It's all about the bike

So, the 2011 Tour de France started yesterday. It's one of the greatest sporting events in the world, although mostly ignored by US mainstream media (kind of like soccer).

Even if you're not that into bicycle racing, you might be entertained by bicycle blogger BikeSnobNYC's daily reports (or maybe not):

Here's a preview of his preview from: http://www.bicycling...-viewer-s-guide

The Riders You Will Be Watching Are on Drugs

Pretty much every year, the Tour de France is beset by some sort of doping scandal. This causes cycling fans considerable distress. They feel disillusioned. They feel betrayed. Some even declare that they’ll never follow the Tour again.

Whatever. It’s a professional sport. And professional sports and integrity go together about as well as Wall Street and, well, integrity.

To spare yourself this kind of emotional grief, just know going in that the athletes you’re watching use drugs. Sure, not all of them do. In fact, plenty of them are probably cleaner than an unworn chamois. Still, that doesn’t change the fact that the drugs are out there somewhere. There may be 197 dirty riders and one clean guy, or there may be 197 clean riders and one dirty guy. Most likely, though, it’s somewhere in between. The only thing we can know for sure is that it’s not 100% either way.

So what do you do with this information? Not follow the Tour because it involves drugs? Nonsense. A few weeks ago, the city of Portland drained an eight-million-gallon reservoir because one man got caught urinating in it. That’s 16 ounces of relatively harmless urine diluted in eight million gallons of perfectly good H2O. Not only is draining a reservoir because of this a gross overreaction but it’s also a shameful waste—especially when you consider all the other harmless yet yucky things that naturally find their way into a large body of water. Do you think frogs leave a reservoir when they have to go the bathroom? I doubt it.

So what does this have to do with the Tour de France? Well, just think of the race like a reservoir: It may be a little dirty, but it can’t really hurt you.

But yeah, you’re drinking pee.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the 2011 Tour de France started yesterday. It's one of the greatest sporting events in the world, although mostly ignored by US mainstream media (kind of like soccer).

Even if you're not that into bicycle racing, you might be entertained by bicycle blogger BikeSnobNYC's daily reports (or maybe not):

Here's a preview of his preview from: http://www.bicycling...-viewer-s-guide

Funny stuff. :lol:

Been having facebook conversations about how scary and dangerous this intersection is. I'm actually surprised this was the first death there.

I've walked across this intersection both ways probably a half dozen times or more. There is no doubt that a cyclist or pedestrian has to pay attention to the vehicular traffic especially when the WB exit ramp has the green and the cars haven't been stopped by traffic or the light. They are paying more attention to the traffic coming north than looking to the north. But is it any different than crossing any other major street / intersection ? I've ridden on Kent Trails thru the 28th & Ivanrest intersection and you need to pay attention there also.

According to a reliable source, the cyclist was EB and approached 2 cars SB stopped for the red light, 1 in the right turn lane and one in the right thru lane. The light turned green and a SB car in the left thru lane hit the cyclist as he rode out from behind the 2 stopped cars.

I've walked across this intersection both ways probably a half dozen times or more. There is no doubt that a cyclist or pedestrian has to pay attention to the vehicular traffic especially when the WB exit ramp has the green and the cars haven't been stopped by traffic or the light. They are paying more attention to the traffic coming north than looking to the north. But is it any different than crossing any other major street / intersection ? I've ridden on Kent Trails thru the 28th & Ivanrest intersection and you need to pay attention there also.

According to a reliable source, the cyclist was EB and approached 2 cars SB stopped for the red light, 1 in the right turn lane and one in the right thru lane. The light turned green and a SB car in the left thru lane hit the cyclist as he rode out from behind the 2 stopped cars.

My reliable sources say that the stopped motorists waved him through, and the one who hit him "came out of nowhere." Then leaped from her car and said, "I'm okay."

The big issue I have is the two freewheeling exit lanes from WB M-6. No reason for them to look to the right, since any traffic would be coming from the left. Why stop for the light? Why slow down? It's not like the lanes are narrow or there aren't enough of them.

While I was out there yesterday, two young kids came riding up the western side of BC, headed south. They got on the bike path and went west. In planning school, this was called an "attractive nuisance." Where's the village?

The big issue I have is the two freewheeling exit lanes from WB M-6. No reason for them to look to the right, since any traffic would be coming from the left. Why stop for the light? Why slow down? It's not like the lanes are narrow or there aren't enough of them.

