>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RISD has officers patrolling in vehicles, and a dedicated foot patrol from 7pm to 3am, however RISD does not patrol Thayer Street regularly (they only respond to specific calls), their patrol area is from Prospect Street down to the river and over to 15West and the Mason/Fletcher Building on Weybosset. Brown has officers patrolling in the Thayer Street area, and I believe they have foot and bike patrols. PPD has a substation on Brook Street with officers assigned to the area, PPD patrols are boosted on weekends.

The thing about College Hill is the students are walking ATMs. If you're going to rob someone, that's the place to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you may have noticed a lot of work being done of late to buildings on Wickenden. A lot of painting and sanding, fixtures being replaced, etc. I don't know if this is a coodinated effort or a coincidence, but it's generally welcome, as many of these unique merchantile buildings were looking a bit run down.

The most recent upgrade is the painting of the building housing Fellini's. It looks like it'll be blue, rather than its old grey... Interesting... The gallery at the intersection of Hope and Wickenden also is undergoing some work.

Also, it looks like the Noggin's Nest moved from its virtually invisible location at the East end of Wickenden to a slightly less invisible location where Tropical Gangster's used to be...

In Wayland Sq, the gorgeous old mansion on Butler Ave between S. Angell and Medway (now housing apartments) is being completely gutted inside and out. It was beautiful, but very run down. I can't wait to see what it'll look like when they are done restoring it (and what they'll be restoring it to... My guess is a millon plus dollar home or individual condo units, but not apartments again).

- Garris

Anyone can give me the rough square footage of the Whole Foods on Waterman? And is it "urban" in design? Brainstorming ideas for retail on a street in Schenectady, I suggested Whole Foods, but when checking their website it clearly stated that new stores would only be considered where there is over 40k square feet and "ample parking already available." This store would be on the street, only about 25k square feet (unless it could go 2 level :yahoo: ), and would have not ample parking, but rather parking that would be onstreet and to the rear of the building. I've never seen the Whole Foods on Waterman, is it anything like I would want for my Schenectady street?

Anyone can give me the rough square footage of the Whole Foods on Waterman? And is it "urban" in design? Brainstorming ideas for retail on a street in Schenectady, I suggested Whole Foods, but when checking their website it clearly stated that new stores would only be considered where there is over 40k square feet and "ample parking already available." This store would be on the street, only about 25k square feet (unless it could go 2 level :yahoo: ), and would have not ample parking, but rather parking that would be onstreet and to the rear of the building. I've never seen the Whole Foods on Waterman, is it anything like I would want for my Schenectady street?

I'm not sure what the sq ft is of the Waterman St store but it is small, compared to their N. Main St store. And I've been to Schenectady and they need a lot more than a Whole Foods store :whistling:

I live a half block from that Whole Foods on Waterman, and I and most of my neighbors walk there. I'm not quite sure what you mean by is it "urban." It is surrounded by fronted car parking (albeit a small amount), so in that respect, no its not.

I don't know the square footage, but it's very small. What you read on the Whole Foods website is likely correct, as they have already stated their intent to close the Waterman Whole Foods when the Cranston Whole Foods is built and online :angry: . Apparently, even the North Main Whole Foods is smaller than what they'd like all the future Whole Foods to be like, so the Waterman one is a real throwback. They're looking to go "big box" in that fashion and really be a mega-supermarket, in line with the Super Stop and Shops :( . Myself and many of my neighbors have already written to Whole Foods to appeal the closing of the Waterman branch, and they say officially that no decision has been made, but I think we all know that it's only a matter of time until the Cranston one opens. The sad thing is that I believe I remember being told that the Waterman one does quite well financially. It's always packed, and the neighborhood is fiercely loyal to it. It's just that its layout and scale doesn't match where Whole Foods is going.

We've all been brainstorming what market we'd like to see replace the Whole Foods, as East Side Market certainly isn't pedestrian friendly, being at the end of that huge swath of dangerous parking. We're hoping Trader Joe's might be interested, although apparently Whole Foods wants to keep Trader Joe's out of Providence. Maybe holding on to that Waterman location to keep out Trader Joe's would be enough to keep them open.

What other chains do small urban markets?

- Garris

The last I heard is that Whole Foods has no intention of giving up the Waterman St. location. In fact they are planning to renovate.

Maybe Trader Joe's could open a store on North Main. I'm sure they could find their 68 parking spaces there.

The last I heard is that Whole Foods has no intention of giving up the Waterman St. location. In fact they are planning to renovate.

Well, if true, that's certainly great news. I noticed that they were doing some renovation to the produce section in there today.

Maybe Trader Joe's could open a store on North Main. I'm sure they could find their 68 parking spaces there.

How about the Produce Market across from the 903? Now that would draw people there...

- Garris

I'm not sure what the sq ft is of the Waterman St store but it is small, compared to their N. Main St store. And I've been to Schenectady and they need a lot more than a Whole Foods store :whistling:

Just wait Frankie, in another few years Schenectady will become a retail destination for the Capital Region. :blink:

Thanks for the input Garris, screw Whole Foods they don't seem like the right fit.

I don't know the square footage, but it's very small. What you read on the Whole Foods website is likely correct, as they have already stated their intent to close the Waterman Whole Foods when the Cranston Whole Foods is built and online.

I don't think that Cranston Whole Foods will open anytime soon. There was an article in the projo over the summer about how Shaws is pulling a power play at that location. Shaws opened one of those mega stores in that awful Sockanossett Cross Roads plaza but is keeping the old store open just to keep the competition out. The old store, which is basically right across the street, is mostly devoid of people but the article stated that as long as Shaws is open they can keep their lease.

Whole Foods is less than 40,000 sq. ft. Eastside Marketplace is probably around 45,000-50,000 sq. ft as a guide. I believe that the plaza where Wastside Marketplace as room on the eastern side for expansion?? I remember what I worked on the East Side, they renovated that plaza and left a footprint for future expansion - towards Gano. Eastside Marketplace a great deli there and I would get lunch there frequently...

Whole Foods is less than 40,000 sq. ft. Eastside Marketplace is probably around 45,000-50,000 sq. ft as a guide. I believe that the plaza where Wastside Marketplace as room on the eastern side for expansion?? I remember what I worked on the East Side, they renovated that plaza and left a footprint for future expansion - towards Gano. Eastside Marketplace a great deli there and I would get lunch there frequently...

Most of this footprint is now occupied by the townhouses they are putting up there. I don't think there is much room for expansion.

I've seen 2 Whole Foods that are probably represenative of thier "urban" model- one on River St. in Cambridge, and one in San Francisco (maybe on Van Ness or thereabouts?). Both have first-story parking with somewhat reasonable facades- you have to go up an escalator to get to the store. The Cambridge store also has a surface parking lot. I don't know when the SF store was built, but the Cambridge one was about 6 years ago or so. I think both are probably way less than 40,000 sq ft, but that's a guess. Considering WF seems committed to taking over the world, I'm sure they have an urban model they can pull out if the money is right.

Interestingly, WF has the same "2 stores in one small town" thing going in Cambridge- (actually 3, if you count the Fresh Pond store). They bought a small Bread & Circus on Prospect St. (much smaller than the older store in Providence), and have kept it open even after they built the much huger store less than a mile away. There must be some conscious strategy behind this- I don't think we should bet on them closing the Wateman store anytime soon just because new stores are being built.

I've seen 2 Whole Foods that are probably represenative of thier "urban" model... Considering WF seems committed to taking over the world, I'm sure they have an urban model they can pull out if the money is right...

Is the Whole Foods in Cambridge and SF like the one in Boston on Westlake behind Symphony Hall (a ground level supermarket attached to a parking garage)?

I would hope that WF has an urban commitment, but I could have sworn that I read a BusinessWeek article saying that WF wanted to shift directions and go a bigger-box, suburban route because:

1) It's a bigger growth area nationwide (exurban areas are regrettably the fasting growing national population centers), and...

2) Apparently WF is experimenting with a stores within stores model, where they don't have eisles, but more self contained mini-stores under one roof. I think their research shows that people tend to stay longer and buy more in such an arrangement, which obviously needs a large blueprint...

