Independence Corridor

underoak

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Someone remind me the story behind the unused bus lanes in the middle of Independence? I don't think I've ever seen a vehicles on them, surely they could get put to some use?

The Hawthorne Lane bridge support is right in the middle of the lanes so they’re no longer usable. 
Streetview

FD4257CA-64ED-4B26-9019-A3C2705DFEEB.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Thanks. Not sure why that means the whole thing is unusable though. What a waste.

That's the only entrance/exit point. 

The bus lanes are to be replaced by express lanes though, but there's currently no funding or timeline for the project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TCLT said:

That's the only entrance/exit point. 

The bus lanes are to be replaced by express lanes though, but there's currently no funding or timeline for the project.

Makes sense. That is what I was thinking: an express lane concept where traffic is only going one direction at a time.

Edited by Desert Power

36 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

Knowing CATS, I doubt they have had much conversation with NCDOT. 

During all of the public meetings CATS has held about the silver line the project manager does say they are coordinating with NCDOT. Also, the project materials posted by NCDOT for the U-6103 and U-2509 projects do show the Silver Line corridor (this preliminary design map for example). All that being said, I'm optimistic that there is at least enough coordination going on that means no major reconstruction of anything done with Independence Blvd would be needed if the Silver Line ever actually gets built.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TCLT said:

That was quick. The boards are already up. I can’t tell if they’re digital screens but they kinda look like they are? I’m sure there’s someone on here that can recognize the screen model on sight and say for sure. Also, does anyone know what those white things are on each corner? Security cameras? Something else?

And I don’t love this building but also don’t hate it. It’s stupid, but at least these developers are trying to put something with an amenity on independence. It could’ve just been a stand alone billboard so even a really poorly thought out concept is better than that. 

02604EC7-6427-4E39-964D-4E086894B541.jpeg

F7F4D617-8FE2-4B50-84DD-10142C9C5309.jpeg

E01614B9-E24F-4A8C-BFC0-63E355A20525.jpeg

499C6226-5DD8-4D81-B16D-DE93C8E8D66F.jpeg

What exactly is this?  Is it a violation of the sign ordinance?

5 minutes ago, RANYC said:

The new building going up next to the Ervin tower. Those boards are massive and pretty close to the ground so it’ll definitely attract attention.

3 hours ago, RANYC said:

After some digging, it looks like the sign ordinance for "outdoor advertising signs" (chapter13.11) permits electronic billboards with a maximum area of 380 square feet, but a permit is still required. The most recent permits filed show two electronic signs with an area of about 1,070 square feet each. Those permits do not appear to be fully approved. Those permit details are different from the plans used for the rezoning approval which show a very different building and attached signage. The reference rezoning petition is 2019-052. However, the revised site plan in the most recent approved plans do show what is currently being built. I would assume this means they got approval to deviate from the sign ordinance. But then there is a very interesting permit hold note related to signage on the project record (edit: this hold was created on June 8, 2023).

Approved Sign.png

Revised Sign.png

Permit Hold.png

APPROVED-LDUR-2022-00020.pdf

Edited by TCLT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, nicholas said:

I'm not saying giant billboards won't be distracting to some degree, but "about as bad of a distraction as you could have"...?  Have you not witnessed any Charlotte drivers FaceTiming family/friends who are probably also driving?  Or the iPads that have taken over the dashboard of most modern cars?  Barring something unusually provocative, I doubt whatever ends up on the billboards will warrant more than a quick glance away from the in-car distractions consuming so many people these days.

I guess I meant about as bad of an external distraction as you could have.  Obviously the things Charlotte drivers are doing behind the wheel are more dangerous but the city or DOT can't fix that quite as easily.

• Like 2