It's been the WB exit traffic that scares me the most too, although the whole intersection is pretty bad. I crossed it several times last year but haven't gotten up the courage to test my luck on it yet this year. Too bad the trail and highway weren't designed so the trail passes under the bridge.

. . . I've ridden on Kent Trails thru the 28th & Ivanrest intersection and you need to pay attention there also.

Agreed, in fact the whole stretch along Ivanrest is bad. I have to admit that unless the traffic is light I ride on the sidewalk as does most everyone else. My fear of getting hit by a gravel truck is much greater than my fear of breaking a bike law. When you are old enough to get the senior coffee at McDonalds without asking you should be allowed to bike on the sidewalk when you feel like it anyway.

A ittle selective enforcement about "not coming to a comnplete stop" which is a 3 point "disregarding a stop signal" violation will take care of that.

It's been the WB exit traffic that scares me the most too, although the whole intersection is pretty bad. I crossed it several times last year but haven't gotten up the courage to test my luck on it yet this year. Too bad the trail and highway weren't designed so the trail passes under the bridge.

Then the trail users would have to cross 3 ramps. Many users still try to cross E-W so I'm guessing the decison was make to signalize the crossing with a ped signal.

I still feel it's up to the pedestrians to exercise extra caution. After all, in the collision, who is at most risk?

The eyewitnesses are coming out of the woodwork (commenters).

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/07/bicyclists_plan_silent_ride_to.html

Some visuals:

Seven traffic lanes. I'd put this road on a diet immediately.

crashloc.jpg

At far right is a circle painted by the crash analysis team; out of view is another one indicating the other bike wheel.

pano.jpg

Exiting the highway: Food & lodging ahead

file0002.jpg

Traffic signal ahead

file0004.jpg

Destinations

file0006.jpg

Let's widen the lanes

file0007.jpg

Still waiting for a mention of what's immediately after those right turns. Note that there are two sets of signs indicating the turn lane set-up.

file0008.jpg

Still waiting.

file0009.jpg

Still waiting.

file0010.jpg

Favorite City maintains the signal devices. They changed out a lamp, and then spent a long time at the utility box.

gb-14.jpg

The family appreciates the ghostbike.

file0021.jpg

Trail users heading to the facility.

kids-2.jpg

This is a public album. I spent some time captioning the photos for clarity.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/veloise/Larry%20Martin%20crash/

Not to beat up too much on this one intersection; I don't use this facility for aesthetic and destination reasons. The powers that be might want to consider revising all the non-motorized path intersections.

A ittle selective enforcement about "not coming to a comnplete stop" which is a 3 point "disregarding a stop signal" violation will take care of that.

An easy thing to say, but there's so many motorists who pull up to the road for their stops, disregarding crosswalks, and so many times that when motorists come to a complete stop for a right turn, they only look to the left for other vehicle traffic, and not to the right for any other forms of traffic. Plus, a cop can't be there 24/7 to ticket everyone who fails to do so, and I'd rather not take injury so one person can be ticketed for it.

I still feel it's up to the pedestrians to exercise extra caution. After all, in the collision, who is at most risk?

At intersections with two right turn lanes, and especially this one, it doesn't matter how much caution one exercises, you're still at risk as a pedestrian. Ignoring the laws and what 'should happen' and focusing on what people actually do, especially if you're traveling westbound on the trail, you have an off-ramp at your side with two right-turn lanes. Whenever you have two right-turn lanes, by themselves, it can often be impossible to make eye-contact with the person in the second turn lane, (or realise someone is even there) often due to them being hidden by a vehicle in the first. (This happened to me in a collision at 28th & 131, and I take -great- caution when crossing busy intersections.) Plus, despite it being against the law, most drivers will not stop behind the crosswalk (I find it more common for them to downtown, but in the suburbs and especially exurbs it's just unheard of.) This crosswalk travels a bit deep into one of the turn lanes than normal, and due to the uphill off-ramp can't really be seen by drivers anyway until you're right there.

This isn't just an intersection where pedestrians need to be extra cautious, it truly is a very dangerous situation (even though the recent death was due to other causes). I traveled through this once, and have never traveled it again because it's incredibly scary. There's only a very small handful of intersections I refuse to cross. Yes, there's other intersections that are bad as well, but this one takes the cake.

I smell a big lawsuit. Curious how much new bicycle infrastructure has added to municipalities' legal costs and risk management premiums nationwide.

