Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen them open in a handful of days.

Seems weird that they would close, I mean they are a chain and have deep pockets. I wonder if there is a health code issue or something. Does Providence post violations on buildings? Its also weird they would close at the time when Quizno's seems to think there is a market for them to return.

Of course they could all be stoopid franchisees and corporate may have nothing to do with anything.

thats odd about jimmy johns closing, if that is true

maybe it was just temporary for the year and a half that quiznos was closed :)

a year ago JJ's hours were until 9 or 10pm then around this summer they cut back to 5 or 6pm

it kind of wouldnt surprise though despite all the things that downtown lacks the one thing it doesn't lack is sandwich shops. in addition to the existing sandwich places there is the reopened quiznos, the subway in the rink, the cafe across from the arcade on weybosset and the soon to open farmstead on westminster.

if someone was going to open an inexpensive lunch place downtown i would hope they sell some kind of food lacking in downtown, the one place that had a variety of food places was the arcade and that place now has all of about 3 tenants total. i never thought that the arcade would ever come under threat of demolition considering its historical, architectural and regional significance as well as the appreciation for historic buildings in contemporary times but i'm starting to get a little concerned, maybe i'm being alarmist. theyre not going to demo functioning businesses but there are so few places left in there that when the last place closes there would be little to hold them back. i heard from a tenant in there that they are all on month to month leases and they could see the building being torn down since it is apparently a mess. i found it a little hard to believe because it is so significant of a building but considering the conditions i suppose maybe it could be possible, afterall there is a vacant lot next door which would make an even larger parcel. hopefully this is not the case.

I just noticed this too, because I wanted to get some Spike's after hitting the farmers market this Saturday. :angry:

Wait so the Spike's on Pine which btw closed a while ago and was replaced by an independent coffee place is now Starbucks?

Bil, Spike's has been out of that location for at least a year, probably much more.

Wait so the Spike's on Pine which btw closed a while ago and was replaced by an independent coffee place is now Starbucks?

No, the Starbucks is up on Chestnut Street, a block away. In the Johnson & Wales "Chestnuts" spot. However, the independent coffee house that replaced Spikes is closed.

No, the Starbucks is up on Chestnut Street, a block away. In the Johnson & Wales "Chestnuts" spot. However, the independent coffee house that replaced Spikes is closed.

was the coffee house that replace spike's perkatory?

also, it looks like chestnut's moved south a couple blocks.

Well crap. Are there any Spike's downtown now? I love me my veggie dogs...

Actually, the vege dogs are quite good (better than the supermarket brands).

Interesting that Symposium opened in Boston now.

Speaking of bookstores, the Brown Bookstore renovations up on the East Side should begin soon as detailed here in the Brown Daily Herald.

- Garris

Also, I thought I'd add that I heard that the Finale dessert restaurant outpost coming to Providence in the Waterplace Towers has been delayed due to the overall slow progression of sales/etc in those buildings. They still want to come and are planning on it, but it may be some time (a year or more).

- Garris

Another Public Works Item from the 1/29/08 6:00 PM meeting:

Petition from Wayne M. Kezirian, Esquire, Gaebe & Kezirian, 128 Dorrance Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02903 on behalf of Johnson & Wales University, requesting a permanent underground easement below a portion of Pine Street.

What's this about?

Archived