Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

Dell Curry was classy too.

In respect to Dell, the team really needs to do more to outreach to the public. They should run youth camps, do more community service, be more visible in general.

Several Panthers, Mike Minter and Mke Rucker especially, have been very good public faces for the team, and people respect that.

It wouldn't hurt if Robert Johnson and the other owners came to more of the games. Mark Cuban LOVES his Mavericks, and will chat on his blog to anyone about them. Johnson doesn't appear to have any emotion towards this team, except annoyance that they are losing money.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cringed when Bob Johnson was selected, and I hate to see that I was right. It's as if the team is a distraction for him...I would have love to seen what the other ownership group could have done. We'll never know.

I hate to say it, but if Bob doesn't change the way he runs the team, he'll have to sell it in a few years. He's running it right into the ground.

If they declare bankruptcy, Charlotte could have an empty arena and find itself at the receiving end of a lawsuit for failure to hold up its side of the contract*.

The positive side is perhaps Charlotte will learn that subsidizing pro sports on the scale of hundreds of millions is a poor deal. I doubt that however.

* I got that from the guy at the John Locke Meck blog.

The thing that makes the whole scenario so annoying is that Johnson got such a sweet deal with a free arena and now takes it upon himself to poor mouth and demand the NBA give him profit from other large market teams. This organization must be in disarray to have such financial problems this early in the organization's history.

I cringed when Bob Johnson was selected, and I hate to see that I was right. It's as if the team is a distraction for him...I would have love to seen what the other ownership group could have done. We'll never know.

I hate to say it, but if Bob doesn't change the way he runs the team, he'll have to sell it in a few years. He's running it right into the ground.

The thing that makes the whole scenario so annoying is that Johnson got such a sweet deal with a free arena and now takes it upon himself to poor mouth and demand the NBA give him profit from other large market teams. This organization must be in disarray to have such financial problems this early in the organization's history.

The arena is built, so unfortunately split milk there, but I agree with what several posters above have said - the failure of the Bobcats is due primarilly to it's owner. Yes, professional basketball is not even a shadow of it's former self, and is a problem for the league in general, but imagine an owner like MJ, as mentioned, hyping it up, getting out in public being his larger than life self, shooting hoops with local kids, the ways to make a city love a team are endless. I also happen to think the name itself is dumb as hell, but even dumb names catch on when the namesake is doing well, and winning isn't the only way a team can do well. Colorful, extroverted, community involved players can do that as well. My vote is to let Bob Johnson fail, and do the leg work to bring in an owner that is dedicated to his/her task, we should do this because at that point the arena will be sitting there mostly unused, and I believe metro is right, CLT will get little from BJ because of either bankruptcy and/or some kind of settlement agreement.

And I can't end this post without a plug for our old Charlotte Hornets, may they someday return, if they do I'll do my part by buying season tickets. It may just be a name and a uniform, but is really much more, just ask a Browns fan.

First off, this is only the Bobcats second season! How can anyone expect veteran talent on a second year team? Draft picks are the way every new franchise goes. I don't think they have done a bad job with the players on this team at all. I watch them on tv everynight, and love it! Even though I do hate then NBA.

We have Sean May and Raymond Felton. It was a very smart move by the Bobcats to draft these guys. Imagine the attendance if they had gone after some of the other players. I think it was a smart move. Morrison was also a smart draft pick. It takes time to put together a winning team. Anyone who thinks the Bobcats should be winning now are fooling themselves.

I do hate the name Bobcats though. I think the NBA will remain in Charlotte for a long. long time. Just under a different owner.

About Iverson, he is not coming to Charlotte. He wants to leave the sixers because he feels he does not have a chance to win their. Why would he then come to Charlotte? Iverson said himself that there is no way he is coming to Charlotte. He said he does not want to play here.

I think Johnson will sell pretty soon but don't see Jordan as the buyer but rather the minority partners in the organization already such as Levine, Sabates, etc. The problem is that the Bobcats name is already dirt so essentially they will have to start from scratch in rebuilding the franchise (amazing in only 3-4 years). This, however, doesn't surprise me in the NBA.

There were plenty of people that were trying to buy the Hornets. I'm sure that if Johnson wanted out, then there would be enough resources here to buy the team. Frankly, local ownership might help.

