Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I don't understand people. I guess have been to enough OOCEA luncheons to know that the tolls are the reason we have these roads. Look at DOT funded roads, like I-4 for example. See how long it takes I-4 to improve? Look at the 408. Look how quickly they have begun to widen the 408. It seems like the interchange project between the 408 and I-4 has been done only on the 408 side thus far, though I may be wrong on that one. Point is, these roads don't have to wait years for funding. If they need improvements, the money is there and we should be thankful. No tolls=I-4. I'll stick with the tolls thanks.

didn't the OOCEA also fund the SR 551/Heintzleman Rd. extension?

I agree with you. the cards we've been dealt in ORL are these and we need to plan new roads according to what we can do $$$ wise. Good thing the TNPK Authority is also funding some of these roads as well, not to mention the TNPK widening project which is underway in ORange Co.

• 3 weeks later...

the I-4 408 interchange is coming along--- lots of pylons being built. we should start seeing some overpasses being assembled in a few months.

also, the I-4 192 interchange is looking sweet. night and day. it used to be the first interchange people saw coming in from Polk Co. THen came the World Drive/417 combo exit. then, they made 532 into an exit at Championsgate. Now, 192, the lone overpass liability of ORL is being redone to look sweet. After that, the 429 ramp will open near US 27, which has also been redone.

the I-4 408 interchange is coming along--- lots of pylons being built. we should start seeing some overpasses being assembled in a few months.

also, the I-4 192 interchange is looking sweet. night and day. it used to be the first interchange people saw coming in from Polk Co. THen came the World Drive/417 combo exit. then, they made 532 into an exit at Championsgate. Now, 192, the lone overpass liability of ORL is being redone to look sweet. After that, the 429 ramp will open near US 27, which has also been redone.

Those pilons downtown are already making quite and impression, I think the whole interchange will really change the look of downtown.

I have a question, how come the 417/Turnpike Interchange has never been built? In the beginning they said it wouldn't have the traffic counts necessary but surely now......(I think it had something to do with the Osceola Parkway opening at the same time 'the strangest road ever built' and not wanting to lose out on tolls if people took the 417 to the attractions area)......then the 429 gets built with this HUGE interchange with the Turnpike and now the 408 expands its interchange with the Turnpike.

I also thought that the JYP overpasses would be wide enough to accomodate another lane on I-4. I don't understand, the I-4 bottlenecks have always been at Lee Rd. to the north and JYP to the south. All that would have to be done is add a lane at Lee Rd and a lane at JYP and that would open up those bottlenecks and there could be pretty much a consistent 8 land I-4 from Maitland to the Turnpike. ???????????????????

I also thought that the JYP overpasses would be wide enough to accomodate another lane on I-4. I don't understand, the I-4 bottlenecks have always been at Lee Rd. to the north and JYP to the south. All that would have to be done is add a lane at Lee Rd and a lane at JYP and that would open up those bottlenecks and there could be pretty much a consistent 8 land I-4 from Maitland to the Turnpike. ???????????????????

The JYP/I4 bridge was discussed earlier, I was hoping that it would be expanded to 4 lanes each way later... but it doesn't look like it's possible. How could they spend so many millions on that project and leave it 3 lanes??? :wacko:

Anybody seen I-4 going thru Ybor City now? It's looking pretty nice.

The JYP/I4 bridge was discussed earlier, I was hoping that it would be expanded to 4 lanes each way later... but it doesn't look like it's possible. How could they spend so many millions on that project and leave it 3 lanes??? :wacko:

It is the opinion of some that pressure will be relieved from JYP, moreso than I-4.

JYP is, technically expandable, but I'm thinking they didn't alot for its widening now b/c they don't know what the final buildout of I-4 will look like at that portion, or, in the alternative, Tallahassee and Dist. 5 are a bunch of morons.

they should've made it 8 lanes-- so easy-- then I-4 at 8 lanes would've cut off at the TNPK. morons.

JYP is, technically expandable, but I'm thinking they didn't alot for its widening now b/c they don't know what the final buildout of I-4 will look like at that portion, or, in the alternative, Tallahassee and Dist. 5 are a bunch of morons.

they should've made it 8 lanes-- so easy-- then I-4 at 8 lanes would've cut off at the TNPK. morons.

Driving around town, it is apparent that our leaders build for the present rather than the future. I took the 417 from Sanford down to 528 yesterday and it couldnt be more apparent.

If you guys have ever been to any of the Texas cities, you will see what building for the future means. Granted they have lots of open space, but it still takes some ounce of thinking to develop that space into a solid transportation network.

Driving around town, it is apparent that our leaders build for the present rather than the future. I took the 417 from Sanford down to 528 yesterday and it couldnt be more apparent.

More like built for 5 years ago! I'm not one to advocate for ever expanding roads nor do I think we're ever going to build our way out of congestion, but why build multimillion dollar bridges that are basically already obsolete?

More like built for 5 years ago! I'm not one to advocate for ever expanding roads nor do I think we're ever going to build our way out of congestion, but why build multimillion dollar bridges that are basically already obsolete?

JYP in ONE gripe I personally have.

