Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

post-26482-0-45388700-1348516937_thumb.j

According to the OBJ, Valencia College’s Chicone Building in downtown Orlando is now available for someone to buy/lease the space. I'd like to see the upper levels converted into loft-like apartments similar to the China Glass warehouse on Colonial Dr (also for sale if you haven't seen the China Glass interior).

If done right, people would pay a premium to live in a historic loft with genuine architecture :drools:

Edited by LDG

post-26482-0-45388700-1348516937_thumb.j

According to the OBJ, Valencia College’s Chicone Building in downtown Orlando is now available for someone to buy/lease the space. I'd like to see the upper levels converted into loft-like apartments similar to the China Glass warehouse on Colonial Dr (also for sale if you haven't seen the China Glass interior).

If done right, people would pay a premium to live in a historic loft with genuine architecture :drools:

Funny. I often pass that building and imagine an anchor retail location in a future where retail downtown will thrive. Imagine mannequins overlooking the streets from the first and second floors and a glass stairway in one of the window sets. I've seen Zara successfully integrate older facades with their minimalist interiors in historic buildings in Rome and Madrid. In the meantime, however, I don't think retail would do well there--- Thoughts?

This has nothing to do with your post, but I noticed your location and was curious... Where is "the real Downtown Orlando"? It's always interesting to hear different interpretations as people try to pinpoint downtown's boundaries, etc.

My definition is Colonial to the North, Summerlin to the East, South St to the South and I4 to the West. When people say they live downtown and I've asked "Oh, where"? I've had people respond with areas such as Conway and Florida Mall area--just a pet peeve. Even worse I think is how one defines Winter Park.

• Like 1

Interesting. Some people only consider the central business district as downtown, and everything else as "near downtown". But I personally think areas with CBD zip codes to be considered the real downtown (i.e. 32801, 32802 residential/commercial).

The CRA/DDB maps are useful, but they only show the areas of focus meant for each group. I think the city's actual definition of downtown is a little larger than that. Wikipedia defines the boundaries of d/t Orlando as "East Marks St in the north, Mills Ave in the east, Orange Blossom Trail (US Hwy 441) in the west, and Kaley Ave in the south" and notes that "There are 18 neighborhoods in downtown Orlando located in five major enclaves." I think this might be a closer definition of what is generally considered as "downtown" to most people.

Edited by LDG

Just posted a entry on OrlandoNarrative. Bit of a different approach, seems like Orlando is really ramping up these past few months (I expect even more come early 2013 but even at the current rate we're seeing at least one major development a month :shok: which is amazing when compared to just 12 months ago) and I wanted a way to touch on many of the different issues.

Along with some summaries of a few articles that I think are relevant to the current conversation happening in Orlando, that amazing French TV commentary on Los Angles that Urbanophile uncovered this week I also gave a brief summary of some the conversation on here and that other :yawn: urban growth message board. I referenced a few different boards within the Orlando topic and the discussions happening on them. I know that while most of us love this board and keep up with it hourly (or is that just me, thank you RSS) but for the average individual I've been told that these boards can be a bit overwhelming so hopefully this will help. Plus the occasional summary would at least help me see the big picture within this board that lately has seen it's fair share of activity.

Let me know what you guys think.

• 2 weeks later...

Demo in old Antigua continues. Looks like this project is a go? Last I heard, klstorey posted a blog entry indicating it might be an Irish sports bar. Barley House:

http://orlandonarrat...nt-goodbye.html

Pic:

Photo%20Oct%2004%2C%207%2032%2010%20PM.jpg

Yes it was originally going to be an Irish bar and they wanted to massively redo the space to return it to its old brick look. The city said no since it was turned into one of the remaining art deco spots in the city and they wouldn't allow it to go back to a brick look. Since Irish wouldn't fit the look it will be Mexican themed now. Guy owns Frank & Steins as well. I know he had a signed lease that he couldn't get out of when the city rejected the initial plan so guess he is going through with it now.

