It's all about the bike

Boston's installing a new bike share network. Was up in Kenmore Square and found a new station sitting there that must've been put in this past week. They're calling it the "Hubway."

That's a pretty stupid name, IMHO.

Here's a great article summarizing many of the bike share systems that have gone in around North America in the past year or so. http://momentumplanet.com/articles/bike-share-has-arrived/ It's well worth the read.

I believe Lansing recently installed a test station for B-Cycle, one of the two dominant systems in use.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proposed urban bike path could be 'transformative' for Grand Rapids

I hope that this is able to move forward (the article is light on details of the grant decision process - timeline, etc.).

As I wrote in a comment on the article, I'm wondering why the third phase of the Plaster Creek Trail isn't mentioned (Division to Oxford St), as it's been listed as a top priority in completing a citywide trail network. Does anyone know if that project is in the pipeline? I have particular interest in this trail, as it's very close to where I live. I'd love to see this trail connect SE GR with Millennium Park and the other trails, as is eventually planned.

We've had a couple of recent bicycling deaths in the news from crashes with motor vehicles. This article reminds us that even though it might not always feel like it, bicycling is pretty safe compared to a lot of other activities we don't worry about on a daily basis.

http://overthebarsinmilwaukee.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/fear-mongers-be-gone-riding-a-bike-is-safe/

• 6 months later...

I was near Monroe and Coldbrook on Thursday and I noticed many of the RR ties have been pulled up in preparation for the connection of the non-motorized trails between downtown and Riverside Park. The article I linked has a graphic labeling the land that (I assume) was acquired sometime last year. I wonder if and how the trail will cross the RR tracks near the Baker Furniture warehouse; notice the slight break in acquired land where the east/west RR crosses the Grand River.

Clearing the right-of-way:

6857726869_64c7097523_b.jpg

6857724715_3e86722970_b.jpg

I wonder if and how the trail will cross the RR tracks near the Baker Furniture warehouse; notice the slight break in acquired land where the east/west RR crosses the Grand River.

I recall having a conversation with someone involved with the project where I asked the same question, but this was awhile ago, and I can't remember what the answer was. It seems like they had worked out a solution for that crossing, but the more challenging one was how to cross Leonard and Ann Streets.

• 4 weeks later...

Downtown seeing some bicycle love. On 3/15, Central District Cyclery has their grand opening. http://www.mlive.com...s_bike_sho.html

http://www.centraldcyclery.com/

And a couple days ago, the Great Lakes Pub Cruiser made its maiden voyage, as captured here by Tommy Allen.

http://greatlakespubcruiser.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Links to my photos from the National Bike Summit in Washington, DC.

Riding around DC, I took photos of some of the bicycle infrastructure:

https://www.facebook...57016854&type=1

NBS 12 Day 1 & 2 (w/captions):

https://www.facebook...57016854&type=1

Tomorrow 800+ bicycle advocates from 49 states descend on Capitol Hill. Should be a fun time and I'm really looking forward to it.

You can follow the National Bike Summit chatter on twitter using the #nbs12 hashtag, https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23nbs12

• 1 month later...

http://www.mlive.com...s_wants_to.html

Last week GR City Manager Greg Sundstrom announced a plan for the City of GR to install 100 miles of bike lanes over the next five years. Total projected cost to build, AND MAINTAIN, one hundred miles of bicycles lanes, $70-90,000 per year or ~$430,000 over 5 years, or ~$4,300/mile.

Meanwhile, MDOT is currently spending $2.2 MILLION to tear up and rebuild the deck of Franklin St. (http://www.mlive.com...ranklin_st.html), a single ~0.2 mile span, over US-131. That's $11 million/mile. Even divided over a 20 or 25 year lifespan, it's still a huge amount of money in comparison to the small investment in bike lanes that nets you 100 miles of new, usable infrastructure that will give more people the option to get around for short trips without needing to buy gas.