My other gripe is 408. Why expand the eastern side of 408 to 8 lanes, with noise walls, and only expand the western segment to 6 lanes with noise walls too close to alot for future widening to 8 lanes? it's so F**ked up-- grnated , 408 in West ORL is waaay better than it used to be, but why limit themselves?

JYP in ONE gripe I personally have.

My other gripe is 408. Why expand the eastern side of 408 to 8 lanes, with noise walls, and only expand the western segment to 6 lanes with noise walls too close to alot for future widening to 8 lanes? it's so F**ked up-- grnated , 408 in West ORL is waaay better than it used to be, but why limit themselves?

They probably do not expect 408 to be as heavily used on the west as it is on the east. 408 is really the only way to get to anything on the east part of town (with the exception of 528 and OIA), but the west has 408 and I-4. I don't know. I've always lived out west and the 408 just doesn't seem to see the amount of traffic on the westside as the eastside.

They probably do not expect 408 to be as heavily used on the west as it is on the east. 408 is really the only way to get to anything on the east part of town (with the exception of 528 and OIA), but the west has 408 and I-4. I don't know. I've always lived out west and the 408 just doesn't seem to see the amount of traffic on the westside as the eastside.

The 408 westside traffic is increasing dramatically, and when the widening is done it will probably explode. Think of all the growth in Clermont and the opening of the 429 and all the development that will and already is happening. It (408) should have been 8 laned on the west side and 10 laned on the east side. The sound walls make it look like this will be the final widening project of the road. Can you imagine if we got some major employers downtown all of a sudden? What if a big HQ moves in with 10,000 employees? And can't we expect something like that to happen at any time with Orlando becoming hot on the growth scene? I guess rapid transit will have to happen.....................and who knows, maybe with all the growth we will get more progressive residents and leaders, seems to be happening a bit now... :yahoo:

The 408 westside traffic is increasing dramatically, and when the widening is done it will probably explode. Think of all the growth in Clermont and the opening of the 429 and all the development that will and already is happening. It (408) should have been 8 laned on the west side and 10 laned on the east side. The sound walls make it look like this will be the final widening project of the road. Can you imagine if we got some major employers downtown all of a sudden? What if a big HQ moves in with 10,000 employees? And can't we expect something like that to happen at any time with Orlando becoming hot on the growth scene? I guess rapid transit will have to happen.....................and who knows, maybe with all the growth we will get more progressive residents and leaders, seems to be happening a bit now... :yahoo:

That should be the hope. City/County/Regional planners have to look for alternatives to highway construction/widening. If Orlando is really to grow, then growth aught to be focused more on the urban core rather than the outerlying suburbs. The development along 429 is sure to cause increased traffic on the westside, but widening the 408 to 8 lanes seems a bit unecessary at this junction. I think I'd rather see some sort of light-rail along the east/west corridor before I see a 8-10 lane 408 expressway. But, who knows... right?

That should be the hope. City/County/Regional planners have to look for alternatives to highway construction/widening. If Orlando is really to grow, then growth aught to be focused more on the urban core rather than the outerlying suburbs. The development along 429 is sure to cause increased traffic on the westside, but widening the 408 to 8 lanes seems a bit unecessary at this junction. I think I'd rather see some sort of light-rail along the east/west corridor before I see a 8-10 lane 408 expressway. But, who knows... right?

I wonder if the OOCEA ever considered a train in the median since they already own the easement?

Thats one reason why we dont have a major business downtown is because of the messed up roads

• 2 weeks later...

Well we're getting there with the UCF creative village and Dynetech. Who knows what will follow.

Hopefully if the number of jobs increase dramatically downtown, downtown living will become even more popular due to the clogged roadways for one, but mainly because (hopefully) downtown is (will) be an exciting place to live!

I hopped on the Lymmo the other day, and I believe it has a lot of potential to bring together the greater downtown area. Once we get Orlando City Place (Holds breath), Verde, and Sky Towers(yeah we'll see), the Lymmo could expand it's route and make downtown Orlando huge. All I'm saying is if they could get the Lymmo to go from the proposed Publix at Lake Eola to the Verde in the north, I'd be one happy downtowner.

I hopped on the Lymmo the other day, and I believe it has a lot of potential to bring together the greater downtown area. Once we get Orlando City Place (Holds breath), Verde, and Sky Towers(yeah we'll see), the Lymmo could expand it's route and make downtown Orlando huge. All I'm saying is if they could get the Lymmo to go from the proposed Publix at Lake Eola to the Verde in the north, I'd be one happy downtowner.

Current plans call for a Lymmo style circulator to go through Uptown along Ivanhoe and circle around by Florida Hospital and the Museum / Loch Haven Park area. The southern extension would make its way towards Orlando Regional. East West Circulator would go to the Citrus Bowl and it is either proposed to go to TP or all the way out to Bumby. That part I don't remember.

Current plans call for a Lymmo style circulator to go through Uptown along Ivanhoe and circle around by Florida Hospital and the Museum / Loch Haven Park area. The southern extension would make its way towards Orlando Regional. East West Circulator would go to the Citrus Bowl and it is either proposed to go to TP or all the way out to Bumby. That part I don't remember.

Awesome. Are there any proposed dates on this plan?

• 3 weeks later...