University City Projects/News

Andyc545

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

Hello, can someone in the know tell me how we even arrived at the design idea of bikes and their riders at the same grade with 2-3 ton machines?  Why not narrow the streets and instead expand the sidewalks (at different grade) to be multi-use paths accommodative of bikes.  Crazy all the near-misses I see almost everywhere in town as cyclists try to fight for territory and stake their claims on increasingly crowded roads with increasingly intoxicated operators.  Also crazy to think of all the people who don't even attempt a bike ride as a routine form of mobility because they have no interest in planting their flag in these roads next to these motorized and often wayward behemoths.

I've always been under the impression that the "Share The Road" movement arose decades ago because cyclists were frustrated that there was so little bicycle infrastructure to ride safely.  So they just pushed their way onto the roads instead of pushing for separated cycle paths that not only would have been much safer, but also would have looked much more enticing to people who would like to cycle but didn't feel comfortable riding on public roads.  I have posted multiple times that it would be much more beneficial to build bicycle infrastructure next to sidewalks completely separated from the road by trees; it wouldn't even take additional ROW because it would just be relocating the bicycle lanes within the ROW, but there does not seem to be much interest in pursuing that.

I would like to be able to cycle more, but the only time I am on two wheels is when I ride my motorcycle because I do not have to worry about keeping up with the speed of traffic (and I ride as much as I can because parking is so much easier).

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/2/2024 at 1:21 PM, nicholas said:

I've always been under the impression that the "Share The Road" movement arose decades ago because cyclists were frustrated that there was so little bicycle infrastructure to ride safely.  So they just pushed their way onto the roads instead of pushing for separated cycle paths that not only would have been much safer, but also would have looked much more enticing to people who would like to cycle but didn't feel comfortable riding on public roads.  I have posted multiple times that it would be much more beneficial to build bicycle infrastructure next to sidewalks completely separated from the road by trees; it wouldn't even take additional ROW because it would just be relocating the bicycle lanes within the ROW, but there does not seem to be much interest in pursuing that.

I would like to be able to cycle more, but the only time I am on two wheels is when I ride my motorcycle because I do not have to worry about keeping up with the speed of traffic (and I ride as much as I can because parking is so much easier).

That's interesting.   I look at West 4 Extension here on the westside.  Wouldn't be caught dead in the bike lane there the way cars fly by and given all the curves and undulation creating blind spots for someone speeding.  And given I rarely see a biker on it, I suspect most think like me.  Thankfully, the greenway is close by but doesn't necessarily get you to where you want to go. 

Beatties Ford could certainly use an expansion of sidewalks into multi-use paths guarded by trees instead of an at grade bike lane. 

Does the Bicycle Advisory Committee deliberate on this question at all/ever?  Is separate cycle infrastructure part of its strategy?  I suppose "sharing the road" might still be a goal because you can lobby to tap into a larger pool of funds to redesign roads to accommodate you versus securing funds for totally separate infrastructure.  Perhaps secure a useless bike lane today and hope that down the road, you can secure funding for concrete bollards protecting the lane.  The intersections are still quite precarious. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

^^^

I wonder if they will do something like this on the property of the Centene campus. Centene bought a ton of land and originally planned to build a mirror of the existing building across from the plaza/water feature. If the new owner/tenant doesn't want to build more office space, it make sense to me to build out a mixed use campus to fully utilize the land. I think building out residential and retail might also make this an even more enticing place to work.

The building is world-class, but the big downside is that it is isolated. There aren't that many lunch spots around, and they aren't that easy to get to. Campuses like that might have worked in the past, but the quote in the article about Spectrum/Vantage that stood out to me is that "Successful office buildings over the next decade will not be successful because of just the amenities in the building but also because of the amenities outside the building and close by."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genesis704 said:

Any plans of a high rise in UC’s future? 

or atleast 10+ stories?

could happen and was planned at one time to have like a 15 story office building at N Tryon and Mallard Creek but that fell apart long ago.  I think you will see one in the future but who knows when that might be and could be residential. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...