>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

It's amazing how much Thayer is changing...

- Supposedly the Gap is going...

- The Pizza Grille was open for like, what, a month or two? (too bad, it was great and cheap).

- Cafe Java is gone (no loss there). A chinese place is opening instead?

- A West Indian clothing store (??!!??) is replacing the College Hill Bookstore?

- Something new is being built in the storefront along Angell next to Smoothie King.

And this is all in like a few months time. Anything I'm missing? Supposedly, the rents for businesses here are out of control. Also, talk about an area that could benefit from a huge parking garage hidden behind some storefronts and apartments...

Garris

I think the biggest change on Thayer Street, regardless of all the retail shuffling, is the Brown Life Sciences project. So surreal. Last I heard (a few years ago), they were trying to rewrite the legislature regarding the zones that certain institutions are allowed to develop and the way they're developed in order to keep places like Brown and Miriam Hospital from gobbling up land in historic residential neighborhoods. I think there was also a piece in there about building structures within those zones that impose on those same neighborhoods outside the zones. Does anyone know what the eventual outcome of that was?

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, although it is a real fountain, it doesn't currently work. I've been told a couple of times in public forums with city officials that there are no plans to make it work either. Not clear why, but my guess is it has a high operation and maintenance cost, is a target for vandalism, and increases the likelihood of gathering in the park after dark. The cops hate to patrol that park as there is no easy way to drive through it, though the new lights help to see things from afar.

I find this a real shame.

I think the biggest change on Thayer Street, regardless of all the retail shuffling, is the Brown Life Sciences project. So surreal.

You think that's the biggest change? I barely even notice the thing... As with many such issues, I think people make a big deal out of very little. Same with the Miriam Hospital expansion. Now that they're there, I don't think they alter neighborhood fabric one iota.

I think the biggest potential change could come in whatever Brown decides to do or not to do regarding the pitiful, embarrassing Brown Bookstore. A positive change in that facade and business could really positively impact Thayer St. We'll see...

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick Wayland Square update...

- Predemolition work continues on the K.Gibbs condo site...

- Subway's space won't be vacant for long... "Angell Nails" will be opening soon and remodeling is well underway inside.

- The vacant East Side Framing store is undergoing remodeling for, according to long time locals, "yet another maternity clothing store" (long timers say this is the 4th or 5th such go at the concept in the Square...)

- The popular Wayland Liquor in the Square is undergoing remodeling...

- The popular Laundry Club is sporting a big sticker in the window saying that they have free wi-fi access to use while people wait...

- Fred the Barber has packed it in after about 45 years of cutting hair in the Square. His chair were recently removed. Ed is still going strong a block down the street...

Signing out...

- Garris

Just a quick Wayland Square update...

- The vacant East Side Framing store is undergoing remodeling for, according to long time locals, "yet another maternity clothing store" (long timers say this is the 4th or 5th such go at the concept in the Square...)

Signing out...

- Garris

I think this may actually be where the retail location of http://www.modmama.com is going. It's kind of hip higher end kids clothes and baby gear. Word on the street is that there will be a big picture of my daughter on the wall. woowoo.

A sign went up yesterday or a day before on the somewhat odd looking but potential filled brick building at the corner of Gano and Pitman. Apparently Dynamic LLC is doing the condo conversion, the same group that seems to be doing a really nice job with the victorian conversion on Butler Ave. They are calling the development "Brown Stone."

This is actually a pretty busy intersection, so it would be nice to see something attractive. I hope they do a nice job with this conversion...

- Garris

PS: Wings to Go has their new yellow awning up at their Wickenden and Ives intersection, and it's amazing how much just one storefront being filled with one awning can make an area feel suddenly more alive and vibrant. The dormancy of that intersection has bothered me for a while now...

PS: Wings to Go has their new yellow awning up at their Wickenden and Ives intersection, and it's amazing how much just one storefront being filled with one awning can make an area feel suddenly more alive and vibrant. The dormancy of that intersection has bothered me for a while now...

Is this the building that once housed a pizza/coffee shop which burned down 2 or 3 years ago?

I think this may actually be where the retail location of http://www.modmama.com is going. It's kind of hip higher end kids clothes and baby gear. Word on the street is that there will be a big picture of my daughter on the wall. woowoo.

Sign on the store window says it'll be opening this coming Tuesday...

I'm a bit worried here, as there's absolutely zero work that has been done to the mundane, invisible facade and there is, 3 days before opening, absolutely zero signage whatsoever... Just some (weak) looking clothes hanging in the (dark) windows.

I don't know how "hip" and "higher end" this will appear given that they have a retail facade that looks like it hasn't been updated or cleaned since 1963...

- Garris

Sign on the store window says it'll be opening this coming Tuesday...

I'm a bit worried here, as there's absolutely zero work that has been done to the mundane, invisible facade and there is, 3 days before opening, absolutely zero signage whatsoever... Just some (weak) looking clothes hanging in the (dark) windows.

I don't know how "hip" and "higher end" this will appear given that they have a retail facade that looks like it hasn't been updated or cleaned since 1963...

- Garris

I havent been by the store yet, but I'm kind of surprised that it wouldnt look good. Rachel (who owns the place) has a remarkably good design sense (take a look at her online store...)

Last I heard (a few years ago), they were trying to rewrite the legislature regarding the zones that certain institutions are allowed to develop and the way they're developed in order to keep places like Brown and Miriam Hospital from gobbling up land in historic residential neighborhoods. I think there was also a piece in there about building structures within those zones that impose on those same neighborhoods outside the zones. Does anyone know what the eventual outcome of that was?

The zoning changes for the institutions died, along with the rest of the revised Zoning Ordinance.

On my run today, I noted a vacant liquor store at the corner of Ives St and Williams St has a building permit to convert it into a "sit down deli." Interesting.

On a sad note, David Kolsky (one of the people involved in the Wayland Sq meetings) sent this update:

"...A bookstore on Wayland Square is being offered for sale by a

Receiver (small display advertisement at the foot of a news page in

the Business section of Sunday's Providence Journal). I know no

details, but I'll pass along any more information I find..." :(.

- Garris

On my run today, I noted a vacant liquor store at the corner of Ives St and Williams St has a building permit to convert it into a "sit down deli." Interesting.

On a sad note, David Kolsky (one of the people involved in the Wayland Sq meetings) sent this update:

"...A bookstore on Wayland Square is being offered for sale by a

Receiver (small display advertisement at the foot of a news page in

the Business section of Sunday's Providence Journal). I know no

details, but I'll pass along any more information I find..." :(.

- Garris

uh oh. Myopic or Books on the Square?!

I havent been by the store yet, but I'm kind of surprised that it wouldnt look good. Rachel (who owns the place) has a remarkably good design sense (take a look at her online store...)

Ok, the Modmomma sign is up, and it's actually OK. I'll try to remember to take a photo Thursday or Friday to show all the signage obsessed people here like myself. It's cool looking, with bright neon orange letters on a white background. There a few problems you might want to let your friend know about:

- The sign in near invisible from West of their store (i.e. the rest of the Square) due to tree branches blocking it (Jen, is there a way to trim the branches to allow their sign to be seen without doing undue harm to the tree?). Drivers and the few pedestrians coming from the East can see it just fine...

- I don't believe the sign is lit at all...

- The rest of the facade received absolute no upgrade, likely a fault of the owner, not the renter. There's kind of a structure above the storefront I'm guessing is for a retractable awning that's no longer there. It would have been nice if the drab egg shell front got at least a new coat of paint.

Frankly, good design sense or no, the clothes hanging in the window with the lone sign and no other upgrades screams "This is temporary! Like kids running a lemonade stand!" It feels very underdeveloped, especially in the shadow of such good storefronts as Myopic, UPS, Red Stripe, Coffee Edge, etc within a stone's throw. Even the under-construction Angell Nails got a nice blue awning matching others in its building that looks like the owners care.

I badly want your friend's store to make it, but the storefront seems extremely under-developed right now. Like a Wayland Sq version of Jac's Wraps...

Other Wayland Square news:

- Lots of activity sprucing up and painting the former 9 Months store inside. I don't know if something else is on its way in or if this is routine upgrade work after the 9 Months closing (considering the degree of activity, I'm guessing something is coming in)...

uh oh. Myopic or Books on the Square?!

It looks like its Books on the Square that's for sale. They're still quite open now and doing business. I just bought some books there. I hope that the store is able to find new owners who want to keep it a book store...

- Garris

How about some street lights for Wickenden? Right now there's the ocassional power line street light, but it would be great to have lighting a little more frequent and aestetically pleasing. The sidewalks look like they've been recently redone, so I'm kinda surprised they didn't add better lighting. While we're at it, let's go crazy and bury the power lines as well.

How about some street lights for Wickenden? Right now there's the ocassional power line street light, but it would be great to have lighting a little more frequent and aestetically pleasing.

Absolutely. Actually, in addition to Wickenden, nearly all of Providence's retail centers (Wayland Sq, Hope Village, Downtown, etc) need new, attractive, more pedestrian-friendly lighting. Only Federal Hill has ever had this addressed...

