>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

And as an aside, I went into Milan's Wayland Square outpost for the first time recently (they're based in Barrington and say they're doing "fine" in the Square so far). They're an upscale men's tailoring, suits, and clothing store, focusing on Italian products as the name implies. The prices certainly aren't for the faint of heart and can induce nose bleeds, but their stock is absolutely beautiful and is of first rate design and quality. If you can exercise restraint and stick to the entry-level-luxury wares, you can probably get inspired suits, jackets, and other products without having to take out a second mortgage. If, as I think Jen put it regarding women's clothing, you shop infrequently but when you do so, you value buying top notch quality above all else and look to maintain and keep those items long term, Milan is probably worth a look for men. I'll be heading back.

- Garris

The owner, Jiro, tailors my suits. Yes, he is a bit pricey, but he does really nice work. Plus, he's a nice guy.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Self-explanatory, from the topic title. Meg and I went to the bank this afternoon, and noted that East Side Ice Cream (on Hope Ave., next to the Dunkin' D -- I forget the number, but it's in the 700s, just north of Rochambeau) opened today -- the proprietor was telling us about some of the various permitting/bureaucratic snafus that caused her some grief and delayed the opening. "Nobody tells you about all these things you have to take care of to get a business open," she reports. "You have to find it all out for yourself."

Sounds like Fl*gst*ff, in that respect. But in any case, it's open. We had some ice cream -- but they also have sandwiches, meat pies, hot dogs, and various other food items. :F

Urb

Self-explanatory, from the topic title. Meg and I went to the bank this afternoon, and noted that East Side Ice Cream (on Hope Ave., next to the Dunkin' D -- I forget the number, but it's in the 700s, just north of Rochambeau) opened today -- the proprietor was telling us about some of the various permitting/bureaucratic snafus that caused her some grief and delayed the opening. "Nobody tells you about all these things you have to take care of to get a business open," she reports. "You have to find it all out for yourself."

Sounds like Fl*gst*ff, in that respect. But in any case, it's open. We had some ice cream -- but they also have sandwiches, meat pies, hot dogs, and various other food items. :F

Urb

Meat pies, hot dogs and ice cream :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone feared Wayland Square was going too high brow, with its new Art Gallery and impending Native American gallery, coming soon into the long vacant Kenneth Dulgarian space (that long timers call "the former K. Gibbs extension") on S.Angell, in time for Winter, is coming Exotic Tans...

That's right, Exotic Tans...

Because those people buying the million dollar Armory condos at Angell Way that are but a football's throw away will need someplace to keep that exotic glow intact year 'round...

Given how loooong this spot has been empty and how anticipated it was to see anything there, I'd still place this one in the "really disappointing" column. The only thing that could possibly salvage this is if they nicely updated the facade, but somehow, I see garish, blocky, primary colored lettering and signage ahead...

- Garris

In case anyone feared Wayland Square was going too high brow, with its new Art Gallery and impending Native American gallery, coming soon into the long vacant Kenneth Dulgarian space (that long timers call "the former K. Gibbs extension") on S.Angell, in time for Winter, is coming Exotic Tans...

That's right, Exotic Tans...

Because those people buying the million dollar Armory condos at Angell Way that are but a football's throw away will need someplace to keep that exotic glow intact year 'round...

Given how loooong this spot has been empty and how anticipated it was to see anything there, I'd still place this one in the "really disappointing" column. The only thing that could possibly salvage this is if they nicely updated the facade, but somehow, I see garish, blocky, primary colored lettering and signage ahead...

- Garris

Maybe something really sophisticated and tastefull like this

FRONT%20(1).jpg

:D

• 1 month later...

Quick Wayland Square update:

- Sweet Creations seems to have closed. I have no idea why, but given the huge turnover of retail in that particular building and a move to more lifestyle oriented (and likely higher rent paying) businesses there, one wonders. I think the couple who owned/ran the business were quite elderly as well. Whatever the reason, it's quite sad to see them go... No idea what's going in there (given that it's adjacent to Farmstead, does anyone know if they're expanding yet further?).

- Exotic Tans is almost finished and ready to open. While their logo looks as cheesy as runawayjim posted above (like it escaped from a 1970's B-list movie), the storefront seems to have remarkable restraint. There's a nice new maroon-colored awning and new tasteful flood lighting. The interior hanging lamps and wood panelled waiting area also seems quite tasteful and modern. Perhaps it's because my expectations were so rock bottom low that I'm thus far mildly impressed. I'll try to post a photo later.

- Southwest Passage, the Native American themed store and art gallery serving all manner of Native American "fetishes" has opened as well.

With those openings, I think Wayland Square might only have 2 or 3 retail spaces available (the Sweet Creations space, the former gym space in Wayland Manor, and the former Pet Clips site), which is quite remarkable (and hopefully healthy).

- Garris

Quick Wayland Square update:

- Sweet Creations seems to have closed. I have no idea why, but given the huge turnover of retail in that particular building and a move to more lifestyle oriented (and likely higher rent paying) businesses there, one wonders. I think the couple who owned/ran the business were quite elderly as well. Whatever the reason, it's quite sad to see them go... No idea what's going in there (given that it's adjacent to Farmstead, does anyone know if they're expanding yet further?).

- Garris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick East Side Update:

- The Au Bon Pain on Thayer is closed for renovations...

- The future Angell Way condos (the former K. Gibbs spot) will be opening a sales office in the newly vacant "Sweet Creations" spot in Wayland Square...

- Wayland Manor, including Twist, has nice, new, classy signage up as part of an overall sprucing up of the grounds...

- Izzy's on Elmsgrove seems very closed :(...

- The Day One organization has their signs up on their refurbished office building on 100 Medway in Wayland Sq (and did a nice job with them)...

That's it for now!

- Garris

• 3 weeks later...
During the week? I think the weekend hours have been this for some time. 10 PM is indeed what they should be...

Out of curiosity, any word on them improving the actual store after campus advocates successfully warded off the ultra-dangerous Barnes and Noble? I was in the Harvard Coop recently and walking into the Brown Bookstore the day after almost moved me to tears of shame...

- Garris

i am so confused by what just happened...

as for co-ops, the uconn co-op is a nice arrangement (i'm a member for life, for only $25 that was taken when i first went to school there and just didn't ask for it back when i left). the store is really nice as well (although i haven't seen the new one, the old one was fantastic, the new one is supposed to be even better).

Archived