The Avenue

monsoon

I just looked at your photo bucket. Where did Duke Energy get that plug in Prius ? I've got a regular Prius - I would love that one ! That's another thing these hi-rise developers need to be thinking about. Plug in recepticles at each parking space metered to that unit. The future is coming quicker than we think.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking hybrid car-sharing is the next evolution for Charlotte.....essentially the developer would supply 1 hybrid Prius for every 8 units or so. Residents would reserve the car via the internet for upto 5 days a month.....a gas card would be billed to the condo association.

Obviously, this would be most appealing for people who can walk to work, so it would only work in buildings like Avenue. To keep the buildinger marketable, they would offer enough parking spaces to cover 50% of the units, and offer to sell them as deeded spaces to a particular unit.

For a building like Avenue which has approx. 400 spaces, this would reduce the number to about 250 spaces, and the developers cost to the equivalent of 300 spaces (to account for the purchasing of Prius'), a 25% savings on parking infastructure.

EDIT. To make the my numbers more reasonable.

I'm thinking hybrid car-sharing is the next evolution for Charlotte.....essentially the developer would supply 1 hybrid Prius for every 5 units or so. Residents would reserve the car via the internet for upto 6 days a month.....a gas card would be billed to the condo association.

Obviously, this would be most appealing for people who can walk to work, so it would only work in buildings like Avenue. To keep the buildinger marketable, they would offer enough parking spaces to cover 50% of the units, and offer to sell them as deeded spaces to a particular unit.

For a building like Avenue which has approx. 400 spaces, this would reduce the number to about 280 spaces, and the developers cost to the equivalent of 350 spaces, a 12% savings on parking infastructure.

Don't be surprised if this comes to Charlotte. I was part of a discussing study group earlier this year, what you have talked about above turned out to be what we were there for. We were all uptown residents and discussed whether we or those we know would likely use this type of business. It was almost a unanimous *yes* from everyone.

If I personally could have a car a couple of times a week with easy access I'd have no need for my own car at all.

They currently have a car sharing service (Zipcar.com) in Chapel Hill. I saw one in Portland a few weeks ago. Portland had special "car sharing" parking spaces next to the Tram Stops. Let's just face it though. Portland is much much more progressive than CLT when it comes transportation and suburbanization (that word makes me cringe).

It's a great idea and may work in CLT...but not until we are a little denser. Most people won't want to use them on a regular basis. Maybe once a week to shop at the most.

They currently have a car sharing service (Zipcar.com) in Chapel Hill. I saw one in Portland a few weeks ago. Portland had special "car sharing" parking spaces next to the Tram Stops. Let's just face it though. Portland is much much more progressive than CLT when it comes transportation and suburbanization (that word makes me cringe).

It's a great idea and may work in CLT...but not until we are a little denser. Most people won't want to use them on a regular basis. Maybe once a week to shop at the most.

I saw that they were working on the amenities deck today, finishing that up. From what I could see, they had the fire pit up, a terrace, and were putting in lighting. I could only imagine how beautiful it will be on top of that amenities deck during the night when it opens...

10-04-07036.jpg

Also- here is the back side of Avenue since this angle seems to be missed.

10-04-07018.jpg

I saw that they were working on the amenities deck today, finishing that up. From what I could see, they had the fire pit up, a terrace, and were putting in lighting. I could only imagine how beautiful it will be on top of that amenities deck during the night when it opens...

10-04-07036.jpg

Also- here is the back side of Avenue since this angle seems to be missed.

10-04-07018.jpg

Other building features in the lobby are a waterfall wall and plasmas that display your choice of art work. You get to choose from a large database of art work and whenever you swipe your fob to enter the building all of the plamas change to your desired artwork. Same goes for the elevators. Whenever you swipe your fob the on board t.v.'s switch to your favorite news channel for your elevator ride.

I wish you hadn't shown this, I was trying to use my imagination to picture what the back looked like knowing it would be a travesty. The back is absolutely awful. I have no problem with the front of the building due to the round glass in the middle that breaks up the monotony. I hate to be the people working lower level at 201 N. Tryon, because i would hate to look at this all day.

Quick question. Whats up with the window pattern? One Double Pane, One single, 2 double, 1 single, 2 double, 2 single, 7 double, 2 single. Can somebody get a shot from the other angle to see if it ends in the same matter as it starts. Also another thing that bothers me about not just the back of the parking, deck, but about the entire buiding is the exposed concrete, it really looks unfinished, I wish they would put either paint it, put granite paneling up or some sort of veneer( :ph34r: ) on the building.

