Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 2/22/2024 at 11:03 AM, Bos2Nash said:

There is a ton of push back, but I have been told that the pattern book bill has already gone through and been pushed to planning.

I sent in my support as well and received feedback from two At-Large CMs. They are doing alot of outreach because of the high levels of pushback from alot of folks. I plan on attending a public meeting in Madison in March with CMs Benedict, Capp and Evans-Segall (one of the leads of the NEST bills).

I supported all but one of the bills, but the non-support was more nuance and wording. It was the Residential Scale, Multi-Family bill. Multi-family is used in the title of the bill (and subsequent land-use category) but it is for two/three/four unit structures, designed to look like single family structures. In another bill, the definition of "multi-family" has been revised to specifically be for structures of "three or more units". So in an attempt to simplify and make things easier, the bills are adding a certain level of confusion. I would rather the council revise the "two-family" land-use category to just be two/three/four family land use. Based on what the CMs have told me, I kinda get it, but I also feel like we are adding an unnecessary layer to the zoning code to avoid a more complicated - but thorough - bill passage.

My biggest compliant however, is the steps they are taking are not big or impactful enough, IMHO. I'll use the minimum lot size example. It is great that we are moving to that, but they are paired with other elements of the zoning code. For example, on an RM-9 lot, the minimum lot size is 9,000 SF (currently) with and FAR of 0.6. To build a 5,000 SF structure (maximum allowed under the proposed bills), you would still be required to have  a parcel that is 8,333 SF. So to me, this bill should also be partnered with an FAR adjustment. I have been told that is part of a long-range effort to update FAR, but I think it needs to have more immediacy. Similar to FAR was a big factor in the parking minimum/maximum conversation. By eliminating the parking minimums (FYI single family/two-family were exempted from that change) people talked about adding more housing. But without adjusting the FAR (which parking is not part of that calculation) a site that has already maxxed out its FAR can't in fact replace its parking with housing, because the FAR says you can't. Removing parking regs was a win, for sure, but to see the actual effects we need to take the next step in adjusting the actual controls on the built structure. Otherwise it is feel-good, fluffy legislation in my mind.

My problem with this bill is as follows.

Number one: Breaks up the continuity of established neighborhoods. There are few of these left in Nashville proper. 

Number Two: There will be no such thing as affordable in these neighborhoods. It will just be housing. In these neighborhoods it will be expensive housing as these are higher end neighborhoods.

Number three: The council members sponsoring the bill should recuse themselves as they are realtors and could have a conflict of interest.

Number Four: Developers are the ones originally behind the NEST bill. Enough said. They are just out for more money. Not affordable housing. Just housing. 

Number Five: Plenty of areas already available to build as it is that are not yet built out. example or of Woodbine, Charlotte Park, Madison, many parts of East Nashville. What makes these other areas more attractive? This fact that they are in higher priced neighborhoods where home values are already higher and the lots would fetch a higher price and thus the homes built there would fetch a higher price because of location, location, location!

I expect to be jumped on, but the truth is the truth. This is done for the greedy developers and real estate agents by developer and real estate agents. There will be no affordable housing as that is just a buzz word to get it through council as we all know affordable cannot be mandated and there will be no rules to speak of to protect what happens with these homes as far as price point.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Number one: Breaks up the continuity of established neighborhoods. There are few of these left in Nashville proper. 

Number Two: There will be no such thing as affordable in these neighborhoods. It will just be housing. In these neighborhoods it will be expensive housing as these are higher end neighborhoods.

Number three: The council members sponsoring the bill should recuse themselves as they are realtors and could have a conflict of interest.

Number Four: Developers are the ones originally behind the NEST bill. Enough said. They are just out for more money. Not affordable housing. Just housing. 

Number Five: Plenty of areas already available to build as it is that are not yet built out. example or of Woodbine, Charlotte Park, Madison, many parts of East Nashville. What makes these other areas more attractive? This fact that they are in higher priced neighborhoods where home values are already higher and the lots would fetch a higher price and thus the homes built there would fetch a higher price because of location, location, location!

I expect to be jumped on, but the truth is the truth. This is done for the greedy developers and real estate agents by developer and real estate agents. There will be no affordable housing as that is just a buzz word to get it through council as we all know affordable cannot be mandated and there will be no rules to speak of to protect what happens with these homes as far as price point.

I agree with many of your points. I don’t necessarily think this will make things more affordable. I know, in my own neighborhood….I think what would happen is that the remaining little 50s ranch houses would be gobbled up (for probably 500 to 600k…at least). Those are the ones that can be knocked down.  Then, some high end condos would be built back. It IS about supply and demand. Nashville DOES have a housing affordability problem…I’m just not sure this is the fix. I will also take the criticisms for my position😬

Edited by Edgefield D
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Edgefield D said:

I agree with many of your points. I don’t necessarily think this will make things more affordable. I know, in my own neighborhood….I think what would happen is that the remaining little 50s ranch houses would be gobbled up (for probably 500 to 600k…at least). Those are the ones that can be knocked down.  Then, some high end condos would be built back. It IS about supply and demand. Nashville DOES have a housing affordability problem…I’m just not sure this is the fix. I will also take the criticisms for my position😬

This is meant to be a first step in fixing affordability, not a cure all. Increased supply is the only thing to cure the issue. Unless we want to make Nashville a worse place to live and crimp demand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

What does number 1 mean, adding more homes, or adding specific types of homes breaks up the "continuity" of the neighborhood?

