Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

22 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Unrelated, but are Sanford and Melbourne airports still calling themselves "Orlando"??

13 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Unrelated, but are Sanford and Melbourne airports still calling themselves "Orlando"??

Yeppers. Still confusing tourists regularly.

Because Seminole is part of the Orlando MSA, GOAA can’t do much about it. But they’ve been tussling with Melbourne since Brevard isn’t. I don’t think they’re even in the CSA.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

At least Sanford is “Sanford Orlando International Airport,” unlike “Orlando Melbourne International.” Putting “Sanford” first at the very least gives the impression that Orlando is secondary and not the primary city served.

Orlando Melbourne on the other hand is just a shameless, pathetic money grab and hoodwinking of a group of people who most likely otherwise wouldn’t step foot in that part of the state. 

• Like 3

They are both shameless, pathetic money grabs IMO. Sanford doesn't get a pass just because it places the Orlando moniker after it's namesake.  For towns that pride themselves on not being "Orlando", they sure love to greedily cash in on Orlando's popularity by using misleading marketing practices.

Maybe MCO should start calling itself the Orlando-Sanford-Melbourne-Kissimmee-Greater Orlando airport now? :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Also if they all belonged to GOAA jurisdiction it wouldn’t be a big deal

Funny how none of the airports in "Greater" Orlando are actually under GOAA control. Maybe one day they'll get ahold of Sanford and just annex the land to the City of Orlando. 

If all 3 airports were connected by a comprehensive transportation system and governed by GOAA then they can work together as opposed against each other. Sanford-Orlando has tracks connecting to the Sunrail system. Orlando-Melbourne would need a Sunrail station built in St Cloud in a future expansion, then have an express bus service via 192 connect the airport to Sunrail.  I wouldn’t hold my breath! 

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, shardoon said:

Quite a few OBJ articles recently talking about nonstop flights to Japan and China and how aggressive Orlando is pursuing them. 

Interesting. I’d think flights to Japan would make a lot more sense than flights to mainland China, plus it’s going to be tough getting a US carrier to sign up for another China flight so you’d be stuck trying to lure in a Chinese carrier.  

Judging demand from ticket prices this would make sense as well. You can often fly MCO-PEK for <$600, I’ve seen as low as $300. Flights to NRT/HND are generally $1k+ and not usually ever less than $800. 

On 12/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, spenser1058 said:

Yeah.  Melbourne spent a lot of money at their airport recently.  Seminole has a modernization plan in the works, but it's not as much money as Melbourne has spent.  I saw for several years how the terminal at OSI looked worn out, but I figured that airlines liked it b/c it was cheap and for the location.  So, Melbourne must have given UTI a sweeter deal.  I don't know.  The beaches, cruises, and KSC, and only another 30 minutes added to a road trip to get to Disney (compared to OSI)?  Maybe...

• 2 weeks later...

The Sentinel looks at MCO as it passes 50 million. Most notable: the growth of Frontier locally including a training facility and maintenance hangar.

It also notes the dip the airport saw in the fall was largely due to the demise of Thomas Cook, which had as many as 16 Orlando flights/week.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-orlando-airport-50-million-20191225-ik7r7ftnqzhl3maf2eqeh4ey5i-story.html

• Like 1

So, I flew out of O'Hare's International Terminal (T5) today for MCO.  As nice as that facility looks from the outside, the entire airside is covered with worn down carpeting.  Very disappointing.  The United and American Airlines sides are of course nice with terrazzo and skylight canopies- the AA section retrofitted the 1963 airsides with canopies quite nicely.

At MCO, the Airsides 1 and 3 saw that renovation which gave them the granite central hallway floors and some additional skylights.  But, where each airside wing joins with the central part of the airside where the restrooms are, I swear the ceiling height may not be more than 7'.  WTF?  Are there short people at GOAA that didn't think this needed to be fixed?

Anyway, MCO is fixing the TSA area on the east side and that is a huge update.  Terminal C will be stellar.  Airsides 2 & 4 are fine.  But I still think they need to still improve those parts of Airsides 1 & 3 I stated above.

Oh, GOAA got creative in it's marketing and Disney has wraps for Star Wars around the AGT tunnels on Airside 1.  Pretty clever; I never thought of that.  Great idea at least on the old side since the newer side is all glass, which is awesome. 

• Like 3

On 12/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, jrs2 said:

So, I flew out of O'Hare's International Terminal (T5) today for MCO.  As nice as that facility looks from the outside, the entire airside is covered with worn down carpeting.  Very disappointing.  The United and American Airlines sides are of course nice with terrazzo and skylight canopies- the AA section retrofitted the 1963 airsides with canopies quite nicely.

At MCO, the Airsides 1 and 3 saw that renovation which gave them the granite central hallway floors and some additional skylights.  But, where each airside wing joins with the central part of the airside where the restrooms are, I swear the ceiling height may not be more than 7'.  WTF?  Are there short people at GOAA that didn't think this needed to be fixed?

Anyway, MCO is fixing the TSA area on the east side and that is a huge update.  Terminal C will be stellar.  Airsides 2 & 4 are fine.  But I still think they need to still improve those parts of Airsides 1 & 3 I stated above.

Oh, GOAA got creative in it's marketing and Disney has wraps for Star Wars around the AGT tunnels on Airside 1.  Pretty clever; I never thought of that.  Great idea at least on the old side since the newer side is all glass, which is awesome. 

The current terminal and airsides were ~20-years out of date the day they opened.

Everything done since is just lipstick on a pig.

Edited by Camillo Sitte