To share a different perspective, I think they really did a good job with the back side of the parking deck. I wouldn't go as far as saying it has character, but it is reminiscent of many commercial buildings built around 1900. Brick warehouses, cotton or tobacco mills, etc. I really like the way you can stand on Tryon, look over toward the Avenue and mistake the parking deck for an old building not automatically assuming that the tower is really connected. For a good example look at the 5th St side of the Ivey's building, flat, brick and lots of windows.

If you're not a fan, it could be a lot worse. Imagine more of the same grate work that's on the parking deck next door, or how about just open space, as has been the direction in some of Novare's previous projects. The following link leads to the ViewPoint construction cam. (Atlanta) To the left is Spire which opened a couple years ago. Looking at the lower section reveals a completely open parking deck. The low rise residents next door have a great view of car parts. Now that's ugly.

http://novare.oxblue.com/viewpoint/

From the perspective of use, I will be much happier parking my car in the Ave deck as oppose to TradeMark. Being fully enclosed, there won't be as much dust blowing in, and cars parked in the exterior facing spaces won't get wet in a blowing rain.

To share a different perspective, I think they really did a good job with the back side of the parking deck. I wouldn't go as far as saying it has character, but it is reminiscent of many commercial buildings built around 1900. Brick warehouses, cotton or tobacco mills, etc. I really like the way you can stand on Tryon, look over toward the Avenue and mistake the parking deck for an old building not automatically assuming that the tower is really connected.

I wish you hadn't shown this, I was trying to use my imagination to picture what the back looked like knowing it would be a travesty. The back is absolutely awful. I have no problem with the front of the building due to the round glass in the middle that breaks up the monotony, but this lacks any 3D quality at all, it is a completely flat surface. Honestly, I'd hate to be the people working lower level at 201 N. Tryon. Imagine looking over settlers for so long and suddenly you have this parking deck staring you in the face, at least from this point up is pretty awe inspiring.

The backside just borders an alley, a small break room time eating area outside for the neighboring building, and I got the glimpse since I was on top of the parking deck next door. I don't really mind it, I'm surprised that they even went to this detail for a parking garage...

They were busy today finishing up the sidewalk as well as the sidewalk level glass and doors. I spoke to one of the foremen and it sounds like they were scrambling to get ready for walkthroughs tomorrow. Getting close!

I am really disapointed with the exposed conrete finish. It looks really really bad, especially up close. The finsh work they are doing just seems sloppy. As a future Avenue homeowner I would be willing to shell out a little extra cash for them to do this right. This is the first impression people will have and will affect the value of the property. Who knows - maybe they have a trick up their sleeves to make this look better.

On a positive note the lobby is looking awesome!!! The choice of finishes, in addition to the waterwall feature with etched glass is dead on. The LCD wall art, and touch screens LCD security panels are mighty tasty. Pictures below.

Avenue%20102.jpg

Avenue%20103.jpg

Avenue%20104.jpg

They were busy today finishing up the sidewalk as well as the sidewalk level glass and doors. I spoke to one of the foremen and it sounds like they were scrambling to get ready for walkthroughs tomorrow. Getting close!

I am really disapointed with the exposed conrete finish. It looks really really bad, especially up close. The finsh work they are doing just seems sloppy. As a future Avenue homeowner I would be willing to shell out a little extra cash for them to do this right. This is the first impression people will have and will affect the value of the property. Who knows - maybe they have a trick up their sleeves to make this look better.

On a positive note the lobby is looking awesome!!! The choice of finishes, in addition to the waterwall feature with etched glass is dead on. The LCD wall art, and touch screens LCD security panels are mighty tasty. Pictures below.

Avenue%20102.jpg

Avenue%20103.jpg

Avenue%20104.jpg

Motopeepers...i must have just missed you last night. I walked through the lobby too and was really impressed (I close in Feb). The work in the Lobby is simply stellar. I'm hopeful that with some nice retail tenants that this will be a really great block.

Personally, I'm happy that I don't have to deal with dust in the garage. I live in Cotton Mills now and my car is consistantly covered in grit. I never drive, but have to get car washes every other time I take it out. The backside of the garage is actually impressive..considering it's barely viewable at all by anyone. Once they put up the Retail Awnings I think it'll look less "blocky". I haven't seen the rust stains, but I'm concerned about exposed concrete's weathering over time. I assume it will be powerwashed regulary?

Archived