Also, does anyone think that, with all of the troubles of the Hornets lately we could buy that brand back? Hornets is a very historic local sports name, and as much as people hated Shinn, I think the Hornets brand was pretty close to intact here.

I also dislike the Bobcats name, although I'm sure most other names would seem amateurish. But really, it showed quite a bit of arrogance to name a team after himself. Plus, he has barely shown himself in the community, which has been a major negative since he started deep in a hole with public goodwill.

It is amazing, though, people really seem to be boycotting the place, which is not good for the city and really is counterproductive in trying to reduce the costs of government.

I predict a few more years of slumping attendance, but that they won't leave, and after their fifth year, things will start to turn. I don't see much change, though, in public perception for a few years.

^ so, do ya'll think that it is a lack of talent on the bobcats team that is keeping away the fans here? that seems odd b/c the hornets games we're packing the house for many a losing season even when kelly tripuka was our "star".

i also don't think the lack of attendance is due to a grudge against the arena. i think the problem lies within the game itself... the culture it has allowed itself to build. with such a huge schedule, focus on money, and extremely boring individual play... PROFESSIONAL basketball is eating itself. IMO, it's as lackluster as it gets and i am someone who really loves college basketball.

you summed up my thoughts exactly. We were there the first night we got our asses kicked by cleveland......we went to every game till about '98. NBA has gone sour. Until money becomes less of an issue and players act like this is still a game of basketball (not a business).....i will not support the team.

We had hornets season tickets from 88-98. I have yet to watch 1 min of a bobcats game on a tv or in the arena. I don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

For those of you with the printed observer there is a caricature of the bobcats mascot being speared by an the arrow on a financial chart pointing down called "Finances".

City gives them $300M facility and they still can't make money with it! Remember this isn't just the NBA, as Johnson collects revenue from ALL events held at that venue. The taxpayers have gotten rooked, and the cries this arena would bring fame and glory to downtown Charlotte are not turning out to be true. (As predicted)

Not sure what you mean by the Mayberry mentality, please explain how relevant. Also, this is not simple newness of the team attracting criticisms, this is an owner with serious issues, as you must know from following the Bobcats. These kinds of owners have problems in any sport in any city.

Guys, guys, guys, how little you know about the NBA. Every one of you must have forgot the Toronto Raptors or VANCOUVER Grizzlies. Those two teams began in 1995 with an expansion draft, which they recieved 2 times the available pool of players (which expontially helped their chances of recieving a good player). They recieved the 1st and second picks in the draft, and they were able to recieve nearly FULL salary caps. It took the Grizzlies 9 years and 2 cities to make the playoffs! At one point they lost 24 straight games (in I think their second season). The Raptors took 5 seasons to make the playoffs, even after they drafted Tracy McGrady, Marcus Camby, Damon Stoudemire and Antoine Jamison (they traded him for Vince Carter). So as we can see being an expanison team in the NBA is tough. It was even tougher for the Bobs. They had a weak expansion draft pool, a weak NBA draft were they recieved the 4th pick instead of the previous first for an expansion team (they had to trade up for Okafor), AND they were only able to have half a salary cap in their first year and 3/4ths a cap last year, this is a big reason why they have such a low salary cap figure. They elected not to hire a big free agent because there were not very many suitable candidates. The 2007 free agent pool should be good, so blame them afterward if they have no big hires. They looked good tonight in their first nationally televised game in front of over 17000 exited fans. The commish of the NBA was there he was sitting with McCrory (Johnson was there too but he was seated in a different area). Give the BOBs a chance!

Would a majority agree that the arena has succeeding in providing what was promised (Economic Development and a 1st Class venue) while the Bobcats ownership has failed?

I don't think its fair to join the two, as the city had other objectives besides having a winning team, and I think the city has achieved most of their objectives. The NBA failed the city, when they awarded the team to an owner that is unwilling or incapable of providing a brand that the city is proud of.

^ Agreed. I both understand the criticisms and the wish that this money had went to something else like transit, museums and cultural things, etc., but also that the arena can have that stimulus affect for uptown that can't be underestimated.

Here's what I'm wondering - can we fill the arena with water and host an aquarium for 6 months of the year?? :D

Archived