Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

I should have clarified -- I was eluding to polycentric density as it relates to an urban environment where there exists the ability to get around car-free in nodes but between them the urban, pedestrian density breaks down. LA is a good example of this, but most of these others cities are not.

Thanks for the clarification.

I read an interesting New York Times article the other day concerning the New Jersey Performing Arts Center which had me thinking about DPAC, in it the director said something that stuck out to me (highlighted below)..... I hope Kathy Ramsberger, head of DPAC, is taking note.

New Jersey Arts Center Sets Real Estate Venture

Performing arts centers typically present performances, not develop real estate.

But the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark is stepping up its involvement in real estate by putting its founding president and chief executive, Lawrence P. Goldman, at the helm of its newly created NJPAC Development Corporation, the center announced on Friday.

“The arts centers that are going to be successful in the next decade or two are the ones that diversify their revenues,” Mr. Goldman said in an interview. “The basic economic model of presentations, tickets sales and fund-raising is beginning to break down.”

There's more.....

One would hope that Kathy Ramsberger isn't relying on news paper articles to keep educated.

• 3 weeks later...

Performing arts center bids under review

ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Continuing the momentum provided by the opening of the Amway Center, the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts is the next big project in the queue for the region.

Construction drawings for what developers of the project are calling stages 1 and 2 have been completed. Early bid packages for site preparation services were received in August, which have also been completed. Now, responses are in from 84 final construction bid packages which were released and are currently being reviewed.

A total of 363 bids were received, and after the initial evaluation, bidders are invited for interviews to discuss the scope of work and verify the bid details. Balfour Beatty Construction will then compile the bid values and present a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) proposal.

Read more about Performing arts center bids under review >>

Edited by DeepEyez

Performing Arts Center Could Create 3,000 Jobs

City Hopes To Break Ground In Spring 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Leaders in Orlando hope to break ground by early 2011 on the proposed Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center, which could bring 3,000 jobs to Central Florida.

The center would be built in the downtown area of Orlando near South Street and Magnolia Avenue.

City officials have tried for more than 20 years to build a successor to the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center.

"The idea of the plaza is community involvement," Balfour Beatty Construction spokesman Rob Baker said.

Groundbreaking could happen within the next three months. Phase 1 of construction would include two of the three planned theaters.

Read more about Performing Arts Center Could Create 3,000 Jobs here >>

Edited by DeepEyez

Hotel-tax collections still rising

Revenue from Orange County's hotel tax continued its year-over-year improvement in October, further indication of a possible recovery in the area's lodging industry.

The county reported Thursday that it collected nearly $13.2 million from its "tourist-development tax," a 17.4 percent increase from October 2009. That equates to roughly an additional $2 million for county coffers from the tax, which is levied on short-term rentals, mostly hotels and motels.

County Comptroller Martha Haynie expressed delight at the monthly improvement in collections.

"This is a great start for our fiscal year, and one which, I hope, heralds the start of a real recovery for our key industry and this important revenue," Haynie said.

Hotel-tax revenue has now exceeded last year's monthly totals for nine months in a row.

Hotel-tax collections still up (DPAC).....

Edited by DeepEyez

• 3 weeks later...

Project Update From The Dr. Phillips Center For The Performing Arts

December 20, 2010

Slated to be one of the region’s largest economic generator, the Dr. Phillips Center will support approximately 3,000 Orlando-area jobs, creating an economic impact of more than $315 million for Stage 1 alone. (CSL International) The total budget for the development of the full project is $383 million. The Dr. Phillips Center is on or below budget; however, full funding is not available today due to the delay in the Tourist Development Tax dollars. The project is next in line to receive this funding as it is contractually obligated through the Interlocal agreement with the City of Orlando and Orange County.

Stage 1 costs are estimated to be $280 million (land, 100% design, project management, construction costs and contingency). Currently, $250 million is available comprised of funding from philanthropy, the City of Orlando, Tourist Development Tax dollars ($10 million) and State of Florida. We have approached the County administration to guarantee $30 million of the remaining $120 million that has been committed to get the project started now. We are prepared to break ground immediately. The County is our partner and right now our focus is to work together to get this resolved.

As always, we are working hard to ensure the local community understands the impact of this project and why it is so important for us to build this Center now. As always, we appreciate your continued support.

http://www.drphillip...performing-arts

Edited by DeepEyez

If the project is on or below budget, they should have known that they were short funding right? Or am I looking at thuis the wrong way? I assumed the bids came back higher than they anticipated.

the tourist tax hasn't amounted to what was originally offered ($120 million offered, $10 million received) so they are asking for a promise that the county will come through regardless.

They should not have anticipated the TDT performing at this time.

Now that I think about it, when the bonds were issued last year, the City's CFO did say thay there was a shortfall that the CRA would have to make up. But that would not occur until after construction began. I do not remember how much exactly. So they did know.

They should not have anticipated the TDT performing at this time.

Now that I think about it, when the bonds were issued last year, the City's CFO did say thay there was a shortfall that the CRA would have to make up. But that would not occur until after construction began. I do not remember how much exactly. So they did know.

Wasn't the funding calculation including the TDT projected before the crash? My understanding was funding would have been fine had the recession not totally wiped out the TDT for 2 years.

With all of the money in the Orlando-Orange County community, I'm surprised Joe Lewis of Tavistock, Clarence Otis of Darden Restaurants and Harris Rosen of Rosen Hotels aren't leading the effort to fill the shortfall of DPAC. Hell the Orlando Magic got more sponsors and supporters for their new basketball center than I previously thought!! What does that tell you about the state of arts in this community???

I bet good money, had this been the Florida Citrus Bowl, it would of been built right now with the coming announcement of a NFL team relocating to Orlando!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Jacobs will not give Orlando what it needs to build Phase I -- what does this mean now?

Biz Journal

As much as I would love to see the DPAC started this year, I think the timing is definitely off to be asking for more funds. That being said, I think it would make a lot of locals and tourists more aware of all the theater offerings we have in our city. For example, my family just spent $300 on Wicked tickets for March. While I know a lot of Orlando natives like the Bob Carr and it's really all about the show, I'm a little turned off paying that much to see a musical in kind of a ho-hum venue. Just like the Amway Center, I think people would be more prone to spend that kind of money at a state-of-the-art theater. Call me shallow, but I know I would.

Mayor Teresa Jacobs right to be prudent

Orlando needs a new arts center, but Mayor Jacobs is right to be prudent about spending.

Like many in our community, we wish construction could soon begin on every one of the three extraordinary stages planned for the Dr. P. Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center.

Just like we wish the three venue projects that local officials approved in 2007 — the arts center, a renovation of the Florida Citrus Bowl and a new arena — could get done. Only the AmwayCenter, home to the Orlando Magic, is finished, while work has yet to begin on the other two.

But wishing won't make them happen. Not now; not in this economy. Nor should undue pressure or unworthy schemes cause them to happen.

We know — we've argued — how they would make metro Orlandothe state's premier arts, sports and entertainment destination. (It's already the third.) We anticipate the shot-in-the-arm they'd deliver. A completed arts center, alone, is forecast to stimulate more than $50 million a year in local spending and create more than 3,000 jobs.

Yet Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs was right this week to tamp down increasingly aggressive campaigns to build them that seem either financially unsound or patently unfair.

http://www.orlandose...,0,946088.story

Edited by DeepEyez

• 2 weeks later...