I'll try to find the article. Considering how they have become the lifeblood of many an urban neighborhood (I know people who've chosen apartments and condos in cities by WF proximity), I hope they stay committed to cities...

I don't think we should bet on them closing the Wateman store anytime soon just because new stores are being built.

I certainly hope so. This little Waterman branch is fantastic, and so amazingly convenient for me to just be able to stop at the end of a jog and do my shopping... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

- Garris

Is the Whole Foods in Cambridge and SF like the one in Boston on Westlake behind Symphony Hall (a ground level supermarket attached to a parking garage)?

I remember when that was a Star Market and then Bread and Circus. It's very small by modern standards, but when I lived in the Fenway I did all my shopping there.

I would hope that WF has an urban commitment, but I could have sworn that I read a BusinessWeek article saying that WF wanted to shift directions and go a bigger-box, suburban route because:

1) It's a bigger growth area nationwide (exurban areas are regrettably the fasting growing national population centers), and...

2) Apparently WF is experimenting with a stores within stores model, where they don't have eisles, but more self contained mini-stores under one roof. I think their research shows that people tend to stay longer and buy more in such an arrangement, which obviously needs a large blueprint...

That can all be done in an urban environment, it just costs a bit more. The (I think it's a Shaw's now) Star Market at Packard's Corner in Allston is a good example. It was the largest grocery store in New England when it opened. It had traditional aisles, but also has clustered specialty areas, including a juice bar and a bakery, and a florist, and a Starbucks, and a bank (I think there was even a day care center)... And it had parking in the back, but the parking could have been below as parkers had to drive under the store to pick up their items which went down a conveyer belt system to the loading docks (at the back, the basement was at the ground level because the site slopes).

I think the Stop & Shop near Everett Street in Brighton stole the largest in New England title and did so with a very traditional layout, with a parking moat around the front of the store. The Shaw's at Prudential Center I *think* now holds the largest title and from what I understand, is more like the model you describe above.

I think the best example of what work in my scenario is something like the Stop and Shop off Huntington in Boston (a few green line stops southwest of Northeastern), or even something like Ryan's Market in Wickford. Both have surface parking, but they're appropriate for their "urbanity" (probly not a word but you get my point) and not out front.

In Wayland Sq, the gorgeous old mansion on Butler Ave between S. Angell and Medway (now housing apartments) is being completely gutted inside and out. I can't wait to see what it'll look like when they are done restoring it (and what they'll be restoring it to... My guess is a millon plus dollar home or individual condo units, but not apartments again).

Well, looks like I was right. The beautiful old mansion used as an apartment building that's being gutted is going to be, drumroll... "Luxury" condos. There's a huge, lit sign in front of the work they're doing. It was raining hard, so I'll have to go back and look tomorrow, but I think the sign said 2+ garage, private courtyard, "spa" like baths, etc. I'll have more later on...

This will continue the condo-fication of Wayland Square. My building are condos, they want to replace the Gibbs school units with condos, East Side Commons should start occupancy soon (word is it's near or completely sold out), and the condos diagonally across from Whole Foods at Waterman and Butler (which are probably overpriced) are still on the market. Many homes are also being converted to condos around here.

The businesses are pretty happy about this. Anything to bring more shoppers to the neighborhood (especially monied ones) are music to their ears.

- Garris

Well, looks like I was right. The beautiful old mansion used as an apartment building that's being gutted is going to be, drumroll... "Luxury" condos. There's a huge, lit sign in front of the work they're doing. It was raining hard, so I'll have to go back and look tomorrow, but I think the sign said 2+ garage, private courtyard, "spa" like baths, etc. I'll have more later on...

This will continue the condo-fication of Wayland Square. My building are condos, they want to replace the Gibbs school units with condos, East Side Commons should start occupancy soon (word is it's near or completely sold out), and the condos diagonally across from Whole Foods at Waterman and Butler (which are probably overpriced) are still on the market. Many homes are also being converted to condos around here.

The businesses are pretty happy about this. Anything to bring more shoppers to the neighborhood (especially monied ones) are music to their ears.

- Garris

This sounds great! The Wayland Sq. area has been overlooked for too long. I'm gonna have to get back there and check everything out. :thumbsup:

Archived