>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

Does any CVS in Providence have a pharmacy? The mall, Thayer, and Kennedy Plaza all do not. We go to the Osco in Shaws in Eagle Square, but it would be a lot more convenient to have one downtown.

The one in the mall doesn't either? Huh...

The CVS's in Wayland Square and on Hope in Hope Village both have pharmacies, and I'm almost certain the one on East St in Pawtucket does too...

- Garris

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear to God most of these neighborhood groups just want to make Providence one big urban mall that closes at 10 PM.

I've long thought that No. Main would be a good place for a new club district. It's not going to happen, of course.

The key word in that headline being fear...

His request is being challenged by... the College Hill Neighborhood Association, which fears that the bar and restaurant would become a destination point for young drinkers from all over Rhode Island.

Yes, I'm sure young drinkers in Westerly are just counting the days waiting for this to open :rolleyes: .

In a letter to the board, neighborhood association president Barbara Harris said the Thayer Street area already has too many bars, and that the licensing board is doing "great damage" to the neighborhood by allowing retail shops to be turned into restaurants and bars.

Would it also be doing great damage to let restaurants/bars to be turned into new restaurants/bars, as is actually the case here?

Well, this is certainly a nice way to treat a local businessowner who has already obviously put a good deal of money into crafting a nice facade for that building.

The CNHA needs some new blood... This is yet another small example of a neighborhood group trying to kill a venture of potential benefit not only to its own neighborhood, but to the city.

- Garris

I swear to God most of these neighborhood groups just want to make Providence one big urban mall that closes at 10 PM.

I've long thought that No. Main would be a good place for a new club district. It's not going to happen, of course.

Nor should it. This area has it's own issues to deal with.

The key word in that headline being fear...

Well, this is certainly a nice way to treat a local businessowner who has already obviously put a good deal of money into crafting a nice facade for that building.

- Garris

Not sure if you have heard the horror stories of the owner. He has a reputaion that rivals the Mob. Could be a reason why he will not get his way with the new location. Not a nice guy from what i here. IBut, I do enjoy the swordfish sandwich at Paragon.

Nor should it. This area has it's own issues to deal with.

Like easy access to the highway, a police substation less than a quarter mile away, and a wide boulevard with no residents? We get that you don't like clubs, but you're going to need a better proposal than just saying no to everything. Unless you're David Brussat.

Like easy access to the highway, a police substation less than a quarter mile away, and a wide boulevard with no residents?

The sub station on camp street that houses two or three officers, that i may add, have there hand full from Camp street it self. North Main street has the same issues as the West side of Providence. You cant just push 10,000 people in an area b/c of highway acsess.

The sub station on camp street that houses two or three officers, that i may add, have there hand full from Camp street it self. North Main street has the same issues as the West side of Providence. You cant just push 10,000 people in an area b/c of highway acsess.

10,000 people? That's a hell of a club district. You are either speaking in hyperbole or have no idea what you're talking about. I suspect the former.

What issues are you talking about on North Main that having some clubs there would exacerbate? Its troubles are the reason I think a club district would work there. It would also work if it all went down by Allens but I'm not sure how that will interface with the jewelry district, etc. Basically I don't think North Main is going to be revitalized anytime soon, which is why I think it's a decent spot.

What issues are you talking about really other than you think that clubs are inhabited by hooligans who are out to inconvenience everyone around them? This is what I'm getting from your posts. Is there anywhere in the world where it's acceptable to have young people actually out in the streets?

FTR plenty of really expensive places sell in the club districts of Boston, New York, Paris, London, Amsterdam, San Francisco. Brussat's column is basically saying that downtown should cater to the empty nesters exclusively. That seems to be what you are saying also. The problem is that empty nesters is not a sustainable population base. They die.

10,000 people? That's a hell of a club district. You are either speaking in hyperbole or have no idea what you're talking about. I suspect the former.

What issues are you talking about on North Main that having some clubs there would exacerbate? Its troubles are the reason I think a club district would work there. It would also work if it all went down by Allens but I'm not sure how that will interface with the jewelry district, etc. Basically I don't think North Main is going to be revitalized anytime soon, which is why I think it's a decent spot.