Number 2, a quad plex in any neighborhood is going to be cheaper than a SFH in any neighborhood. 

• Like 1

I think the most common misconception is what actually is affordable housing, sure there’s greedy developers and realtors but that’s a smaller percentage than most people realize. It’s more about the market value and supply, that makes it seem less affordable. If your thinking affordable means a 2000 sq ft SFH in the city proper for less then 250,000 or a 1200 sq ft rent with amenities for less then 1000.00 per month that’s not going to happen, even with government assistance. Maybe some cheaply built section 8 apartments, but that’s really not desirable to anyone or should it be. Nashville’s explosive growth and rapid expansion has catapulted it into a new level that most here weren’t ready for. It’s now grown up and is a big gal now and it has blindsided most native or longtime residents. But compared to its peer cities, is still more affordable then most. It’s just that new status hasn’t had the proper time to sink in , it happened so quickly. My recent trip to the northeast was a reminder of how “affordable” the Nashville area is compared to other parts of the country. The population of all five major cities in Connecticut doesn’t equal that of Nashville proper, yet the housing is more expensive per square foot and taxes are 1000 times higher, my sister pays 10,000 dollars per year for property taxes on a 1200 sq ft home on a 1/4 acre lot . IMHO , Middle Tennessee has a lot of catching up to do to its peers , before people can start to complain about affordability 

• Like 4

West Meade, Creive Hall, parts of Green Hills, parts of Bellevue have large wooded lots to name a few. These are established neighborhoods and I doubt you have driven many if any of these Craig. 
 If I were living in any of these neighborhoods the last thing I would want is a duplex, triplex, or other multi family type project in my neighborhood adding even more traffic into an already rural type traffic pattern.

As I said there are plenty of places already available to build in already that have not even been touched. Many of these homes are all that is left of the older housing stock that is left in Nashville. 
BTW I do think Jacob Cupin is a realtor as well. I like him, however there is a line in the council that you should not be a sponsor of a bill. I think the folks in the neighborhoods need to have a say and this is a referendum item and I will bet this is where it will be headed. It is not going to end well as this is a very controversial bill.

BTW your response to my Number 3 is absolutely ridiculous. Bring up the Justice center sounds like you’re one with the problem here. Council members need to be careful when they are realtors working with developers on bills to build more homes. That smacks as collusion in some people’s minds. Realtors sell homes for developers. Someone may just bring that up in the media if they put two and two together.

West Meade, Greens Hills, and some of these other hoods are not that walkable, they are just more desirable and that is my point, the developers want to build there and they can’t right now and they are masking a bill as something else to gain access for their means. This is not about the good of Nashville but about what is good for the developers and real estate broker’s pockets.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

IMG_9490.thumb.png.12d95997efd548faac3f261948813cd2.pngThis should erase any doubt, by definition ALL of METRO is fair game ! Hell all of the MSA is fair game IMO. Thats how urban density works, as I said above Nashville is in the big leagues now, the word rural shouldn’t even be used until your more then 35 miles away. Large and densely populated by definition, who would have thought! Its time to change the way things have been done, and start building for the future.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

There are already so many duplexes, etc in all of those neighborhoods. The attached images of duplexes have been there since AT LEAST 2008.

It's not a style problem, because there are a million new extremely modern looking homes in Green Hills. 

So I don't understand the problem with any of this? Is it I got mine, so I don't want more housing built to drive down the cost of my home?

* Even these row of modern ones got sidewalks in front of them! Hot damn becoming more walkable. 

Duplexes.png

SuperModern.png

The problem is that this will be county wide. Some districts will not want this and I can understand this. It will change the character of some neighborhoods. What is good some is not always good for others. I do not know if you have ever driven most every nook and cranny of Davidson County, but I have.  The most rural parts of Joelton to Bellevue and Antioch to Madison. Mark drives them all the time too. The last thing Antioch wants is more density.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Agree to disagree on "neighborhood character", I suppose. 

People want cheaper housing, but some people don't want their neighborhood to change in the slightest, those are just two very divergent ideas. 

Sounds like nimby’s to me, they got theirs so nobody else deserves to have any. I have driven most of the nooks and crannies and there’s potential for development most everywhere. Topography shouldn’t be a concern, as I’ve seen some major projects along the mountain ranges of the Rockies. It’s amazing what engineering and modern machinery can do, it’s the general mindset that is the problem.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

(I know that can be said about a lot of neighborhoods, but there are also no plans to improve some of the roads, which is a big gripe for locals).

Improvement wise, how do taxes work for infrastructure the farther you are from the core or the USD. I believe it takes city significantly longer to upgrade those areas because of the lower tax collection? Doesn’t it also end up  costing the city way more to maintain everything out there than the taxes they take in?

I posted a study from a similar sized city awhile ago but I’ll be damned if I can find it now  it discussed this point.  

*Im butchering what I’m trying to say I hope I’m getting my point across. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Improvement wise, how do taxes work for infrastructure the farther you are from the core or the USD. I believe it takes city significantly longer to upgrade those areas because of the lower tax collection? Doesn’t it also end up  costing the city way more to maintain everything out there than the taxes they take in?

I posted a study from a similar sized city awhile ago but I’ll be damned if I can find it now  it discussed this point.  

*Im butchering what I’m trying to say I hope I’m getting my point across. 

Some of these areas were added to the USD 40 years ago. The infrastructure cost was probably not so great then. 

It's also why I say they should split the USD. It doesn't make sense to provide the same level of services in the edge neighborhoods as you do in the core neighborhoods. 

• Like 2