Which of these projects will impact a larger number of people and generate more value for city residents for a lot less dollars spent? The bicycle infrastructure wins this round, easy. I only wish we could put it in faster!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the M-6 trail crossing at Byron Center:

The powers that be have implemented a count-down signal for the crosswalk.

Since that won't affect drivers exiting M-6 westbound, there was discussion about it on the Rapid Wheelmen forum. I provided my fellow cyclists the contact info for Tim Haagsma, PE, Director of Traffic and Safety, Kent County Road Commission

thaagsma (at) kentcountyroads (dot) net

One of the regulars on the group contacted Tim, who referred him to Kara Stein at MDOT, yielding this response.

...Thank you for sharing your concerns about the M-6 trail crossing at Byron Center Avenue. I would like to give you some information on future trail changes that should address your concerns.

Currently MDOT is working with the City of Wyoming, Byron Township and Kent County to change the trail crossing there. The trail will be re-directed to the north along Byron Center Avenue to Metro Way Drive. The trail will cross Byron Center Avenue at Metro Way Drive. There is a traffic signal at Metro Way drive, and the cross walk is on the north side of the intersection. This will provide a better crossing at Metro Way Drive. Trail users will not have to interact with the freeway traffic while crossing Byron Center Avenue. Design plans for this work are currently being finalized with plans to begin construction early this summer.

Further comments from the bike club:

It is sad a life had to be lost for voices to be heard, but at least Larry has made the world safer in his passing and likely saved some lives.

I think this is a really good solution for this. We should be happy that cyclists voices were heard.

I'm so glad to see this response to our concerns. This will make it much more likely that I will use the trail often. Also the work being done to make it safer to get from Clyde Park past Division is encouraging. Thanks, Mike and the others who have spoken for us, for your successful efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to myself and Mayor Heartwell talking at Central District Cyclery on Friday, National Bike to Work Day. Mayor Heartwell talks about the ~27 miles of bicycle lanes and sharrows that will be added around the City of Grand Rapids if that line item is approved, as expected, in the FY 2013 GR budget. Personally, I can't wait to see more facilities added. At less than $3,000/mile for installation and maintenance, they are a bargain in relative terms compared to normal road improvements or off-road paved trails.

http://www.fox17onli...-12#pl-62882988

Update on the M-6 trail crossing at Byron Center:

The powers that be have implemented a count-down signal for the crosswalk.

Since that won't affect drivers exiting M-6 westbound, there was discussion about it on the Rapid Wheelmen forum. I provided my fellow cyclists the contact info for Tim Haagsma, PE, Director of Traffic and Safety, Kent County Road Commission

thaagsma (at) kentcountyroads (dot) net

One of the regulars on the group contacted Tim, who referred him to Kara Stein at MDOT, yielding this response.

...Thank you for sharing your concerns about the M-6 trail crossing at Byron Center Avenue. I would like to give you some information on future trail changes that should address your concerns.

Currently MDOT is working with the City of Wyoming, Byron Township and Kent County to change the trail crossing there. The trail will be re-directed to the north along Byron Center Avenue to Metro Way Drive. The trail will cross Byron Center Avenue at Metro Way Drive. There is a traffic signal at Metro Way drive, and the cross walk is on the north side of the intersection. This will provide a better crossing at Metro Way Drive. Trail users will not have to interact with the freeway traffic while crossing Byron Center Avenue. Design plans for this work are currently being finalized with plans to begin construction early this summer.

Further comments from the bike club:

It is sad a life had to be lost for voices to be heard, but at least Larry has made the world safer in his passing and likely saved some lives.

Trail crossing to be relocated later this month

Someone in the bike club was concerned that the trail might be closed to users while the crossing is moved. I wrote:

It's likely to be a one-day project: pave two strips along BC Rd while the concrete crew is adding curb cuts, immediately followed by the paint crew. The most difficult part will be obtaining an easement from Consumer's, which owns the west side with all the weeds and trail user desire lines.

