>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

Using the precious little infrastructure money we have on building those curb cutouts instead of actually paving some of those crappy roads absolutely floored me. What a waste!

This is what angered me about the Chalkstone red light cameras as well. The pavement at that intersection is like the surface of the moon. If only that money was spent on actually improving the infrastructure instead of stupid measures like "got-em" cameras and "slow-em-down" bumps.

- Garris

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for raised intersections, but they should be in areas where very high pedestrian traffic meets very heavy auto traffic, i.e. Federal Hill, Downcity, Thayer Street... and I would use them on the Service Roads to slow traffic. Stringing a series of raised intersections along Gano will only serve to make the public hate these traffic calming devices and end any possibility of using them in places where they would really be needed.

On Gano, a light should be added at Williams Street, the DD entrance should be closed, and DD traffic should be forced to use the Williams Street side of the building to access the parking lot. Curb extensions should be placed at other key intersections to keep cars from parking to the curb and blocking the line of site for turning vehicles, and to give pedestrians a smaller gap to cross.

I'm all for raised intersections, but they should be in areas where very high pedestrian traffic meets very heavy auto traffic, i.e. Federal Hill, Downcity, Thayer Street... and I would use them on the Service Roads to slow traffic. Stringing a series of raised intersections along Gano will only serve to make the public hate these traffic calming devices and end any possibility of using them in places where they would really be needed.

On Gano, a light should be added at Williams Street, the DD entrance should be closed, and DD traffic should be forced to use the Williams Street side of the building to access the parking lot. Curb extensions should be placed at other key intersections to keep cars from parking to the curb and blocking the line of site for turning vehicles, and to give pedestrians a smaller gap to cross.

I don't like the service bumps at all. They only serve their purpose on long expanses of side streets with minimal stop signs. ( i.e. Elmwood and Broad) They will make life miserable if implemented on main roads like Gano or the service roads. Could you imagine?

While I'm not sure the curb extensions are necessary (there's not a big problem turning onto Gano, the problem is the game of "Squeeze by that car" when people are trying lefts or trying "Rhode Island Slides" in an attempt to get across the street...), everything above is the intelligent solution to the problem. If potholes are filled in, Waterman and Pitman intersections widened even slightly to better allow left turns, and manhole covers are raised to street level, the problems would all be solved on Gano.

On Ives, the problem is blindingly simple. The reason that one stop is a problem is because it's the only stop on that street and it's difficult to see the sign at that. The solution is to have more stop signs on Ives so people are used to a stop and go traffic pattern (like on the near identical Wayland and Elmsgrove streets, where carnage doesn't seem to be a problem).

- Garris

The solution is to have more stop signs on Ives

How about instead of nailing a stop sign to any free verticle space that's somewhere near the intersection, someone actually goes out, digs a hole, and puts in a post where the signs actually need to be. That's such a problem in Providence, signs are just thrown up with no thought to if people can see them, or if they are even needed.

How about instead of nailing a stop sign to any free verticle space that's somewhere near the intersection, someone actually goes out, digs a hole, and puts in a post where the signs actually need to be. That's such a problem in Providence, signs are just thrown up with no thought to if people can see them, or if they are even needed.

That certainly would help. Unique to Ives, though, is that you're crusing down a mile and a half or so of block after block after block, and then, with fairly little warning, WHAM you have to stop NOW at an intersection that looks fairly minor compared to all the rest.

Better signage like you suggest is needed along with a much more visible "Prepare to stop" sign about 100-200 feet in advance of that intersection or you need to establish a "culture" of stop and go on that street with more stop signs.

- Garris

the biggest problem with adding new stop signs, is people who are used to them never being there. That causes a lot of accidents, just because so many people that drive the road everyday are used to the right away and then all of a sudden one day they are driving they go through the stop sign, and then you have an accident.

The Coffee Edge (in the former Daily Bread space) in Wayland Sq opened today. I'm a bit disappointed at the hours... 6:30 AM to 5 PM daily, and opened to 9 PM on Friday and Saturdays (at least there's that).

I had hoped for yet another establishment to add life to the Square after dark (or at least for something to be open when I come home from work), but alas, it won't be the case. Bakery hours here...

- Garris

A classic case of moving slower rather than thinking smarter...

The most efficient speed for moving traffic is 22 MPH. As speed rises the through-put drops. So reducing the speed should help the backups by modulating the traffic (not as many people arriving at the same point at the same time).

Also, a car hitting a pedestrian become lethal at around 35MPH.

I haven't looked at their solutions to see how good or bad they are, but the idea is correct. There should be no roads that go through neighborhoods (Gano is both through and on the edge) that are a DESIGN speed of more than 25 MPH. That can be accomplish in a number of ways - lights, stop signs, narrowing, mini or regular roundabout (not traffic circles or rotaries).

If Gano is calibrated correctly for 25MPH then the time difference between that and 35MPH should be minimal (if not better).

If Gano is calibrated correctly for 25MPH then the time difference between that and 35MPH should be minimal (if not better).

But it's not right now, and that's the problem.

You could make the speed limit 5 MPH or 55 MPH there and it makes little difference if a delivery truck is trying to make a left into the Dunkin Donuts or a Range Rover a left from Gano onto Waterman or Pitman and each is blocking any progress of traffic for a block or two...

- Garris

But it's not right now, and that's the problem.

You could make the speed limit 5 MPH or 55 MPH there and it makes little difference if a delivery truck is trying to make a left into the Dunkin Donuts or a Range Rover a left from Gano onto Waterman or Pitman and each is blocking any progress of traffic for a block or two...

- Garris

but what can they do to the roads to fix the problem?

Turn lanes could work - there is one at Gano and Pittman going north - they could add others going south.

At Dunkin Donuts it's tight, but would probably work.

30' curb to curb would be enough.

Exactly. Just better defined lane markers could help. Most cars on the right could probably pass cars turning left if those cars moved left enough, but they don't and sit in the "center" of the "lane."

Also, Cotuit posted excellent ideas for the Dunkin Donuts entry/exit above.

- Garris

College Hill neighbors want curb on liquor licenses. A residents group says Thayer Street is already saturated with eateries selling liquor and oppose the latest request -- from Stuff Your Face. [ProJo.com]

I can see why they might be opposed to places like Cardabar, but come on. This is rediculous.

"Thayer Street is not a late-night destination spot," Tompkins wrote. "Some people want to make it that, but we respectfully disagree."

This man is delusional. It already is a late night destination spot, hence the NIGHT CLUBS. He should at least acknowledge that he's already lost that battle and that his intent is to reverse it, instead of falsely claiming that Thayer isn't a night time destination.

Since the Burnside fountail came up in another tread, does the fountain in Lippett Park (end of Blackstone at the intersection with Hope) ever work? Is that even a fountain at all or just a sculpture?

- Garris

PS: The curb work that the city has been doing at the South end of Blackstone to better define the traffic flow, something I was a bit skeptical about at first, I must admit is genuinely useful and will likely prevent accidents and confusion there. Now if they'd only fill in the center of the island with some grass and landscaping...

College Hill neighbors want curb on liquor licenses. A residents group says Thayer Street is already saturated with eateries selling liquor and oppose the latest request -- from Stuff Your Face. [ProJo.com]

Stuff Your Face?! Wonder where she got that name idea.... <_<

www.stuffyerface.com

A New Brunswick NJ landmark since '77.

Thayer street is a late night desitnation, sorry buddy. Wishing it wasnt does not make it so.

"Richard Aitchison, the city's license administrator, said that the application was automatically rejected because of opposition from property owners who live within a 200-foot radius of the restaurant.

Although only four residents within the radius objected to the request, their combined properties totaled more than 50 percent of the square footage within the 200-foot zone. Based on that formula, the application had to be rejected."

So four people hold up an entire process!?!? Ack, this kind of thing makes me too angry to post anything rational right now... :angry:

- Garris

You know what would make all of the college hill residents more open to Thayer being a late night destination - if the PPD would enforce the noise code on people with Harley's. I hate those stupid pipes. I worked with consultants who used to work with Harley Davidson. In order to sell bikes in Europe, they had to reduce the noise by something like 70%. And they still had a distinct sound and sold like crazy. I think US costumers could live without have 120 dB pipes on every bike. I love motorcycles but I H-A-T-E Harley Davidson, and now Thayer St. is overwhelmed with bikers. It wasn't like that ten or even five years ago. Frankly I don't really blame folks for being upset.

[/end rant]

That doesn't mean that four residents should be able to block the addition of one more license. It's not like it is the first one being handed out over there.

Since the Burnside fountail came up in another tread, does the fountain in Lippett Park (end of Blackstone at the intersection with Hope) ever work? Is that even a fountain at all or just a sculpture?

Nope, although it is a real fountain, it doesn't currently work. I've been told a couple of times in public forums with city officials that there are no plans to make it work either. Not clear why, but my guess is it has a high operation and maintenance cost, is a target for vandalism, and increases the likelihood of gathering in the park after dark. The cops hate to patrol that park as there is no easy way to drive through it, though the new lights help to see things from afar.

Archived