Independence Corridor

underoak

On 6/24/2023 at 10:50 AM, KJHburg said:

Down in Matthews on Independence this little strip center has multiple businesses attracting an international crowd including this South African food shop (and they ship products all over the country.)   There is an empanadas place, Asian food mart, European cleaners (not sure what that is or how it is different) all at Matthews Mint Hill Rd and 74.  

Had to pick up some gifts for my South African friends so this little place is your local source for Biltong and rusks.  They make their own Biltong the South African way and had to get special permission to do it. 

20230623_113844 (1).jpg

Looking at the images on Google Maps, it looks like they've recently expanded from one strip-mall space to THREE overtaking the J. Jones Jewelers and the Oriental Massage. They must be doing pretty well

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lit said:

Looking at the images on Google Maps, it looks like they've recently expanded from one strip-mall space to THREE overtaking the J. Jones Jewelers and the Oriental Massage. They must be doing pretty well

they have 3 shop spaces the South Africa Food shop as they run a nationwide mail order business out of there.   My South African friend loved the rusks I got him as they are hard to come by in stores you usually have to order them online. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Firejudyrose said:

Update on the Ervin Building, looks like it's in the punchlist stage. Giant billboard is incredibly distracting.

Anybody know if something cool is planned for the top floor? 

Also, giant Hugos are still next door though it does appear one has lost its stinger ☹️

DJI_0585.JPG

DJI_0587.JPG

DJI_0593.JPG

DJI_0596.JPG

DJI_0592.JPG

The flag pole is a nice touch. I would say I'd like to have one of those Hugos, but they're almost as long as that dumpster and I'm guessing it's a 20-footer(?)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Firejudyrose said:

Update on the Ervin Building, looks like it's in the punchlist stage. Giant billboard is incredibly distracting.

Anybody know if something cool is planned for the top floor? 

Also, giant Hugos are still next door though it does appear one has lost its stinger ☹️

DJI_0585.JPG

DJI_0587.JPG

DJI_0593.JPG

DJI_0596.JPG

DJI_0592.JPG

a shrinking tree canopy, boulevard-adjacent billboards...yes, growth looks great

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

In an ideal world feels like we could just throw a heavy rail metro line down the Independence Corridor and then not have to worry about express lanes and all that. But we do not live in an ideal world.

How are the express busses doing these days?  Filled up?  .... next best thing

15 hours ago, lit said:

If I lived near there I would be unhappy too.  Not necessarily because of the development, but more so regarding the time frames on the road improvements.  The first units are projected to deliver sometime in 2025, but the improvements to the surrounding roads aren't even supposed to start until 2028.  Sounds a little backwards to me.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, go_vertical said:

If I lived near there I would be unhappy too.  Not necessarily because of the development, but more so regarding the time frames on the road improvements.  The first units are projected to deliver sometime in 2025, but the improvements to the surrounding roads aren't even supposed to start until 2028.  Sounds a little backwards to me.

yes, size and timing matter.

https://www.wbtv.com/2023/12/19/police-1-dies-after-van-crashes-east-charlotte/

This crash had inbound Independence crawling for most of the day yesterday. A work van collided with the right leg of the gigantic overhead highway signs across the street from Walmart. The passenger didn't make it, and neither did the sign. The humongous sign is currently resting up against the wall inside the Bus Lanes.

Edited by lit
  • Sad 3

• 2 months later...