. He mentioned that management told him about the rumor and that there was no truth to it. He said he saw no signs of them closing.

In fact, while I was there they were in the process of rebuilding their steps leading from the bar to the dining area . The hostess said that they found the steps to be too steep and were having them all redone. When I saw that I thought to myself "if you are going to shut down, why spend the money on fixing something?" But thats just me being logical.

And yeah everyone could be lying to me. It could all be a corporate front, but thought I would throw my experience out there...

The manager said that he even suspected the Capital Grille people starting it.

I would LOVE to learn that Capital Grille started this rumor. This is what we need to see, some restaurant wars, with everyone on their toes and hustling to come out on top. I feel like everyone has just been opening their doors and expecting people to come and not have to put any effort into running their businesses. Now all we need is some real food critics to get out there and be, well, CRITICAL!

Now all we need is some real food critics to get out there and be, well, CRITICAL!

Great point. When's the last time you've read a negative restaurant review in Wednesday's projo food section? Or in Providence Monthly? East Side mag? Me thinks that only the Providence Phoenix would have the ba@*s to do so. ;)

Providence Place boosts state sales-tax revenue.

Providence Place mall generated an estimated $13.4 million in sales-tax receipts for the state in the 2007 calendar year, up 12.25 percent from 2006.

Providence Place boosts state sales-tax revenue.

Providence Place mall generated an estimated $13.4 million in sales-tax receipts for the state in the 2007 calendar year, up 12.25 percent from 2006.

Providence Place Group and Rouse Providence are suing the state to recover more than $2 million in a conveyance tax that was paid when the Providence Place mall changed hands in 2004, saying that special state provisions exempt them.

And yeah everyone could be lying to me. It could all be a corporate front, but thought I would throw my experience out there...

My sources were people who book some dinners there, but I really hope they're not closing. I enjoy the restaurant quite a bit and think it's a good presence downtown.

I feel like everyone has just been opening their doors and expecting people to come and not have to put any effort into running their businesses.

I completely agree... As excellent a food city as Providence is (and it is great for its size) there really isn't a lot of "edge" to our food scene. You don't get the sense that places are competing for every customer and tweeking and straining to be the best.

Now all we need is some real food critics to get out there and be, well, CRITICAL!

Isn't that the truth. I haven't been able to tolerate reading a food review anywhere here in well over two years. The "special advertising" feel of them all just turns my stomach...

- Garris

Great point. When's the last time you've read a negative restaurant review in Wednesday's projo food section? Or in Providence Monthly? East Side mag? Me thinks that only the Providence Phoenix would have the ba@*s to do so. ;)

No, not even the Phoenix, sadly... :(

At one of the GC:PVD events, someone who works in the culinary industry was telling us that the local food scene (and this includes the publications) is just too small, too cozy, and too interdependent for any real critical enterprise to happen.

I'd love to see a Zagat style effort by someone, though. If the brutally culinarily barren NY suburbs can warrent a Zagat guide, so can we...

- Garris

Addendum: Apparently, a coworker just told me, Providence restaurants are indeed listed in the Boston ( :angry: ) section. Does anyone have Zagat access to see how accurate the ratings are? Do they pan anything?

No, not even the Phoenix, sadly... :(

At one of the GC:PVD events, someone who works in the culinary industry was telling us that the local food scene (and this includes the publications) is just too small, too cozy, and too interdependent for any real critical enterprise to happen.

I'd love to see a Zagat style effort by someone, though. If the brutally culinarily barren NY suburbs can warrent a Zagat guide, so can we...

- Garris

Addendum: Apparently, a coworker just told me, Providence restaurants are indeed listed in the Boston ( :angry: ) section. Does anyone have Zagat access to see how accurate the ratings are? Do they pan anything?

CT has a zagat guide for the whole state. mostly places in new haven, hartford, and the bridgeport area (which actually has some nice restaurants) with few in between. here's a zagat hint... if you take part in an active survey, you get a free copy of that particular guide (i have a couple of them now). i haven't seen any boston ones, but when i do, i'll vote in them and see what's listed and what comes in the guide. i agree with you, though. RI should have its own, even if it is for the whole state and not group providence with boston.

EDIT: you can search their site for cities and a bunch of restaurants came up for providence. unfortunately, there's no active surveys for boston so i can't vote in one.

Dell to close Providence Place, other kiosks

Computer maker Dell Inc. will close its 140 Dell Direct Store kiosks nationwide, including the one on the third floor of Providence Place mall.

i'm not surprised. i read somewhere that they're going to start selling their computers through some retailer. i don't remember which one.

They moved upstairs

my 14 yr old niece is beyond grief stricken to find that AE (American Eagle Outfitters) seems to have closed their PP store? i didn't see a sign or anything on their store saying they were moving--does anyone know what happened here?

Archived