Northside Developments

westsider28

According to this H-J article, many Robert Smalls residents have been without heat recently, but the units are now being fixed.  That site seems to be cursed...

No exact move-in date for the new Fire Dept. HQ.  Driving by recently, it looks like work has stalled a bit.  Not much seems to have changed in the past month, at least on the exterior, which still has a tarp over the future fire engine bays and gravel where the driveway will be.

• 1 month later...

Fire Dept. HQ seems to be making slow progress.  I wonder how it's completion timeline may effect the City Hall demolition timeline.  Maybe it's far enough along?  Or maybe they can spread stuff amongst the branch locations? IDK.

It looks like there's finally movement at the Magnolia Street Townes site (between Raindrop and Milan).

PXL_20240114_215217166.thumb.jpg.863d47aabab6da32a1c8073f2ef6673a.jpg

Reminder that the plan is 11 units, owner-occupied (not rentals).

magtownes2.jpg.db781b5a0612036973fe4a3b034e89b2.jpgmagtownes1.thumb.jpg.f9ab5ab091352c3e4e3f3de0aed8e2fb.jpg

Looks like at least one owner has moved into the rowhouses at Village at Creekside.  No evidence of further construction yet.

No sign of movement on Northside Townhomes Phase 2 or Aden Bonded Warehouse.

Calvary Baptist Church on North Church Street has been demolished.  This church once anchored a solid working  class neighborhood between Wofford College, the hospital, and the Spartan Mill community.  

Sad to see it go but it was also sad to watch it deteriorate.  

• Sad 1

On 1/17/2024 at 11:18 AM, roads-scholar said:

Calvary Baptist Church on North Church Street has been demolished.  This church once anchored a solid working  class neighborhood between Wofford College, the hospital, and the Spartan Mill community.  

Sad to see it go but it was also sad to watch it deteriorate.  

Looks like they're saving some of the bricks at least...

PXL_20240118_214430592.thumb.jpg.712ccc4a8fcc2ce13376a341894388c6.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

According to the minutes from the Feb. 12 City Council meeting, there are still ongoing issues at Robert Smalls.  That development is truly cursed.

Also, the Fire Department members and equipment that are currently housed at 145 W. Broad Street will move to the new Fire Facility at Wofford Street in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by westsider28
updated link and added info

P&C article about the many issues at Robert Smalls.  HVAC problems, broken floors, leaks, mold, smoke alarms and appliances malfunctioning.  No comment from the developer or manager.

I had concerns from the start about the modular construction of these units.  Unfortunate for residents who were supposed to be getting an upgrade from the terrible Norris Ridge housing.  I hope the developer/manager will be held accountable and living conditions made right.

56 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

P&C article about the many issues at Robert Smalls.  HVAC problems, broken floors, leaks, mold, smoke alarms and appliances malfunctioning.  No comment from the developer or manager.

I had concerns from the start about the modular construction of these units.  Unfortunate for residents who were supposed to be getting an upgrade from the terrible Norris Ridge housing.  I hope the developer/manager will be held accountable and living conditions made right.

I wanted to give the developer the benefit of the doubt. And some of the delays in the delivery of this project were not their fault (supply chain, some other issues). But this is absolutely atrocious. 

• 4 weeks later...

The final space in The Hub (between Knowledge Perk and Sully's) will be filled by The Hub Taproom, which will serve beer and wine (no liquor) in a laid-back atmosphere.  It's planned to open in late-May or early-June.  I'm hopeful it may be something in the vein of The Growler Haus.  I've really missed a place like that since it closed.  Good to see this development fully occupied as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 5:53 PM, westsider28 said:

The final space in The Hub (between Knowledge Perk and Sully's) will be filled by The Hub Taproom, which will serve beer and wine (no liquor) in a laid-back atmosphere.  It's planned to open in late-May or early-June.  I'm hopeful it may be something in the vein of The Growler Haus.  I've really missed a place like that since it closed.  Good to see this development fully occupied as well.

heard about this very vaguely a few months back but it'll be interesting development especially right next to Wofford. Even if this particular space is a little small it is nice to see the Hub kind of become an example for development where there are different shops that cater to a variety of interests throughout the day rather than merely just lunch or dinner

• Like 1