Just back from the funeral. The family has no interest in pursuing legal avenues, but they would like to see some changes made. They were thrilled to see my pics of the GR traffic guys.

Trail users heading to the facility.

kids-2.jpg

This is a public album. I spent some time captioning the photos for clarity.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/veloise/Larry%20Martin%20crash/

Not to beat up too much on this one intersection; I don't use this facility for aesthetic and destination reasons. The powers that be might want to consider revising all the non-motorized path intersections.

I would never in a million years let my kids in that area on bikes the way they have it set up. No way, no how.

I would never in a million years let my kids in that area on bikes the way they have it set up. No way, no how.

Pedestrian's view of where the kids were riding.

file0110.jpg

Further back (north), there's a sidewalk. Ends in one of those beloved "beam me up, Scotty" type of deals.

file0114.jpg

ETA: here's a rough diagram I created in response to some questions on the WOOD-TV page.

crasloc4.jpg

I'm going to guess the parents didn't know the kids were riding in that area. Yeesh.

I'd parked in the retail lot some distance north, and hiked down to the intersection. Passing the apartment complex, enjoyed some sprinkles from their grass-watering infrastructure. But that mud rut...wow. My left elbow was close enough to the traffic lane that a wide mirror could have gotten me in the news.

When I was still doing bicycle work for the city (2005), I attended a meeting of GVMC's non-transportation committee. Discussion of the many locations along 28th Street in need of proper sidewalks, etc. The bikie crank pushed back; he didn't see the need because he would never ride along that roadway. The staff planner gently explained about the muddy ruts worn in the grass by pedestrians trying to get somewhere along the corridor, especially near the bus stops.

ETA: per wikipedia, "The Frederik Meijer Trail, formerly called the M-6 Trail," opened in 2008. Seems like that's been enough time to add connecting sidewalks and traffic controls.

I'd parked in the retail lot some distance north, and hiked down to the intersection. Passing the apartment complex, enjoyed some sprinkles from their grass-watering infrastructure. But that mud rut...wow. My left elbow was close enough to the traffic lane that a wide mirror could have gotten me in the news.

When I was still doing bicycle work for the city (2005), I attended a meeting of GVMC's non-transportation committee. Discussion of the many locations along 28th Street in need of proper sidewalks, etc. The bikie crank pushed back; he didn't see the need because he would never ride along that roadway. The staff planner gently explained about the muddy ruts worn in the grass by pedestrians trying to get somewhere along the corridor, especially near the bus stops.

ETA: per wikipedia, "The Frederik Meijer Trail, formerly called the M-6 Trail," opened in 2008. Seems like that's been enough time to add connecting sidewalks and traffic controls.

It's an unusual situation, the north boundary of the Consumers property is the city / township boundary. The Metro Health development has a 425 agreement for the property in the township. The City (as most do)requires the developer to put in the sidewalks with development. Macatawa Bank (I think) started grading the lot on the east side but we all know what condition the banks are in. The Consumers property will never be developed, so some muni will have to step up and put the sidewalk across the CE property.

WOOD-TV's Anne Schieber is staying on top of this.

In an email response to 24 Hour News 8, Carissa McQuiston, a traffic safety engineer with the city of Grand Rapids, wrote, in part:

"...(T)his signal was recently reviewed and meets or exceeds State standards for pedestrian clearance times. The signal is owned by the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and is operating in full compliance - using a pushbutton for pedestrian actuation. ...

"When pushbuttons are present it is important to press them to activate the pedestrian signal timing (if the button is not pressed, clearance times are reduced to maintain traffic flow). While the white 'Walk' symbol shows at the beginning of a pedestrian trip, it is not usually intended to be present for the whole trip across an intersection. This is because the flashing 'Don't Walk' is to be used for trips already started and is shown in order to inform pedestrians that have not yet stepped off the curb to wait for the next 'Walk' symbol. The flashing 'Don't Walk' is intended to be utilized for crossing (given the pedestrian/biker is already actively crossing) and represents a good portion of the pedestrian travel time, especially at large, high volume intersections. This can give the impression that there is not enough time to cross, however, I can assure you that this signal does meet or exceed pedestrian crossing time standards which uses both the 'Walk' time and flashing 'Don't Walk'. ..."

Ok, how about the lack of signage that indicates to drivers that the trail exists? And what if you're following Larry's path and the last few seconds of your orange "caution" signal are used up trying to get the attention of the M-6 right-turners?

Archived