Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

If you're a fan of The Rockford Files, Joan Van Ark did three episodes. 

One with Paul Michael Glaser who went on to play Starsky in Starsky and Hutch.

She shows up only once in this little "Women of The Rockford Files" video, though. Starting at 1:30 to 1:37.

That's her in the video thumbnail too, btw.

6a0133f3b4d1c3970b0192aafafe91970d-600wi

204aec9d6b901bc749f168a52f1d4056--the-ro

MV5BYTQ0ODY3NjQtNDg2MC00OTJkLTg2MjQtNGI1

Now you know. :thumbsup: 

great, great, post.  wow.

So I've been watching Rockford on...I think FreeVee on an Echo Spot I have- it's an Alexa with a small screen.  I've seen a lot of episodes from the first few seasons.  I did see Joan Van Ark on that one episode where she was like a real estate agent or posed as one when she and Jim were BSing their way into someone's house to get info about someone (specific, right?).  I saw Lindsey Wagner too.  I also saw some other leading ladies that I can't recall at the moment that weren't in that video that I recognized.

I have two words for you, JFW657...

Dennis

Becker

boom!

Omg...Becker, Angel, oh man, what awesome characters and acting.

What about the guy that hires Jim to be his proxy at an antique auction?  That guy with the distinctive voice...I know who it is but it's my easter egg so I won't say more; you probably already know...

25 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

great, great, post.  wow.

So I've been watching Rockford on...I think FreeVee on an Echo Spot I have- it's an Alexa with a small screen.  I've seen a lot of episodes from the first few seasons.  I did see Joan Van Ark on that one episode where she was like a real estate agent or posed as one when she and Jim were BSing their way into someone's house to get info about someone (specific, right?).  I saw Lindsey Wagner too.  I also saw some other leading ladies that I can't recall at the moment that weren't in that video that I recognized.

I have two words for you, JFW657...

Dennis

Becker

boom!

Omg...Becker, Angel, oh man, what awesome characters and acting.

What about the guy that hires Jim to be his proxy at an antique auction?  That guy with the distinctive voice...I know who it is but it's my easter egg so I won't say more; you probably already know...

That episode was just on last night or the night before. His last name is Daniels. He did another Rockford episode in which he played a District Attorney who subpoenaed Rockford for a Grand Jury over an error made by a mob figure's receptionist. When Rockford couldn't answer his questions, he assumed Rockford was lying, so he jailed him on contempt. While in jail, Rockford was stabbed in the gut with a sharpened spoon handle.

The JVA episode where they were doing the real estate shtick was just on, too.

If you like that show, you can watch two back to back episodes 7 nights per week on GetTV.

From 7 to 8 and 8 to 9.

https://www.get.tv/

Screenshot-20220720-203451.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 1:33 PM, spenser1058 said:

The important thing to remember is that we have a grid downtown and there are multiple ways to get where you need to go. It’s quite different from the cul-de-sacs in the ‘burbs that all open on to one main racetrack.

You're not wrong... but how often are you exiting downtown during evenings?  There really often isn't multiple ways to go depending on your starting point and how backed up traffic is and what roads are blocked off (which I support).   Getting to SoDo at 10PM from downtown on a Friday when Orange is closed and there's an event at DPAC and Amway and the one-way of Pine is backed up to Rosalind... Basically the only option is going down Robinson to Summerlin.

(To be clear, will still be perfectly viable on a road diet.  And I'm one of the few people here that are pro-one way streets.  But it can make getting home troublesome at best.  I'm able-bodied so I tend to just walk to rosalind and have an uber pick me up and drive around the park, but most people don't do that).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

You're not wrong... but how often are you exiting downtown during evenings?  There really often isn't multiple ways to go depending on your starting point and how backed up traffic is and what roads are blocked off (which I support).   Getting to SoDo at 10PM from downtown on a Friday when Orange is closed and there's an event at DPAC and Amway and the one-way of Pine is backed up to Rosalind... Basically the only option is going down Robinson to Summerlin.

(To be clear, will still be perfectly viable on a road diet.  And I'm one of the few people here that are pro-one way streets.  But it can make getting home troublesome at best.  I'm able-bodied so I tend to just walk to rosalind and have an uber pick me up and drive around the park, but most people don't do that).