What issues are you talking about really other than you think that clubs are inhabited by hooligans who are out to inconvenience everyone around them? This is what I'm getting from your posts. Is there anywhere in the world where it's acceptable to have young people actually out in the streets?

FTR plenty of really expensive places sell in the club districts of Boston, New York, Paris, London, Amsterdam, San Francisco. Brussat's column is basically saying that downtown should cater to the empty nesters exclusively. That seems to be what you are saying also. The problem is that empty nesters is not a sustainable population base. They die.

Lets start with the number I threw out 10,000

The problem is that empty nesters are not a sustainable population base. They die.

While slightly crass, this is a funny line... :lol:

In other news, the East Side Monthly article about Thayer Street (minus the cool street ownership map) is now online at:

http://www.providenceonline.com/eastsidemonthly/cover.html

Note that the link will only work for this article for one month only, as they (and their sister publication Providence Monthly) don't archive their issues online (does anyone know why not?).

- Garris

Note that the link will only work for this article for one month only, as they (and their sister publication Providence Monthly) don't archive their issues online (does anyone know why not?).

There was something in this month's Providence Monthly about that, they said to be on the lookout for their new website this (?) month.

I got a link to this site in my email.

SaveTheBookstore.org

I don't agree with the panic, but I thought I'd pass it on.

SaveTheBookstore.org

I don't agree with the panic, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Oh, give me a break.

Ok, everyone, do what I just did and send Brown your feedback telling them why we want a real bookstore, with real hours, with actual Brown character that's a vibrant and visible centerpiece of Thayer Street and that the only way that's happening is if a company with resources like B&N college is allowed to come in.

Here's the feedback site:

http://www.brown.edu/web/bookstore-committee/feedback.html

I'm usually the last to embrace chains, but the Brown Bookstore underachieves dramatically and no one has said why keeping it independent would make it anything better than what it already is.

- Garris

Thanks, G. I just did. Your comments mirror my own. The Notre Dame bookstore is an excellent example of a first rate college store, run by follett.

ND store

Thanks for putting in a comment! The more Brown hears about this from the community, the better our chances at getting a first rate bookstore that'll be a real asset to Thayer Street.

Again, for those of you who haven't done so, here's the link:

http://www.brown.edu/web/bookstore-committee/feedback.html

- Garris

The new Alegra location is really nice. The place is huge. I was up there last week, and it was still a work in progress and covered in dust, but looking good. It appears they'll have computer labs which is an improvement, and good for students trying to get something printed last minute.

Is there still a wi-fi cafe on Thayer St, above wings to go? I'm surprised that this concept hasen't taken off here, like it has in Europe, the Middle East and Russia. But I guess that's because we Americans can afford our own home computers. NYC, LA and Chicago probably have many such cafe's.

NYC, LA and Chicago probably have many such cafe's.

New York has a gigantic cyber-cafe on 42nd Street, just outside Times Square. I think it might bill itself as the worlds largest.

EasyInternetCafe

The website says it's the first branch of this cafe outside Europe and is indeed (at least by their own count) the world's largest.

New York has a gigantic cyber-cafe on 42nd Street, just outside Times Square. I think it might bill itself as the worlds largest.

EasyInternetCafe

The website says it's the first branch of this cafe outside Europe and is indeed (at least by their own count) the world's largest.

WOW! Number of PCs: 648 It's been a while since I've visited Manhatten, but have they cleaned up Times Square? Namely 42nd Street.

HA!! What's that like!? The world's largest McDonald adult playland!! BYOT Bring Your Own Toys :rofl:

I never went. I used to avoid Times Square at all costs when I lived in New York (it actually would have been a one train subway ride for me to get to work via Times Square, but I changed trains and got off somewhere eles just to avoid it). Too many damn tourists who've never seen neon or a naked cowboy before.

Supposedly the McD's has the best restrooms in New York though. The restaurant spans the block to 41st Street. It also has WiFi so you can surf the net and eat your fries. It's in an old theatre. Here's a photo.

Archived