Hope that the construction is followed by a ribbon-cutting with Faith and Larry Jr. and Susan and the rest of the family that I sure wish I had not met last July.

Another discussion pertained to someone's preference for a tunnel or bridge. If this were a high (bicycle) traffic crossing, perhaps the funding could be justified. However, it's not exactly Elroy-Sparta, with lots of tourism dollars brought by casual cyclists pedaling along the quiet scenic countryside. It's the yuckky M-6 right-of-way. No need for picnic tables either.

Need a good cry? Check out what someone posted on Larry's FB wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Trail crossing to be relocated later this month

Someone in the bike club was concerned that the trail might be closed to users while the crossing is moved. I wrote:

It's likely to be a one-day project: pave two strips along BC Rd while the concrete crew is adding curb cuts, immediately followed by the paint crew. The most difficult part will be obtaining an easement from Consumer's, which owns the west side with all the weeds and trail user desire lines.

Hope that the construction is followed by a ribbon-cutting with Faith and Larry Jr. and Susan and the rest of the family that I sure wish I had not met last July.

Another discussion pertained to someone's preference for a tunnel or bridge. If this were a high (bicycle) traffic crossing, perhaps the funding could be justified. However, it's not exactly Elroy-Sparta, with lots of tourism dollars brought by casual cyclists pedaling along the quiet scenic countryside. It's the yuckky M-6 right-of-way. No need for picnic tables either.

Need a good cry? Check out what someone posted on Larry's FB wall.

Looks like construction will start soon. There are orange barrels all along the exit ramp continuing north to the traffic light, and on the west side, starting at the ghostbike and continuing all the way to the shopping center.

Also, there are pairs of surveyors stakes underneath the power lines on the east side. I love watching construction set-ups and this one is particularly interesting.

The bike is now bedecked in several red bouquets; I'm guessing for Father's Day. (Its presence is r-e-a-l-l-y aggravating to one person in the bicycle club; he describes it as an "eyesore" and asserts that the crossing "is not a major problem, I've done it with my son several times.")

• 3 weeks later...

I got my trike back from the shop with a new frame on Friday and went to Millennium Park today.

Took Madison to Wealthy, to Kent Trails, to and around Millennium Park and back via Kent Trails and bike trails to Burton and back home.

It was totally awesome checking out the new trails and trail bridge over Maynard. Also really enjoyed the new trail around Lake Leota. It was real nice taking Kent Trails and bike trails to Ivanrest and down to 27th Street heading back home via Burton Street.

Check out the new photos on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/sets/72157630517252298/

• 4 weeks later...

Construction is done.

Before:

crashloc.jpg

After:

crasloc7.jpg

Looks like construction will start soon. There are orange barrels all along the exit ramp continuing north to the traffic light, and on the west side, starting at the ghostbike and continuing all the way to the shopping center.

Also, there are pairs of surveyors stakes underneath the power lines on the east side. I love watching construction set-ups and this one is particularly interesting.

The bike is now bedecked in several red bouquets; I'm guessing for Father's Day. (Its presence is r-e-a-l-l-y aggravating to one person in the bicycle club; he describes it as an "eyesore" and asserts that the crossing "is not a major problem, I've done it with my son several times.")

The ghostbike detractor can now cease whining about it, as the stop sign (locking stanchion) has been removed...along with the previous curb cuts and crossing accoutrement.

• 2 months later...

As part of a resurfacing project that just finished up, the City of Grand Rapids has added bicycle lanes on Burton from Division Ave to Plymouth Ave, approx. 2.2 miles. These include the first significant intersection treatments where the lanes continue through, along with a right turn only lane. The only the place I'm aware of that this has existed in GR prior to Burton is northbound Monroe at Leonard.

More photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151231593468287.478223.611523286

307933_10151231594858287_1869625855_n.jpg

522895_10151231596788287_1889294558_n.jpg

530567_10151231605443287_300919739_n.jpg

61091_10151231608608287_1449584532_n.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived