SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

To further illustrate the problems book stores are having not just here, but nationwide... Joseph-Beth has now filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Additionally, stores in Nashville and Cleveland will close as well.

It seems like Asheville wasn't hit that hard, then. Barnes & Noble opened up a new store here, and relocated to the Asheville Mall with a very large, 2 level store. However, I assume Charlotte didn't get hit hard, either, since a similar Barnes & Noble opened at Morrison Place a few years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Steven, it seems conventional things are blowing away with the wind. I grew up with telephones where the # and * buttons were for future use and all phones had cords, and of course as a teenager you had to buy the vinal LP or cassetts. Yes, that was quite an advancement to move from 8-tracks to cassetts.

Things are moving so fast now, I just can't keep up with it. Anyway my parents still have a lot of classic LPs, so I am buying them an LP combo 5 disc CD player so they can listen to thier old LP's and then listen to more current CD music.

Gosh, I guess we will be flying around on starships before too long lol! :silly:

^I realized the other day how long it had been since I'd heard a dial tone, as I've had a cell phone only since early 2008, and of course no dial tones on cell phones....it's the little things sometime...I do think that by traditional books and other media going online a part of our culture is slowly fading away...I wonder how long before Barnes & Nobles start going the way of Blockbuster

There is investor pressure on Barnes & Noble to dump a lot of its prime real estate and reduce the footprint of the company. The question becomes, however, what's the company worth if it doesn't have any prominent stores, and moreover, are the so-called prime locations really going to be worth anything if every major category of retail goes online?

But back on topic: there needs to be a little more diversity in retail options in SouthPark mall. I'd like to see more compatible non-clothing retail in the mix, especially in the paces of some of the no-name apparel "space fillers" that are currently packing out the Macy's wing. Times are tight, and bless them for filling space in a down economy, but there's nobody shopping at Pink & Green or Body Central and the like. Even on Black Friday they were empty.

There is investor pressure on Barnes & Noble to dump a lot of its prime real estate and reduce the footprint of the company. The question becomes, however, what's the company worth if it doesn't have any prominent stores, and moreover, are the so-called prime locations really going to be worth anything if every major category of retail goes online?

But back on topic: there needs to be a little more diversity in retail options in SouthPark mall. I'd like to see more compatible non-clothing retail in the mix, especially in the paces of some of the no-name apparel "space fillers" that are currently packing out the Macy's wing. Times are tight, and bless them for filling space in a down economy, but there's nobody shopping at Pink & Green or Body Central and the like. Even on Black Friday they were empty.

The Internet is both a blessing and a curse. I personally only shop online for stuff I can't get at a brick and mortar store. I guess I am old fashioned. When the economy recovers, I have no doubt Southpark will land some big name stores to replace some of the fillers. At least they have been able to keep it relatively occupied during this economy. Many malls across the country are struggling with vacancies.

What's on the fourth floor of Belk? I have only been up there once, but all I remember is that there are kid's clothing and a salon. I am guessing that they have Lingerie, as well, since it's not on the third floor. There's got to be more up there.

Edited by ct36

What's on the fourth floor of Belk? I have only been up there once, but all I remember that was there is kids and a salon. I am guessing that they have Lingerie, as well, since it's not on the third floor. There's got to be more up there.

The majority of Level 4 is domestics, lingerie and children's wear. There is also a Today's Woman (plus sizes) department, a salon and an optical store. Back in the day, there was a furniture department, but it was gone well before I started shopping there.

Belk SouthPark:

Level 1 (parking garage level) - China, Housewares, Artur's Restaurant and Wine Shop, Men's Wearhouse & Tux

Level 2 (mall level) - Cosmetics, Fragrances, Handbags, Accessories, Jewelry, Men's, Dilworth Coffee House

Level 3 - Misses Apparel, Petites, Women's Shoes, Juniors, Furs

Level 4 - Domestics, Today's Woman, Lingerie, Sleepwear, Children's, Optical

Edited by StevenRocks

• 2 weeks later...

A friend that works at Neiman told me froma reliable source that the top 2 most wanted stores by the Charlotte market is Gucci and H&M....if only they could find room for them....I think they need to either close Juicy Couture or move it and put Gucci there. I think that would fit extremely well. Also, there were rumors that Forever 21 would open. I wonder what happened with that. And, has anyone been to Cowfish yet? That is the dumbest name of a restaurant ive ever heard.

No Forever 21 at SouthPark yet. But I can't imagine it'll be too long before they get one.

NO! Forever 21 would be one of SouthPark's lowest end stores if they opened. It's cheaper than JCPenney. H&M is a little better IMO, but didn't we already establish that SouthPark wouldn't get an H&M a few pages back? Gucci wouldn't be bad. Very good actually, and I could definitely see that at SouthPark. The Mall at Millenia has an XXI, but (Millenia) seems to have a wider variety of stores than SouthPark.

Edited by ct36

I really don't see H&M at SouthPark still because they tend to open larger stores these days. Forever 21 is a possibility because they're more flexible about the size store they'll open. Do I have either on my wish list? Um, no, not at all. Do I think either store is more upscale than the other. Nope. They're pretty much the same crap. H&M does have more designer cred, but it's because it's a larger company and has more exposure in major metro markets like New York.

Hmmm Lenox Square is getting a Forever 21, I don't see why it would be too "downscale" for SouthPark

Well upscale can be in different ways. For instance, Lenox has more of a trendy upscale, but SouthPark has a more elegant upscale. That's why Forever 21 would fit better at Lenox. That's why Miss Sixty, FCUK, etc. are at Lenox but not at SouthPark.

Hmmm Lenox Square is getting a Forever 21, I don't see why it would be too "downscale" for SouthPark

Well actually it will be a XXI in the rear wing next to where Plaza Court is, the entire second level will be gutted taking in not only the Restoration Hardware space, but Ann Taylor, Steve Madden, Motherhood Maternity (I think it's called Destination now) and the two level Dass Salon & Spa. The elevator and escalators will have to be repositioned to make room for this bohemoth. And Crate & Barrel will be moving next door to the Shops Around Lenox, and many fear ( I don't care) that the two level space will be filled by H & M.

Now back to Southpark, I think classy and elegant is indeed a good phrase for the mall, and yes Lenox is upscale trendy, and just recently has aquired some upscale luxury tenants that normally one would think would be found in Phipps Plaza such as Bvlgari, Fendi, Herve Leger, Ermenegildo Zegna, and Prada. So Lenox is trendy but classy but luxurious and will burn a hole in your wallet.:yahoo:

Well actually it will be a XXI in the rear wing next to where Plaza Court is, the entire second level will be gutted taking in not only the Restoration Hardware space, but Ann Taylor, Steve Madden, Motherhood Maternity (I think it's called Destination now) and the two level Dass Salon & Spa. The elevator and escalators will have to be repositioned to make room for this bohemoth. And Crate & Barrel will be moving next door to the Shops Around Lenox, and many fear ( I don't care) that the two level space will be filled by H & M.

Now back to Southpark, I think classy and elegant is indeed a good phrase for the mall, and yes Lenox is upscale trendy, and just recently has aquired some upscale luxury tenants that normally one would think would be found in Phipps Plaza such as Bvlgari, Fendi, Herve Leger, Ermenegildo Zegna, and Prada. So Lenox is trendy but classy but luxurious and will burn a hole in your wallet.:yahoo:

It's definitely going to be big! I think that it's great that Lenox is becoming very balanced between the two.