The Bad News Report

tozmervo

1 minute ago, kermit said:

Seriously? The NBA is a private business, the league owns the ASG and they have every right to put the game in a location that does not give them PR headaches. Their actions are perfectly rational and reasonable. 

Agree that they have every right to move the game.  Disagree that their actions are perfectly rational and reasonable.  They agreed to the game prior to the Charlotte ordinance, the Charlotte ordinance expanded access and protection for the LGBT community, the State essentially preempted that ordinance (over Charlotte's objections) and the NBA is punishing Charlotte.  They have a right but it's not inarguably rational and reasonable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

Seriously? The NBA is a private business, the league owns the ASG and they have every right to put the game in a location that does not give them PR headaches. Their actions are perfectly rational and reasonable. 

Amen! Pretty sure whatever potential HQ relations to the Charlotte were happening, ended tonight. Again, skeleton buildings. 

3 minutes ago, abttown said:

If there is a positive here, maybe this gets the attention of the younger generations in the state to actually cast a vote.  May this be McCrory's death knell, along with all the other blockheads in Raleigh.

Because this is the only issue worth voting on...

In my opinion, I can't find a single justifiable reason to support either presidential candidate.  One is a megalomaniac, fascist, race baiting moron with no demonstrated qualifications for the office.  The other is a corrupt, classless, craven, shrill and incompetent bureaucrat.  

Regarding the folks in Raleigh, I recall Beverly Perdue and Mike Easley having a lot of issues of their own.  They are all in it for the power and the money and this quaint notion that the Republicans or Democrats are the answers to our problems is ridiculous.  If you can watch the conventions and believe that these folks are competent and care about constituents you are seeing something that I am completely missing... 

7 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Amen! Pretty sure whatever potential HQ relations to the Charlotte were happening, ended tonight. Again, skeleton buildings. 

Want to bet?  Seriously...if we have empty buildings and no relocations in the next 6 months I'll gladly pay up.  Deal?  You name the amount...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mpretori said:

make it three just in time to get Roy in there and try to repair Pat's catastrophic damage in November. 

I'm probably being an ass and if so I apologize.  That said, Roy will need the GA to send him a bill to fix this.  And there are good things that have occurred under Pat's watch (and I have to believe that he has done some of these idiotic things at the urging/insistence of Pope).  My point is that the sky is not falling, Charlotte will get past this and remain a vibrant and growing city.  And Roy will do some things, if elected, that will definitely not be in the best interest of residents or businesses.  

^ and that [the Chinese false equivalence] is relevant to this situation how?

The NBA is acting to avoid a PR nightmare, it has nothing to gain by inflicting that pain upon itself. The average american has no idea about the Charlotte ordinance, they just see North Carolinians as bigoted bumpkins. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ and that [the Chinese false equivalence] is relevant to this situation how?

The NBA is acting to avoid a PR nightmare, it has nothing to gain by inflicting that pain upon itself. The average american has no idea about the Charlotte ordinance, they just see North Carolinians as bigoted bumpkins. 

On this we agree.  However, based on the (mostly embarrassingly ignorant) comments following stories covering the NBA's decision, there are A LOT of people who actually are condemning this move and support the law.  Recent polls indicate 32% of North Carolinians support (43 oppose)...that's a landslide in an election but not an insignificant number of people who are now mad at the NBA.  I suspect that NBA fans might be more inclined to support the law based on cultural and demographic impacts on their views.  It has more to do with sponsors than fans...

Edited by JBS

And there are good things that have occurred under Pat's watch (and I have to believe that he has done some of these idiotic things at the urging/insistence of Pope).

Are you referring to the I-77 Toll debacle?  BTW, who died and left Art Pope in charge in the first place?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dale said:

Yes, again hypocrisy is duly-noted. *chortles*

The NBA's only goal is to maximize profits. Their is zero hypocrisy in their actions from their point of view (and that is the only perspective that matters when discussing the ASG location)

Edited by kermit

I have just seen CBS anchor Scott Pelly reporting the ASG pulling out of Charlotte.  Once again the city is being punished because of this crazy law.  I have an idea.  Instead of punishing Charlotte for progressive thinking, conventions, concerts and whatever event is coming to all other cities in the state decide to move there event to Charlotte.  Anyone scheduling anything that is supposed to go to all other cities in NC move the event to Charlotte.  Then claim they will not use any other city except Charlotte.  Let this be the wake up call to all the other cities in the state and help get this bill stopped.  I know this would never happen.  but other cities in NC need to feel this pain and join with Charlotte.  I am so pissed at McCrorey.  I am retiring next week and plan to move back to Charlotte, the city I love.  I lived and worked there for 20 years.  I have lived in Nashville for 13 years and it's time to leave this Tennessee island of progressives in a sea of red counties.   Please NC, get rid of this idiotic law.

• Like 2

Here is a typical example of what the remainder of the nation thinks of Charlotte (the RedEye is a newspaper that is published by Tribune Corp). Since Charlotte gets painted with the same brush as NC, the NBA has no choice but to run away.

Edited by kermit