Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

On my way home from work yesterday I noticed some heavy equipment on site at the FUMCO. Today I noticed that there is construction fencing up all the way around the building and it looks like it has already been torn up on the inside.

Is this thing getting ready to be torn down for the re-routing of South Street in anticipation of the construction of the performing arts center? Does anyone have any info?

• 2 weeks later...

Demolition photo of FUMCO: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-churchd...0,1601177.photo

Why do I have a sinking feeling that what is being demoed is going to be replaced by nothing but a empty space for years to come?

As a resident of the neighborhood I have that fear as well.

Hopefully someone can clarify this for me. The FUMCO building is being torn down so a new FUMCO building can be created to offset the loss of land bounded by Magnolia & Rosalind on the east & west, and South to the north, correct?

They aren't tearing this down because the PAC will be there are they?

As a resident of the neighborhood I have that fear as well.

Hopefully someone can clarify this for me. The FUMCO building is being torn down so a new FUMCO building can be created to offset the loss of land bounded by Magnolia & Rosalind on the east & west, and South to the north, correct?

They aren't tearing this down because the PAC will be there are they?

From everything I've read, FUMCO will be expanded on the south side of the church. To accommodate this South Street will bend around it, bulging to the South. It's all part of the DPAC deal. The curvature of South street into the the DPAC block is part of the DPAC plans that have been out and public for several years now. DPAC is delayed but they continue detailed design work so they can move fast when the economy improves.

So while DPAC waits, 1) old FUMCO building comes down, 2) south street gets realigned, 3) new FUMCO expansion goes in, 4) new fire station #1 gets built, 5) old fire station #1 comes down. When the economy gets back on track DPAC will have plans and a lot of the site work will be complete.

I'm not too sophisticated. I would have thought the building to be torn down was the one south of South, not the north of South building. Seems to me that it's like tearing down the old Civic Center, now UCF, to do renovations to the O-Rena parking lot.

Edited by Boomer136

I'm not too sophisticated. I would have thought the building to be torn down was the one south of South, not the north of South building. Seems to me that it's like tearing down the old Civic Center, now UCF, to do renovations to the O-Rena parking lot.

Re read what I said. The building being torn down is like you assumed on the south side of south street, to make room for the street itself to be moved further south, to make room for the new building south of the church (on the north side of realigned south street).

Re read what I said. The building being torn down is like you assumed on the south side of south street, to make room for the street itself to be moved further south, to make room for the new building south of the church (on the north side of realigned south street).

From what I saw on TV, it actually is the building north of South. It looked to me like the building they're tearing down is the one on your right hand side as you cross Rosalind on South St.

Also, the guy mentioned that they were tearing that building down to get ready to start building the new one for the church.

From what I saw on TV, it actually is the building north of South. It looked to me like the building they're tearing down is the one on your right hand side as you cross Rosalind on South St.

Also, the guy mentioned that they were tearing that building down to get ready to start building the new one for the church.

That could be, but the one on the south side is also slated to come down. South Street is supposed to bulge into the DPAC block to make additional room for the new building.

I'm totally confused. I know the bldg on the dpac site is coming down for sure. the South St. realingment will go roughly where it now stands. I assumed the b'dg already on the north side would be annexed by the new construction...

The building on the north side (circa 1971 but oddly designed with very narrow spaces - probably in order to facilitate the gym and meeting/kitchen facilities it had) is being torn down to make way for the new building made possible from the money they're getting from letting DPAC tear down the newly remodeled building on the south side of South Street (hmmmm - hard to imagine anyone's confused by that sentence :dontknow: ).

Demolition photo of FUMCO: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-churchd...0,1601177.photo

Why do I have a sinking feeling that what is being demoed is going to be replaced by nothing but a empty space for years to come?

The building on the north side (circa 1971 but oddly designed with very narrow spaces - probably in order to facilitate the gym and meeting/kitchen facilities it had) is being torn down to make way for the new building made possible from the money they're getting from letting DPAC tear down the newly remodeled building on the south side of South Street (hmmmm - hard to imagine anyone's confused by that sentence :dontknow: ).

Thank you spenser. This section of downtown is about to have a major face-lift... nice to see some attention is being given to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I really hate that they've torn down a classic structure for what, at least in the renderings, appears to be a rather uninspired modern addition. Too bad downtown has lost yet another historic structure.

It's really not historic- it only dates back to 1971. Although I have long made a case for saving our postwar architecture, the Wesley Building was never much more than functional. If the sanctuary (1961) and the adjoining steeple or chapel were to be razed, I'd be standing in front of the bulldozers.

I will say that it's interesting they went with a modern design on the latest replacement. When FUMCO decided to replace its sanctuary in the late '50's, they insisted on something that "looked like a church;" i.e., traditional architecture. When one sees the monstrosity College Park Methodist built not long after, one appreciates that wisdom.

In any event, I have long been fascinated by how they managed to take a traditional church design, and with use of the white marble and other materials as well as the separation of the steeple and chapel from the sanctuary plus liberal use of windows, created a stunning result that manages to be conservative but yet fits perfectly in a Florida setting. That it was accomplished around 1960 is all the more amazing. Red Star can also be very proud of the unusual placement of the pipe organ, and I look forward to the final results of that work as well.

from the City Planning folks:

http://cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplan...PB%20Report.pdf

see Page 3.

To paraphrase in song: "I love this board."

Thanks spenser1058. Not only is it interesting from the stand point of one interested in the development of my fair city, but also supplies the faintest appreciation of what professionals must deal with to get anything out of the ground here.

A spontaneous raise of the rum filled glass to you who deal with tree points, tree wells, and impervious surface ratios.

As far as the design though, I must say it looks very much like my beloved Lutheran Church I attended in the late '70's in Michigan.