The Bad News Report

tozmervo

The latest. Take what you will from it. 

Adam Silver: @NBA recognizes decision on #AllStarGame needs to be made quickly. We are disappointed #ncga didn't act to change #HB2 @wsoctv

#BreakingNews: @NBA commissioner says they are not prepared to make a decision on #AllStarGame & whether it will be held in #Clt. @wsoctv

Pretty much this means they'll keep delaying this issue and eventually they will come out with a statement saying "we are disappointed the ncga has not made the changes but it is too late to move the game and a portion of the revenue will go to lgbt efforts." There is no way you can logistically move an event like this in this short of a time span... They are not even moving the olympics from Brazil when there are way more serious issues going on down there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, saamh said:

Pretty much this means they'll keep delaying this issue and eventually they will come out with a statement saying "we are disappointed the ncga has not made the changes but it is too late to move the game and a portion of the revenue will go to lgbt efforts." There is no way you can logistically move an event like this in this short of a time span... They are not even moving the olympics from Brazil when there are way more serious issues going on down there.

100% correct. They're going to hope it keeps quieting down (it is and will) and then when the time is right they will say something like that. Disappointed in NC, we stand by Charlotte, too late to move, taking every course of action to ensure all people are treated equal, etc etc, corporate bs, corporate bs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

It's also worth noting that the NBA's decision to award the All-Star game to Charlotte was tethered to the City's agreement to invest millions in arena upgrades.  That underlying deal creates a meaningful threat of litigation if the NBA elects to move the game for an unrelated reason such as HB2.

Contracts trump Public Relations

• Like 1

To be clear, the city never had a contract with the league that said you need X to have this facility ready to host an NBA All Star Game. The contract the city has states that the arena simply needs to meet NBA standards, which is basically keeping up with the other teams in the league. The league just suggested in the past that if Charlotte wants to host the ASG they will need to make upgrades to make it a viable host. There was never a guarantee that Charlotte would get the game if they made upgrades.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HopHead said:

To be clear, the city never had a contract with the league that said you need X to have this facility ready to host an NBA All Star Game. The contract the city has states that the arena simply needs to meet NBA standards, which is basically keeping up with the other teams in the league. The league just suggested in the past that if Charlotte wants to host the ASG they will need to make upgrades to make it a viable host. There was never a guarantee that Charlotte would get the game if they made upgrades.

Thanks for the clarification.  

13 hours ago, saamh said:

This is exactly what I took away from that article in the CO. It's posturing for the eventual announcement that says what you are saying.

I was living in San Diego at the time but it seemed clear that George Shinn had so pissed people off that they would never have supported the team if he remained the owner.  I think the NBA thought so much of Charlotte as a market that they were immediately awarded with an expansion franchise (once the new arena was finally approved).  Ask Seattle if that's typical.  And, the mayor at the time was supportive of the new arena if I recall.  You're joking but not a comparable situation in any way.  

In this case, I think keeping the game might be worse for Charlotte.  If there is no change in law, it will be mentioned ad nauseam throughout the all-star weekend... 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mpretori said:

IMO: Adam is pissed and it's pretty evident. I think the game gets moved and further repercussions for Charlotte from the NBA. 

What else can they do?  I don't think that they are taking or moving Michael Jordan's franchise.  Do they then move the Spurs, Rockets and Mavs when Texas passes a similar law?  I'm 100% certain that the worst case scenario is moving the ASG...curious what else you have in mind?

Albany just punished their kids by canceling a trip to Durham in the fall to play Duke, supposedly due to this law.  This is probably the only chance those kids had to play a powerhouse on national TV, not to mention robbing them from a trip to an historic arena.  Once in a lifetime opportunity for those kids gone, not because of the law but because of a bunch of political pandering.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ah59396 said:

What happened the last time Charlotte and NC called the NBA's bluff?

The New Orleans Hornets

Who was the mayor at the time...?  I can't recall....

The answer to the question is the NBA solved our Shinn problem by kicking him out and replacing his team with a new one.

Edited by jednc

On 7/13/2016 at 6:18 AM, hinsp0 said:

It's also worth noting that the NBA's decision to award the All-Star game to Charlotte was tethered to the City's agreement to invest millions in arena upgrades.  That underlying deal creates a meaningful threat of litigation if the NBA elects to move the game for an unrelated reason such as HB2.

The newest way to get out of a contract and not lose face seems to just use HB2 as a reason. I believe PayPal used it. 

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

The newest way to get out of a contract and not lose face seems to just use HB2 as a reason. I believe PayPal used it. 

On the part of Paypal, they were on the RECEIVING end of government incentives that they would have had to pay back in they did not satisfy the terms of the incentive agreement.  Since they cancelled their move within weeks of announcing their intention to come to NC, I would assume that no government monies were paid out, thus no lost to Paypal.  Now in terms of any lease agreement with private land lords they more then likely had to pay a penalty.

15 hours ago, JBS said:

What else can they do?  I don't think that they are taking or moving Michael Jordan's franchise.  Do they then move the Spurs, Rockets and Mavs when Texas passes a similar law?  I'm 100% certain that the worst case scenario is moving the ASG...curious what else you have in mind?

Beyond moving the All Star game, if that's what the NBA decides to do, there is nothing else they can do. They can't force a franchise to move because of some law they don't agree with. If that were the case, you'd see a lot of problems with other franchises. Keep in mind that the NBA views the ASG (weekend) as a showcase event for the league. It's separate from a franchise whom is operated by individuals or groups of investors. The Hornets have no financial gains from being a host, just the city of Charlotte does (via hotels, restaurants, etc). Besides, the NBA and Jordan have spent too much time and money rejuvenating the Hornets franchise. It's way too big of stretch to worry about anything else with the Hornets at this point and time. 

• Like 2

I am beyond shocked and livid... Bunch of backwards people from obscure parts of the state dictating matters in a city that's trying to be a world class city... Vote all of the NCGA out of office (sorry if I offend anyone but I'm beyond angry right now that this event is being taken from Charlotte)

9 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Hope they do. Hate the NBA anyway!

Keep it real, deep down inside you are very envious of Charlotte. 

Hoping they take away an event that would be a success to the city because you do not like it.......hating at its finest. 

• Like 3