It's all about the bike

Looks like Detroit is making a push to be bike friendly...

http://www.freep.com/article/20100408/NEWS01/4080359/1318/Detroit-to-add-30-miles-of-bike-lanes

Detroit to put 30 miles of bicycle lanes on streets

Detroit is embarking on an ambitious plan to create bike lanes on roads across town, giving cyclists like Jon Koller designated space for riding as city leaders and community groups rethink street and land use in a shrinking city.

It's a big change. Although the city is starting with about 30 miles in a handful of neighborhoods this year, there eventually could be as many as 400 miles of bike lanes in Detroit.

"I think it's going to encourage more people to get out there and take biking as a serious form of transportation," said Koller, 25, who lives in the city's Corktown neighborhood and commutes by bike to Wayne State University, where he's a doctoral student in transportation engineering.

C415522448.JPG

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wondering how we would of fared if weather was factored. Probably better than Minneapolis ... or Fargo. :)

Are you saying our weather is worse than those places? We get a bit more snow, but we don't have nearly as many -40F windchill days as either of those places. The lake really warms the air a bit before it gets here.

EDIT: Oh, and there really are some cool things going on in Detroit. They have a lot of potential with all those wide streets and not a lot of people driving on them. It's a bad thing because it means there aren't as many people, but it really gives them a lot of ability to remake the streets to accommodate more forms of transportation than just single occupancy motor-vehicles.

Are you saying our weather is worse than those places? We get a bit more snow, but we don't have nearly as many -40F windchill days as either of those places. The lake really warms the air a bit before it gets here.

EDIT: Oh, and there really are some cool things going on in Detroit. They have a lot of potential with all those wide streets and not a lot of people driving on them. It's a bad thing because it means there aren't as many people, but it really gives them a lot of ability to remake the streets to accommodate more forms of transportation than just single occupancy motor-vehicles.

Just an FYI, interesting article.

Huffington Post - Obama's Bicycle Policy

Just an FYI, interesting article.

Huffington Post - Obama's Bicycle Policy

What's interesting is that the City of Portland, the "mecca" of cycling in the US along with a couple of other cities, has only spent about $60-65 million on their network of bicycles lanes and facilities over the past 15 years or so to get to the point where they are today, with an estimated 6-8% of trips by bicycle.

The fix on I-196 will cost $40 million in one shot to add a single lane (not even a through lane) for 1.5 miles, at most, and 3 new bridges.

Bicycling facilities are remarkably cheap in comparison to motor vehicle facilities (when they aren't shared, which often makes them even cheaper), and bicycles don't cause nearly the wear and tear. (Kent Trails held up for fifteen years before being resurfaced and in many places was still in good shape, but needed to be widened to be in line with current standards for non-motorized trails.)

One of the quotes from Andy Clarke at the Michigan Bicycle Summit that really stuck with me was in response to a question about what to say to people who say "We don't need bicycle facilities, because no one here rides a bicycle to get anywhere." He said (paraphrasing) to "Ask them how many cars went across the river before they built the bridge."

I also liked this article from the Christian New Service which tried to play up the opposition, but really, in my opinion, made Mr. LaHood look pretty good.

http://www.cnsnews.c...s/article/63290

This is my favorite quote and gave me a good laugh when I read it:

The moderator later asked: “Some conservative groups are wary of the livable communities program, saying it's an example of government intrusion into people's lives. How do you respond”

“About everything we do around here is government intrusion in people's lives,” said LaHood. “So have at it.”

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited about the new trail going in that begins at Oxford Street, West of Godfrey and goes over the Grand River just South of Wealthy. Going to be some nice views and a cool trail.

Here is a photo of the new trail bridge over Chestnut Street:

4490798691_2104788ccf.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/4490798691/sizes/l/in/set-72157623645846773/

More in the April 4 2010 set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/sets/72157623645846773/

~John

• 2 weeks later...

I recently received a used bicycle and rode out to Millennium Park today to see if they have started on the tunnel under Maynard Ave yet. They haven't ) :

Does anybody know when they plan on starting to build the tunnel?

Rode around the beach lake and took a few photos:

http://www.flickr.com/johne777

~John

Get the Fluoride out!

I haven't heard, but I will let you know if I do. I'm also looking forward to that connection being available.

A Facebook pal is raving over the bike lane-like striping on Lake Drive. Now that a certain obstructionist is retired out of Streets, perhaps signage and pavement markings will follow.

I am trying to recall the year(s) that Plainfield and E. Fulton were re-striped.

