>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally made my way to Roba!Dolce on Thayer Street today and it was pretty good. I took my lunch back to the office so I didn't eat in, but someone else was ordering to eat in and they bring the food out to you (at least they did around 1:30p when I was there, which is after the lunch rush). I had the Paulie G. pannini which is italian chicken, ceasar dressing, bacon, lettuce, and tomato. It was delicious, and not bad at $6.75. The iced coffee however was mediocre and rather small at $1.95, and it was jam packed with ice, which was anoying, though it was prepared with a shaker which would have been cool if it tasted better. I'll be sticking with DD and the Pain for my iced coffee. I can't wait to go back to Roba!Dolce to try the gelato, I can't believe I made it out without having any.

Hey guys ... I just wanted to randomly throw out another request for any photos of the Brown University life-science building. I don't get many chances to go back to Providence, and I'd love to see the progress.

I never have my camera with me when I go up there. But actually there's not a whole lot to see. It's built up to it's maximum height, but it is covered with scaffolding and the scaffolding is covered with white tarps, so you can't actually see the building.

I'll try to remember to get a picture of it eventually though.

Hey guys ... I just wanted to randomly throw out another request for any photos of the Brown University life-science building. I don't get many chances to go back to Providence, and I'd love to see the progress.

Thanks

One of these days I will develop the film I have with recent pics of that building.

Sometimes I wish I had a decent digital cammera.

I'll try to get the pics up this week.

Should I post them in this thread or in the "Prov pic of the day" thread?

Should I post them in this thread or in the "Prov pic of the day" thread?

In the "pic of the day" thread would be great...

As Cotuit mentioned, it doesn't look like much right now, covered in a huge tarp. I'm not going by there often, but it feels like construction has stopped for some time. Are they working on the interior now?

- Garris

I finally made my way to Roba!Dolce on Thayer Street today and it was pretty good. I took my lunch back to the office so I didn't eat in, but someone else was ordering to eat in and they bring the food out to you (at least they did around 1:30p when I was there, which is after the lunch rush). I had the Paulie G. pannini which is italian chicken, ceasar dressing, bacon, lettuce, and tomato. It was delicious, and not bad at $6.75. The iced coffee however was mediocre and rather small at $1.95, and it was jam packed with ice, which was anoying, though it was prepared with a shaker which would have been cool if it tasted better. I'll be sticking with DD and the Pain for my iced coffee. I can't wait to go back to Roba!Dolce to try the gelato, I can't believe I made it out without having any.

I never have my camera with me when I go up there. But actually there's not a whole lot to see. It's built up to it's maximum height, but it is covered with scaffolding and the scaffolding is covered with white tarps, so you can't actually see the building.

I'll try to remember to get a picture of it eventually though.

definately going to check it out, its pretty cool that they started in Providence and are soon expanding to Boston. Sonds like the beginning of a long, successful business.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the National Register Listing won't do much on its own merits to "make it harder for developers and property owners to build structures or additions that don't fit the neighborhood's character" as projo hopes... National Register status only restricts the use of public funds by invoking a process called Section 106 review, to evaluate the impact of the proposed project on the historic fabric. If they want to see restrictions then it needs to be designated as a local historic district and put under the purview of the Providence Historic District Commission, which I doubt will happen unless somebody wants to invest considerable time and money into the process.

I atually like the idea. I'm not a huge fan of HDS though, just looking at their other projects, so I wouldn't be surprised if the render wasn't all that attractive. But a couple of 100 ft. buildings there isn't really that bad. I always thought Richmond Square could use some more height. It's really disconnected from the rest of the East Side so it's not like putting a 100 ft. building right at the corner of Wayland and Waterman or something.

Does Wayland Manor really ruin the feel of the neighborhood? I don't think so, and that is much more intrusive than these buildings would be.

Garris did this get mentioned at the meeting last night?

This is the Richmond Square project, we have a thread on it in the Projects section, so I'm going to post a link to this article there.

I actually think there are two projects. The mixed use is on the parking lot south of the pink building. These condos are north, between the pink building and the red bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Look for them to move elsewhere in Providence (off Thayer) in the near future.

Westminster would be nice, though I don't know where they could find an ownership opportunity. Near Hotel Providence would be good, get lot's of guest traffic.

My guess is they're better off closer to Brown. Is their mall outpost still open?

The Oop! was still there the last time I went through the mall, that was to see King Kong about three weeks ago. I don't think they will have two downtown locations. I wouldn't be surprised if they merely kept their mall location for a while. It would be nice if they kept a presence on Thayer somewhere, though.

I want that store in newport to come to westminster. it's perfect for tourists and people looking to buy some unique gifts.

http://www.onlyinrhodeisland.com/

I say it'll be the perfect addition to Westminster once a couple hundred more people come to live downtown once the condos are finished. Until then, maybe it could open up a cart or kiosk during the summer when waterfire is out and about.????

• 3 weeks later...

Archived