Traffic, Freeways and Road Construction

monsoon

Oh, I missed that when I read the article (or it wasn't in the version I had read, as sometimes they update their web articles on the fly).

I do hope they use it for Independence. Borrowed money should be spent on locations that will create the largest economic growth benefit, like Independence with major congestion. But also, around Independence the land costs and construction costs will continue to rise very fast, which is part of the current problem in the corridor.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the surprise ice this morning caused a lot of accidents and road closures. I hope the UP peeps are all ok.

I stayed off the freeways today because of it. Not only was traffic brutal, but it is quite scary to hit ice when going fast.

The news this morning mentioned higher risk for ice on the new novachip-surfaced 277 and 85. I find that hard to believe, considering novachip keeps water off the road surface. Yesterday, in the heavy rains, it was so much nicer to drive on those two interstates recently repaved with novachip than the sections and freeways that were not.

WCNC is reporting the accidents were made much worse on the Brookshire freeway this morning because of the new asphalt the NCDOT used on the Brookshire. They apparently ignored reports that said this stuff, Novachip, increases freezing danger. As a result the police had to close the freeway this morning.

The CDOT is not ready to use Novachip on the streets that it is responsible for because of this freezing issue.

So that means we won't even be able to get the projects that are in our 2030 plan? There is a serious funding deficiency, as many projects aren't even in the 2030 plan that are probably already needed.

Do unlikely assumptions mean we might be at serious risk of being non-compliant with our air quality? It seems that if the money isn't found, and the projects don't get built, and congestion gets worse, then we will be in violation.

I don't think there is much to worry about in the short term. The first few years of the plan are dictated by the state TIP (thru 2012) to a large degree (like completing 485), and the MUMPO 2030 plan reflects that. When MUMPO does the next plan, it will have to go thru this process again. In the longer term, there could be issues with AQ conformity if funding levels do not increase.

Bottom line is all over the US, due to sprawl, auto trips are increasing in length (VMT=vehicle miles travelled), and in high growth areas, such as Charlotte, it's made even worse. Transportation funding can't keep up with demand. VMT and lately high construction costs due to inflation, Katrina, etc, have eaten away at transportation dollars, which grow at a near flat rate over time.

Charlotte's ace in the hole, IMO, is CATS. If the South LRT takes off and others follow, it could actually change the way Charlotte develops in the future (more dense/sustainable), which would positively influence AQ and reduce VMT growth.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13419346.htm

I love NC's price-sensitive gas tax. Gas taxes will rise 2.8cents/gallon on new year's day.

It always cracks me up that local news cries about it, as though it is the end of the world. But at least this money is entirely reinvested into the local economy, and creates infrastructure that we all benefit from. 2.8 cents is miniscule compared to the money that been added through the oil companies. All of that money goes to oil company profits, and to countries that invest heavily in terrorism and hatred.

I just hope the silly politics of proposing gas tax caps when gas prices make news doesn't actually get passed. NC really needs the money to fund roads.

Chief, anyway you can find out if and when the state plans to resurface East Seventh Street through the Elizabeth neighborhood? I nearly lost my front axle a couple of weeks ago in a pothole. I called the city...it's a state maintained road...I called the state...voice mail...three messages, none returned.

I don't know about resurfacing, but I noticed somewhere on the MUMPO site that they want to include the widening of 7th street from Independence to Laurel as one in the medium-term projects list. Most of you may know that is the stretch that has 3 lanes with the center lane being reversible based on rush hour direction.

I used to think it was great that they avoided widening the road to save the trees. However, Duke has hacked the trees to death because of the overhead powerlines, so you might as well just widen the road, plant new street treets and hopefully relocate or bury the utility lines.

Chief, anyway you can find out if and when the state plans to resurface East Seventh Street through the Elizabeth neighborhood? I nearly lost my front axle a couple of weeks ago in a pothole. I called the city...it's a state maintained road...I called the state...voice mail...three messages, none returned.

Not on the current list to repave, but might make the list for FY 07 (July 06- June 07) according to the guy I talked to.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/new...ic/13527016.htm

$3.2 bbbillion have been diverted from the Highway Trust (sic) Fund in the last 15 years!

That is outrageous. It is so laughable that the legislators are playing games to prevent the tiny rise in gas tax, that would only last 6 months. Meanwhile, we have billions and billions of dollars in current needs (that is roadway capacity we need at this very minute, not just to accommodate future growth) which are unfunded and can't be built for decades.

So not only do Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle pay significant amounts of money in gas tax to build excessive freeways and bypasses in tiny rural eastern towns, but we also pay significant gas tax to cover the deficits of random state departments.

Honestly, I think I could even be okay with the use of the gas tax revenues to cover general state expenses, if the cities were also given the ability to increase gas taxes even more to cover our actual transportation needs without risk the money being diverted.

That way, each city could make determinations on whether the economic benefits from the roadway project was enough to exceed the economic impact of the higher taxes.

• 4 weeks later...

To walk to the tax office, the school construction on Stonewall *forces* you to cross and walk on the south side of Stonewall. I don't think drivers merging into Stonewall are mentally prepared to see pedestrians in that area.

I think that's a start, an article from the Observer from last year also mentioned, what is called something like "road slimming" or something like sounds silly like that, is the process of taking a multi-lane road with each lane being 12ft and reducing it to 10ft or 11ft and putting a median or bike lanes where the road would gain those extra few feet from new 10ft or 11ft lanes. They do tend to slow down traffic a bit as one would have to pay more attention to the road as how much space is between one and the driver next to you. One of those projects was The Plaza and Parkwood Ave.

I'll take a few arrows here. :unsure:

I'm not wild about bike lanes. I'd rather see the money spent on proper bus pullouts. At least automobile traffic (which by far the majority use the street) can get around the busses without motorists getting impatient and cutting around dangerously. And it would help the riders and bus drivers feel safer. There are more bus riders than there are cyclists. So, I say use the money for the greater benefit.

I don't know if it's legal in Charlotte for bicycles to use the sidewalk (some cities have ordinances against it), but when I used a bike as a student, that's where I was. I just didn't trust motorists to look out properly.

On the flip side, I remember in Irvine and Tustin, there were some separate bikeways with "no pedestrian" signs. I always thought that was asinine. I walked on them anyway! I seriously doubt it was being enforced, though.

I'll take a few arrows here. :unsure:

I'm not wild about bike lanes. I'd rather see the money spent on proper bus pullouts. At least automobile traffic (which by far the majority use the street) can get around the busses without motorists getting impatient and cutting around dangerously. And it would help the riders and bus drivers feel safer. There are more bus riders than there are cyclists. So, I say use the money for the greater benefit.

I don't know if it's legal in Charlotte for bicycles to use the sidewalk, but when I used a bike as a student, that's where I was. I just didn't trust motorists to look out properly.

I am a frequent biker myself and I try to trust others but I feel safer if the bike lanes are not ON the road and are located a foot off the road. I will admit that this is a step in the right direction for the city and I am glad they are considering these possible changes to the city's road system.

Archived