A Facebook pal is raving over the bike lane-like striping on Lake Drive. Now that a certain obstructionist is retired out of Streets, perhaps signage and pavement markings will follow.

So I wasn't dreaming...that is a bike lane marked out on Lake Drive! Who in City Hall (or elsewhere in Officialdom) can I thank for this?

So I wasn't dreaming...that is a bike lane marked out on Lake Drive! Who in City Hall (or elsewhere in Officialdom) can I thank for this?

I also discovered today (thanks to Chris Knape!) on Page 51 of the DDA meeting notes that 5' Bike Lanes are specifically noted in the Moore & Bruggink drawings to extend Seward from Fulton to Butterworth via Lexington. Just wish they would stripe the rest of Seward and put up some signs.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_upload/meeting/packets/77947b63e642dc8ce4b5a488ab134e24.pdf (25mb download)

• 2 weeks later...

Bikestock on July 17th. Something new?

http://calendar.diygr.org/?e=96

This is the second year (hence the "dos"). Last year it was held at Ah-Nab-Awen park.

Mustard Plug is the headlining band and a few other local bands with loyal followings, like Simien the Whale, are scheduled.

Specialized (the large bicycle manufacturer) was just confirmed today as one of the main sponsors. I'm very excited about the event.

I'm told there will be flyers around the bike corral at Festival with a larger publicity push coming in the next couple of weeks now that nearly all the sponsors are lined up. Also, watch for the billboard at Diamond and Wealthy soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Obama administration spends $1.2 billion on cycling and walking initiatives

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7834334/Obama-administration-spends-1.2-billion-on-cycling-and-walking-initiatives.html

Just so we are really clear here, it's the State DOTs and locals (through the metropolitan planning organizations in metro areas) who decide how federal transportation money will be spent (as long as it is an "eligible" project). They have to initiate the requests for funding, put those projects in their respective plans and transportation improvement programs, before US DOT will approve the expenditure of those funds. And btw, bicycle and pedestrian projects have been eligible for federal funding for decades, but now there is a groundswell of interest in using federal dollars for those projects. Even during the unenlightened Bush Era (oh, yeah, Mary Peters supported bike/ped projects when she was FHWA Administrator, but "changed" her mind when she became DOT Secretary), federal funds were used for bike/ped projects, either stand alone or as part of larger highway/transit projects.

And I grew up in GR (born in 1955). I never had a cavity. I wonder why...?

The Oxford Street Trail is coming along. More work done with the trails going up to the trail from Chestnut Street and they have paved from the Grand River bridge to Wealthy next to the Big Chipper.

See my photos of it along with other cool shots in the June 17 2010 set on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/sets/72157624073842291/

Best and Blessings in Christ Always,

~John

Prov. 3:5&6

The Oxford Street Trail is coming along. More work done with the trails going up to the trail from Chestnut Street and they have paved from the Grand River bridge to Wealthy next to the Big Chipper.

See my photos of it along with other cool shots in the June 17 2010 set on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.co...57624073842291/

Best and Blessings in Christ Always,

~John

Prov. 3:5&6

wow, I just went over to check this out yesterday, but I didn't have my phone with me. Probably only a couple more weeks before it's done unless they work at a snail's pace.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds about right. They are getting close to laying what I'm guessing will be cement at the bridge over Chestnut St. I would think within about a week or so.

4747419360_942dfb8b30_b.jpg

You can see there are definite erosion issues to be addressed.

South of this bridge, the asphault trail continues to the foot the bridge at Oxford St. They'll probably build a similar retaining wall system there.

That sounds about right. They are getting close to laying what I'm guessing will be cement at the bridge over Chestnut St. I would think within about a week or so.

South of this bridge, the asphault trail continues to the foot the bridge at Oxford St. They'll probably build a similar retaining wall system there.

Is there a map somewhere of the route of this trail?

I don't think a retaining wall is needed at Oxford. They most likely will just grade it to the trail. If the plans called for a retaining wall, I would think that they would have begun building it by now.

mgreven,

Found this PDF Map for the trail. The trail is connected to the recently extended trail on Wealther right next to the East side of the Big Chipper yard.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_upload/binary_object_cache/planning_GR_Bike_Map_2008.pdf

~John

Coming to a bike park near you: http://www.joyboxexpress.com/joybox2010.pdf

"Mr B" is riding across the state, towing his upright piano on a three-wheeler. Also riding are members of his quartet.

They reach GR on Sunday (I invited them to find a street corner and hang out to play for the fireworks crowd) and will be performing at the GR Bike Park on Monday. (They might be on the WGVU Morning Show earlier that day.)

Archived