While we're at it, let's go crazy and bury the power lines as well.

That would be huge, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon unless the city and state make it a priority, and they're swamped with bigger issues right now.

- Garris

Absolutely. Actually, in addition to Wickenden, nearly all of Providence's retail centers (Wayland Sq, Hope Village, Downtown, etc) need new, attractive, more pedestrian-friendly lighting. Only Federal Hill has ever had this addressed...

That would be huge, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon unless the city and state make it a priority, and they're swamped with bigger issues right now.

- Garris

Along this line of thinking, it was supposed to happen for Broadway and Westminster. Anyone know what happened with that?

In the Elmsgrove row of shops, Hartwell Vintage Home is closed (I'm not sure how long they've been gone) and will be replaced by In the Bag Boutique.

Which in itself is moving from the Hope Village area. I'm sure it will be replaced by one of four things (take-out food, cleaners, salon, or bank).

Meanwhile, visitors to Hope St. can still wait for the Hope St. Ice Cream place to open. It has been "coming soon" since about March.

I was driving on Medway St. in Wayland Sq this morning and noted construction fencing around the building formerly housing Abacus (which I think is now in Rising Suns). This commercial structure is an average appearing 2 story brick building oddly located in the "back of the Square" behind CVS et al. It's been empty for about 3 years or so.

A quick Google session lead me to find out that it appears to be in the process of renovation to house the headquarters of the Sexual Assault and Trauma Resource Center of RI, renamed Day One and currently located on Richmond St. This was on their website:

"Day One's New Headquarters

- Located at 100 Medway Street, on the east side of Providence in Wayland Square.

- Two-story office building with 12,000 sq. ft. of office space.

- Built in 1950.

- Previous owners/tenants were: Abacus

- Parking available for 40.

- Architect/designer for the new interior is Lamborghini/Feibelman, Limited of Providence.

- Improvements to include improved accessibility for individuals with disabilities, modern fire code upgrades, and the development of spaces that are child friendly, victim-centered and welcoming to all communities."

So that seems to solve this (very minor) mystery. They sound like a great group devoted to a wonderful cause and it'll be nice to see a vacant commercial space occupied, cared for, and vital once again.

- Garris

In the continuing dizzing retail turnover in Wayland Sq, Classic Clips pet grooming next to the recently closed Subway but now newly opened Angell Nails has closed to move to Olney Street on the East Side.

20 feet away, the Kyureo boutique store has just reopened after a nice remodeling.

- Garris

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, before I collapse in bed from doing 3 hours of GC:PVD text work, some updates:

- In the Bag has opened in the Elmsgrove shops in Wayland Square, and has a pretty nice appearance I must say. That line of shops is turning out to be one of the best looking in the city...

- The former Nine Months space in the retail frontage on Wayland Ave in the heart of the Square that I reported had a lot of activity in it of late seems to be shaping up, interestingly, as an art gallery of some type. There's lot of expensive looking prints on the wall, nice new hardwook flooring, and lots of gallery-esque track lighting going in. What's interesting is that this is a pretty small space, although very visible. If it is indeed an art gallery, it'll be the only one in Wayland Square. No signage is up as yet indicating a name...

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

Wayland Square update...

The art gallery I mentioned earlier does appear to indeed be a full-fledged art gallery. The something-Ruggiero (I think) Art Gallery. There's now signage up on the awning and a sign on the door saying it'll open the first week of October. Many very large, very expensive looking prints occupy the storefront.

To its left, in the former Fred's Barber space, there is a Native American Art Gallery coming in. Yup, that's right. According to the sign, there'll be Native American jewelry, pottery, art, and "other fetishes" :unsure: . While I'm tickled that this space turned over so soon, I've personally never "gotten" the whole Native American Art obsession some people have.

And as an aside, I went into Milan's Wayland Square outpost for the first time recently (they're based in Barrington and say they're doing "fine" in the Square so far). They're an upscale men's tailoring, suits, and clothing store, focusing on Italian products as the name implies. The prices certainly aren't for the faint of heart and can induce nose bleeds, but their stock is absolutely beautiful and is of first rate design and quality. If you can exercise restraint and stick to the entry-level-luxury wares, you can probably get inspired suits, jackets, and other products without having to take out a second mortgage. If, as I think Jen put it regarding women's clothing, you shop infrequently but when you do so, you value buying top notch quality above all else and look to maintain and keep those items long term, Milan is probably worth a look for men. I'll be heading back.

- Garris

Archived