Going n/s you’re right (thanks to the E/W expressway and the mess made of Delaney/Rosalind when the Southern Gateway and OSCAR were conceived).. Fortunately, going e/w, there are a lot of options. I always chuckle at the traffic nightmare that is Colonial Drive (west of Maguire, of course) because only someone in from the ‘burbs would ever get caught in that mess.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

That episode was just on last night or the night before. His last name is Daniels. He did another Rockford episode in which he played a District Attorney who subpoenaed Rockford for a Grand Jury over an error made by a mob figure's receptionist. When Rockford couldn't answer his questions, he assumed Rockford was lying, so he jailed him on contempt. While in jail, Rockford was stabbed in the gut with a sharpened spoon handle.

The JVA episode where they were doing the real estate shtick was just on, too.

If you like that show, you can watch two back to back episodes 7 nights per week on GetTV.

From 7 to 8 and 8 to 9.

https://www.get.tv/

Screenshot-20220720-203451.jpg

Daniels' voice, aka:

knightride_qz193kqk.gif

knight-rider-kitt.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

He did St. Elsewhere and Knight Rider at the same time (both on NBC).

Btw, @HankStrongwill no doubt enjoy this POV of the “T” on the pilot episode of Spenser: For Hire. It might be fair to say, at least in the ‘80’s, Boston’s rail system may have been one of the most filmed in the country.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spenser+for+hire+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b24118b5,vid:j41_sCAuQiE,st:0

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Btw, @HankStrongwill no doubt enjoy this POV of the “T” on the pilot episode of Spenser: For Hire. It might be fair to say, at least in the ‘80’s, Boston’s rail system may have been one of the most filmed in the country.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spenser+for+hire+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b24118b5,vid:j41_sCAuQiE,st:0

So, this is what I got when I clicked on the link you posted....

Screenshot-20220722-114357.png

I assume you were trying to post this.....?

I

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To anyone interested, there will be a public meeting this Wednesday, July 27 at 5:30 pm regarding the Robinson Street corridor improvements.  It will be held at the First Unitarian Church of Orlando (1901 East Robinson St).  There will also be a webcast.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yes, I know this is  :offtopic: but it will return or on-topic like it always does.

But since @jrs2 and I  got onto the subject of The Rockford Files here's a link to a short clip I think he and some others might get a little chuckle out of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaSqrpUf18k

Darn! I figured as long as I mentioned a TRAIN, we’d be safe from the OCD folks….

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2022 at 4:55 PM, JFW657 said:

Yes, I know this is  :offtopic: but it will return or on-topic like it always does.

But since @jrs2 and I  got onto the subject of The Rockford Files here's a link to a short clip I think he and some others might get a little chuckle out of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaSqrpUf18k

can you believe it?  Viacom blocked the video...

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Okay, rather than going the YouTube route, I'll just upload it directly like I should have done to begin with.  

It worked! It was fun in the early to mid-70’s how many plugs  Disney got added to popular series to remind folks there was now a park in Florida 

My favorite was when Edith began menopause on All In the Family and Archie gave her “30 minutes” to get through it so they could leave for WDW.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Okay, rather than going the YouTube route, I'll just upload it directly like I should have done to begin with.  

I remember that scene; the Orlando reference; I was stunned when I heard it.  The wise guy in the golf cart, his nephew they refer to I believe was the actor that played on Eddie Capra Mysteries or something like that.  Jim was between a rock(ford) and a hard place when he was getting grilled about what David told him; that scene made ME nervous just watching it.  Great writing and acting.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, neoanderz said:

To anyone interested, there will be a public meeting this Wednesday, July 27 at 5:30 pm regarding the Robinson Street corridor improvements.  It will be held at the First Unitarian Church of Orlando (1901 East Robinson St).  There will also be a webcast.

this would probably have something to do with the improvements to Lake Eola Park along that corridor I was told about from one of the park rangers; I think they want to build a wall (uh, oh...is Buddy in cahoots with He who shall rename nameless?).

they did something similar at UF over the past 20 years or so.  brick and concrete along University with concrete "capstones" or whatever; very Ivy League looking...they even integrated concrete bus stop benches and molded them into the wall-work structure.  I was impressed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

this would probably have something to do with the improvements to Lake Eola Park along that corridor I was told about from one of the park rangers; I think they want to build a wall (uh, oh...is Buddy in cahoots with He who shall rename nameless?).

they did something similar at UF over the past 20 years or so.  brick and concrete along University with concrete "capstones" or whatever; very Ivy League looking...they even integrated concrete bus stop benches and molded them into the wall-work structure.  I was impressed.

Actually, it’s regarding changes to Robinson Street from Garland to Maguire that I posted about last week, including the proposed road diet.