MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

• Orlando is considered safer, easier to navigate, and more family-friendly than Miami.

Honestly I don't think MLS is looking for family-friendly at all.  I hope it comes and think you have good points, but this situation could be a big problem.

Edited by aent

Anyone think there's a chance that Orlando goes through with building a new soccer-specific stadium, and then Miami gets the next MLS team, thanks to Becks?  And if that were to happen, it'd be great for Orlando City, but that'd be quite a bit of money "wasted".  Not to mention, now there's one less tenant in the Citrus Bowl.  The whole thing kind of makes me upset.

As for the hispanic population, by far the MLS team with the best attendance numbers is Seattle.

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/usa.1/major-league-soccer?cc=5901

Seattle's hispanic population is 6.6% according to Wikipedia, compared with Orlando at just over 25%.

I just hope Orlando doesn't build a brand new stadium and then get the shaft from MLS.  Perhaps that parcel of land would be better used a few years down the road for a new baseball stadium for the Rays.  

Anyone think there's a chance that Orlando goes through with building a new soccer-specific stadium, and then Miami gets the next MLS team, thanks to Becks?  And if that were to happen, it'd be great for Orlando City, but that'd be quite a bit of money "wasted".  Not to mention, now there's one less tenant in the Citrus Bowl.  The whole thing kind of makes me upset.

As for the hispanic population, by far the MLS team with the best attendance numbers is Seattle.

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/usa.1/major-league-soccer?cc=5901

Seattle's hispanic population is 6.6% according to Wikipedia, compared with Orlando at just over 25%.

I just hope Orlando doesn't build a brand new stadium and then get the shaft from MLS.  Perhaps that parcel of land would be better used a few years down the road for a new baseball stadium for the Rays.

That wouldn't happen. MLS will grant us a team with a stadium plan approved...not fully built. We would have the team already announced before the thing even broke ground.

Yeah Miami isn't that close, but that's not the issue. The issue is most Miami sports teams fail to draw crowds (unless they get someone named Lebron), and we don't want that giving the wrong impression of Orlando. Plus why does Miami need a FIFTH pro sport team when we have one?? Sure Orlando and Tampa share a fanbase but Orlando itself only has ONE pro team. The Magic and our minor league teams draw bigger crowds than the Marlins nowadays, and they just got the nicest stadium in the league last season. I don't see Miami really jumping into the picture anytime soon, and I believe Orlando City SC's ownership along with the city and county will get this thing done.

It might not be a major platform for their expansion, but don't underestimate the "start 'em young" mentality of soccer clubs -- both for fans and future players.

MLS has a model aimed more towards the college age fans and people in there 20's and 30's. They are the people who help form the supporter groups which fuels the team and its fans. You're right though, they have a huge investment in youth teams and promos to get kids to the game. Orlando City has youth teams and plans on building soccer fields in Parramore for local kids.

MLS has a model aimed more towards the college age fans and people in there 20's and 30's. They are the people who help form the supporter groups which fuels the team and its fans. You're right though, they have a huge investment in youth teams and promos to get kids to the game. Orlando City has youth teams and plans on building soccer fields in Parramore for local kids.

Yeah, you are totally right. Soccer is not exactly family friendly as the chants from those supporter groups are laced with profanity. I still see kids at the games though. The Philadelphia Union actually addressed their support groups and told them to tone it down so they could attract more families who were upset with the language.

Yeah, you are totally right. Soccer is not exactly family friendly as the chants from those supporter groups are laced with profanity. I still see kids at the games though. The Philadelphia Union actually addressed their support groups and told them to tone it down so they could attract more families who were upset with the language.

Soccer will always be driven by the supporter groups, and the supporter groups will always have chants with some profanity. Not every chant is like that though, and there are PLENTY of sections at every single game that people can sit away from the supporter groups, and that is anywhere out of the end zone.

Building the stadium in phases makes a ton of sense. First of all if they got it started now, Orlando City would have a place to play next season while the Citrus Bowl is being rebuilt. They could start with the Basics, sideline's and supporters sections behind one of the nets. They could leave the other end open for more seats and that tower feature they want to build, and leave the space for the upper decks when they expand into MLS. Its actually a pretty common practice among soccer stadiums, in Europe a lot of there stadiums started as basically a minor league team with a small stadium that they expanded overtime as they got promoted. Glad Buddy and Jacobs are actually working to get this done.

I don't like the idea of scaling back plans to cover all the stands with a  roof, especially the supporters section, of all places. Bad idea.

I thought the entire stadium was always planned to have covered seating for all sections.

Building it in phases is an idea on the table because we don't have the money.

We're competing with:

1. "Miami"

2. two potential existing stadiums

3. David Beckham with his $25 million franchise fee & billionaire investor friend

VS

1. Orlando

2. no existing venues, only land

3. an expected franchise fee of no less than $40 million and construction costs of building a new stadium

Seems like we should be trying to work something out with Beckham instead.

Edited by nite owℓ

It was, but now they're toying with the notion of scaling back some of the plans to cover the entire seating section.

Gotcha...I just read that wrong. Wow, that is a terrible idea, and I hope they do not consider it. Orlando of all places needs covered seating!! Shade is crucial since this league plays in the summer. There is no point to building a stadium that does not give the fans as least this layer of comfort.