Yes it was originally going to be an Irish bar and they wanted to massively redo the space to return it to its old brick look. The city said no since it was turned into one of the remaining art deco spots in the city and they wouldn't allow it to go back to a brick look. Since Irish wouldn't fit the look it will be Mexican themed now. Guy owns Frank & Steins as well. I know he had a signed lease that he couldn't get out of when the city rejected the initial plan so guess he is going through with it now.

What is art deco about the Antigua space? It always looked like some sort of latin-themed space to me with the rooftops and all. It's not exactly Kress.

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 1

What are the other 2 projects at Post Parkside besides World of Beer?

Also, from an earlier mentioning of the Post Parkside redevelopment--- Instead of cutting north into the park, does anyone know if they could instead build a terrace east and adjacenet to the round about and to the channel? That area is prime for outdoor dining and wouldn't appear to encroach into the park as much as taking over the green north of the building.

What is art deco about the Antigua space? It always looked like some sort of latin-themed space to me with the rooftops and all. It's not exactly Kress.

The rejection mentioned the black tile facade being important. I'm disappointed that they wouldn't make an Irish restaurant work in that space ... Was looking forward to it. That said, I hope it is more Southwestern US Mexican, not Florida "Mexican". As someone who grew up in Los Angeles, I'm continually disappointed by Florida Mexican restaurants. San Jose's over on the west side pretty much nails it, though.

• Like 1

What are the other 2 projects at Post Parkside besides World of Beer?

First one to open will be The Hyppo which will be the first gourmet popsicle shop in Orlando. They have a store in St. Augustine currently and as you can see, people love it. It really is an amazing product so very exciting to have it locally. This is going in the old Slate modeling space.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/294/1530970/restaurant/Downtown-St-Augustine/The-Hyppo-St-Augustine

WOB is going to be the next to open. They are going to have the patio on the side where the current brick roundabout is. That road will be torn up and some of it claimed along with the grass right there to make the patio.

The last tenant going into the old Eola Wine space is some sort of salad and wrap type concept. Don't know too much right now because they won't be open till next year.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

First one to open will be The Hyppo which will be the first gourmet popsicle shop in Orlando. They have a store in St. Augustine currently and as you can see, people love it. It really is an amazing product so very exciting to have it locally. This is going in the old Slate modeling space.

http://www.urbanspoo...po-St-Augustine

WOB is going to be the next to open. They are going to have the patio on the side where the current brick roundabout is. That road will be torn up and some of it claimed along with the grass right there to make the patio.

The last tenant going into the old Eola Wine space is some sort of salad and wrap type concept. Don't know too much right now because they won't be open till next year.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

Thanks for that update, DowntownRetail! I'm looking forward to all the new development in this area. Especially the addition of a terrace to that area. I think it really has the potential to transform that area. I'm also looking forward to any restaurant/retail concepts that may occupy the former AltaModa Salon on Central.

Edited by Captain.Metro

Thanks for that update, DowntownRetail! I'm looking forward to all the new development in this area. Especially the addition of a terrace to that area. I think it really has the potential to transform that area. I'm also looking forward to any restaurant/retail concepts that may occupy the former AltaModa Salon on Central.

Yeah that area looks like it will start drawing a lot more folks to that side of Lake Eola beyond just the farmer market on Sunday. The AltaModa spot will remain a salon as far as I know. There are quite a few people looking at it and they don't want to change its use at all.

Very impressed at this turnaround since when I lived at Post in 08-09.

And this is all BEFORE the LYMMO starts carrying workers in the CBD down Central every 10 minutes making a South Eola/Thornton Park trip on a lunch break a comfortable reality.

Future is extremely bright.

• Like 1

http://www.urbanspoo...po-St-Augustine

I'm looking forward to the grand opening. At first I was a little skeptical about a popsicle shop especially since "gourmet" seems to be a term thrown around pretty loosely these days (e.g. Jimmy John's). But after reading the reviews and visiting their FB page, I suddenly had a popsicle craving. Their website (http://thehyppo.com/kitchen.html) could use some work, but I love the fact that they try to source fresh and local ingredients. Will they offer a different menu for the winter? And I'm a little surprised (but thankful) that Dr Phillips wasn't the default location of choice.

Edited by LDG