Innovista

Spartan

Here's a great article about yesterday's Innovista announcement.

http://www.swampfox.ws/innovista-announces...-sector-tenant/

Research is one of the things this company does. So, to those were have been disappointed by the announcement, here's what I get from it:

1. on Inc's list of fast-growing companies

2. insurance firm that does research

3. at least 200 jobs paying an average of $85,000/yr

4. increase in the size of Columbia's already impressive (for a city its size) insurance industry

cluster in an economy where cluster is becoming almost as as big a word as money

Not bad for a start.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I should perhaps reiterate that I am excited about this announcement in general. There are very few negatives about it. The biggest negative, however, is that its work is not related to what the whole Research Campus effort is supposed to be about, other than its a public/private partnership with a research element. Now, I have no clue as to what an insurance software company would need to research or innovate, but clearly they have something to do and are making lots of money, so hats off to them. Anyway, they need to attract some nano-tech companies, bio-tech companies, and hyrogen fuel cell companies ASAP.

"Today

I agree with the overall sentiment that this is generally good news. I would view the "200 new jobs" figure with some skepticism however. For example, i wonder if the new jobs include the positions that are currently at their offices off of 277: http://www.duckcreektech.com/about/directions.aspx#sc.

Also, I work in the software industry for a local company and would love to see USC focus more on software engineering. We are experiencing a shortage of skilled people in this area currently which will inhibit growth in Columbia.

I really don't think much recruitment was needed on the part of Craig Davis (developer of the Horizon Block) or either the old (interim) or new executive director, due to the local connections that had a lot to do with this development. I'm pretty sure that any efforts from the developer or executive director involve bigger fish, or at least fish related to the four focus areas. I expect to see something in that regard in connection with the biomedical block (which is coming along nicely from what I saw yesterday).

• 2 weeks later...

No comments on the above article?

I found the part about the "big fish" that got away very interesting. It appears as though they were VERY close to landing this tenant. Now they know not to put all of their eggs in one basket. I'm curious to see what this new guy will do. I'm giving him 6 months to land another private tenant (and by that time, there should be more than that), LOL.

I'm confident that USC has the right people in place to bring in some companies. But I think the article made a good point- there just aren't very many companies out there. At this point I think I want to see some investment from Big Auto or Gillette (who owns Duracell) or something like that. Big corporate investment will beget more medium and small company investment. Right now, except for Duck Creek, there is not much for the average person to say about Innovista tennants. As much as I hate the Big Fish concept, that is what it will take to get Innovista really rolling in my eyes (and IMO, the public's eyes as well).

Here is another interesting article in today's State about the hydrogen economy.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/16973485.htm

I hate to bring up something negative...but how long is it before someone from the NAACP starts contacting these businesses that MAY move here and says "Did you know that a Confederate flag is right at the head of Main Street in front for the capital building? We're going to boycott you if you move to SC." Most businesses don't want the bad publicity of being associated with the Confederate flag. I'm surprised we haven't heard this yet actually. And I wonder if some of these big businessmen have been driving around Columbia, and just happened to run across that embarrassment. This may have already cost us and we don't even know it. GEEZ I wish those ignorant rednecks in the State House would WAKE UP and stop humiliating our entire state!!! (sorry...this is a HOT button issue for me)

I still wonder what company the 'big fish' was? Has anyone even heard any rumors? I've heard zilch.

It was Intel. They have close to 200 people located at a building off of I-26. I know the local management team still wants to make it happen at some point.

Intel...interesting.

I want the flag down too, but not at the expense of economic development, especially of the high-tech kind, which Columbia and South Carolina really needs.

At the "expense" of development? I'd think taking it down would be to the BENEFIT of development.

To be honest, I don't think the flag has really cost us any significant economic developments. To say otherwise is just pure speculation.

The reason why we aren't as further along economically as a state is because we haven't invested in infrastructure like we should have. The presence of the flag has very little, if anything, to do with that, truth be told. In the article you linked to, look at all of the progress this state has made as far as the "hydrogen economy" is concerned. That doesn't mean I don't want the flag down, but it's not for economic development purposes.

To be honest, I don't think the flag has really cost us any significant economic developments. To say otherwise is just pure speculation.

The reason why we aren't as further along economically as a state is because we haven't invested in infrastructure like we should have. The presence of the flag has very little, if anything, to do with that, truth be told. In the article you linked to, look at all of the progress this state has made as far as the "hydrogen economy" is concerned. That doesn't mean I don't want the flag down, but it's not for economic development purposes.

Of course it's just speculation that the flag could potentially hurt Innovista, and economic development...I don't have any facts, just guesses. But my initial post on this was that I'm just waiting for the day that the NAACP gets into this. I don't like the thought of Intel getting a call from the NAACP trying to convince them NOT to come to Columbia and SC. (I guess Spartan's right...this topic belongs in the flag thread.)

I just can't wait for the day we really start to hear some BIG names come to play with innovista. One thing I CAR has on it's side is BMW. That's a plus for them. We are competiting with bigger states in the hydrogen fuel cell research. California,Mich, New York, Ohio etc. One thing California is starting already are actually having stations that will allow cars to fill up on hydrogen fuel cells. And are predicting to have more than 20 stations available across the state of California by 2010. I like the emphasis we have here but were not the only state involved in this type of research. We really have to be more aggresive when trying to lure the big fishes.

I just can't wait for the day we really start to hear some BIG names come to play with innovista. One thing I CAR has on it's side is BMW. That's a plus for them. We are competiting with bigger states in the hydrogen fuel cell research. California,Mich, New York, Ohio etc. One thing California is starting already are actually having stations that will allow cars to fill up on hydrogen fuel cells. And are predicting to have more than 20 stations available across the state of California by 2010. I like the emphasis we have here but were not the only state involved in this type of research. We really have to be more aggresive when trying to lure the big fishes.

I don't think you will see big companies flock there. The whole point of innovista in my opinion is to get young companies started and grow, develop local headquarters, be a Columbia company. The intel episode illustrates why that will be necessary for innovista to succeed. The plug was pulled at the last minute from headquarters in Oregon. The Columbia operation is a nit to them. As far as ICAR goes I am not sure it is ever going to be anything more than an extension of BMW, with BMW running the show.

The whole point of innovista in my opinion is to get young companies started and grow, develop local headquarters, be a Columbia company.

If that's true, I think that will be very advatageous if it indeed takes off and can be successful.

As fas as ICAR goes, the surface is only being scratched right now, much like Innovista. You're missing the point of ICAR if you think it's going to just be an extension of BMW.

I don't think you will see big companies flock there. The whole point of innovista in my opinion is to get young companies started and grow, develop local headquarters, be a Columbia company. The intel episode illustrates why that will be necessary for innovista to succeed. The plug was pulled at the last minute from headquarters in Oregon. The Columbia operation is a nit to them. As far as ICAR goes I am not sure it is ever going to be anything more than an extension of BMW, with BMW running the show.

Innovista still needs the recognition and validation that will come with a big name company setting up some kind of operation there. That will prime the pump for the smaller companies.

I disagree about ICAR, but that's off-topic.

If that's true, I think that will be very advatageous if it indeed takes off and can be successful.

As fas as ICAR goes, the surface is only being scratched right now, much like Innovista. You're missing the point of ICAR if you think it's going to just be an extension of BMW.

well time will tell but i have been pretty involved there and that's pretty much what i see right now.