University City Projects/News

Andyc545

Welp, I'm going to UNCC to get to the library. John Nolan's historic civic survey of Charlotte is in the rare collections so I gotta go next week to check it out. It will be the second time I visited the campus, but this time I will walk around the area more to get the gist of it.

I don't know much about University City, but it sounds pretty cool. I'm sure UNC Charlotte has got a nice walkable campus with bike infrastructure and easy walking access between the dorms and halls right?

Its not like they built cheap ass student dorms with tons of parking or dumped multiple parking decks around their main campus area.

And with its own urban studies program and other long-standing services related to planning, their campus would serve as an example right?

Unfortunately, it is all our problem. These loans are forgiven or greatly reduced all the time and you and I end up paying for it.

Not sure what you mean by saying student loans are forgiven or greatly reduced all the time. Student loans aren't even forgiven in bankruptcy. And the only way I know of reducing them or them being forgiven is to work in public service for 10 years.

Not sure what you mean by saying student loans are forgiven or greatly reduced all the time. Student loans aren't even forgiven in bankruptcy. And the only way I know of reducing them or them being forgiven is to work in public service for 10 years.

Well, let me say I'm basing it off a conversation I had a few months back with someone who was talking about how he was able to get his loan amount greatly reduced. As I questioned him, a couple of others in the room said they too had gotten their debt reduced and still others in the room began to ask how they could do the same. Problem is, I don't remember what they said they had done... And other than taking their word for it, I have no idea if it's true. I did trust the source though because no reason to lie especially since my reaction wasn't positive. Also, the others in the room had no more of a connection to the first guy than I did, yet several backed him up. Beyond that, I can't say for sure it's true, so who knows. 

Edited by jednc

So what happened around PNC Pavillion to make traffic so much worse than past years? Seems like there is no shortage of biotching about access both before and after shows these days. This is the second news-like-thing I have seen on the subject in as many months.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article36002220.html

So what happened around PNC Pavillion to make traffic so much worse than past years? Seems like there is no shortage of biotching about access both before and after shows these days. This is the second news-like-thing I have seen on the subject in as many months.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article36002220.html

Maybe light rail construction is causing some backups? It has always been pretty bad though honestly. It's a terrible setup there, no doubt.

^ well, yea. The Pavilion is close to the epicenter of sprawlville so traffic has always been bad. I am just wondering why, if nothing substantial has changed out there, the news has picked up on this as a story now? I don't have any memory of any media-based beotching about access to the Pavilion over the past 15 years, but all of the sudden its everywhere I look (OK, it was only two news stories, but still).

I guess the larger question is, could this indicate a growing awareness of the problems of sprawl? Or is it just an indication of the ever growing tendency of people to beotch to the media about whatever is on their minds?

EDIT: and the biggest irony here is that had the BLE not been truncated for budget reasons, there would have been a LRT stop within walking distance of the Pavilion.

Edited by kermit

Anyone recall how much money was saved by chopping off that last BLE stop that would have been near PNC Pavillion? It's a shame because that's a wasted opportunity. I would absolutely go to more shows to PNC if light rail was an option there and I know a lot of others would. The traffic as has been mentioned up there is a dumpster fire and I refuse to go that way unless it's for a band I really want to see. I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

^ Somebody in another topic had suggested this, but it would be great if the PNC Pavilion relocated closer to the city. Maybe using the parcel that the Asian Corners is currently located on. The venue would end up losing a lot of parking space, but concert goers could instead park at any park and ride along the Blue Line.

Anyone recall how much money was saved by chopping off that last BLE stop that would have been near PNC Pavillion?

$92 million was cut from total BLE costs by eliminating the Mallard Creek rd and 485 stops according to the consultant's cost-cutting report:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/Documents/FEIS/Alts Considered/CATS NE Corridor Light Rail Project (2011) LYNX Blue Line Extension Scope Reduction.pdf

(see pdf page 6)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

^That's a bargain compared to how much it would cost to extend it at this point.  While I get why it was cut, I feel like the Park and Rides at JW Clay and UCBlvd are a waste given that they will just be clogged with students (they are a shot walk to campus shuttle stops) rather than a Mallard Creek Ch Rd and/or 485 stop that could've actually benefited commuters instead.

$92 million for extending the Blue Line to 485 is not a bad cost. That's roughly less than the $119 million for the second phase of the Gold Line. Concord/Harrisburg commuters would greatly benefit from a station along I-485. They could even place directional signage along I-85, especially for out-of-towners who are visiting Charlotte for one of its big events, but don't want to park in Uptown. I also think a shuttle running from the Concord airport and Concord Mills to the station would also boost ridership (and NASCAR).

• 1 month later...

A few UC bits and pieces that I don't think have been mentioned here before:

1) The current University Place owner has seen the light and believes that big boxes (or medium boxes) are dead and is planning a total small-box walkable district makeover for the area.

2) A new bridge across 85 near the Oaisis Shriners building is planned for the area in an effort to enhance connectivity between URP and University Place. Perhaps the exploited masses at Red Ventures will be able to walk to the Wine Vault after work?

3) The owner of the McCullough office complex area is planning for some mixed-use redevelopment and conversions of existing buildings. Word is they plan to build a significant amount of luxury housing in the redevelopment (I am quite skeptical of this plan).

Most importantly:

4) The Waffle House at Stetson (beside the new parking deck) has been razed. Judging by the still standing sign they plan to rebuild. This is a great plan, I don't have high standards for restaurant cleanliness, but that Waffle House was positively awful. 

• Like 1

Wow. The BLE and North Tryon streetscape is really making a difference in U City. Urban isn't the word I'm looking for, so maybe... cosmopolitan? It feels less like the outer suburbs, and more inner. I guess having consistent sidewalks and curbs along Tryon will give that impression. The parking deck near JW Clay is also a lot more massive then I thought it would be. Very imposing.

I still think developers are dropping the ball on University, but maybe with a new look, we might start to see more urban development. I've also accepted that NC 49 is a lost cause, but if they continue to build a multi-use path along University Boulevard, and create more signalized crosswalks, then maybe I won't be too upset.

• 1 month later...

So apparently the crime in U City near the new apartments is so bad that the students and their parents are demanding to be let out of their leases.

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/crime/2015/12/17/residents-upset-about-uptick-in-crime-near-uncc/77522070/

People getting robbed multiple times, shootings inside the complex.  Yeesh.  Not a good look for Ucity.

15 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

So apparently the crime in U City near the new apartments is so bad that the students and their parents are demanding to be let out of their leases.

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/crime/2015/12/17/residents-upset-about-uptick-in-crime-near-uncc/77522070/

People getting robbed multiple times, shootings inside the complex.  Yeesh.  Not a good look for Ucity.

Not surprised honestly. As more of the low income neighborhoods are gentrified, UCity is the next best option because leases up there are so cheap. The room rental options are also inviting to low income earners because they're far cheaper than renting an entire apartment and all utilities are included. The apartments can't discriminate and rent only to students, so you end up with students sometimes being forced to live with someone they have nothing in common with.

My sister lived in University Walk and they assured her they would only pair her and her friend with other students. She got paired with two women that were like 28 years old and from the hood. She said it was a seemingly never ending rotation of different dudes coming over, so she moved all her valuable stuff out and lived on the couch of her friends that also lived in the same complex.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Not surprised honestly. As more of the low income neighborhoods are gentrified, UCity is the next best option because leases up there are so cheap. The room rental options are also inviting to low income earners because they're far cheaper than renting an entire apartment and all utilities are included. The apartments can't discriminate and rent only to students, so you end up with students sometimes being forced to live with someone they have nothing in common with.

Interesting.