Downtown Winston-Salem Developments

eddard

This afternoon while I was walking along Liberty Street to get some photos of Kingz Grocery, I ran into Mr. King himself and he invited me in to take a look at his store. I was impressed at the selection he would be offering downtown residents: fresh fruit, frozen foods, toiletries, and the other basics of a grocery store. He also carried some organic items as you'll see in the photos below. His store will open early this week but the grand opening and ribbon cutting will be 12-14-07.

2095785483_bff6da5ddd_b.jpg

2096566516_079bdcf93e_b.jpg

2096570006_e2c6e343a3_b.jpg

2096573952_07c3f25ff3_b.jpg

2096577416_44cedacb31_b.jpg

2096580910_d7439aca26_b.jpg

2096584256_33218748e0_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in yesterday's Journal about the changes in downtown residential projects. Here are some highlights the article mentioned:

1. The Brown and Williamson building, being developed into the Gallery Lofts, is going from condo(purchase) to apartment(rental). While the company was close to reaching it's sales percentage goal, it was taking to long to meet that goal. Buyers who have commited have been sent a letter and 10 buyers have requested a refund of deposit.
  2. Fourth and Green, the third building in West End Village is on hold. Sales in current buildings are at 85 percent (60 units) for Fourth and Broad and at 55 percent (54 units) for the Towns.
  3. It looks like the land where 575 Liberty was to be will either be another project or lay vacant. The real estate agent who has the land has only received a couple of calls on the property.
  4. The fate of the District is in question as well. Chad Davis of East Coast Capital could not be reached for comment.

Link to WSJ article about Downtown Residential Projects

The great thing about it when there is a buying slump in homes and condos is that developers can focus their attention on apartments. Both downtown Winston-Salem and downtown Greensboro need more rental units. We see that with projects like CityView in Greensboro and the Nissen Building in Winston. But this is certainly not bad news for Winston because it opens the door to more downtown apartment development. Keep in mind, most single young professionals live in apartments as oppose to condos and those downtown single young professional workers need a place to live. Apartments attract a young population which I think will be essential for Winston-Salem's downtown nightlife since downtown isnt surrounded by thousands of college students like Greensboro. Most people that purchase downtown condos are 35 and older. Alot of empty nesters buy condos. Rental units will be very important for the future of downtown Winston-Salem and some of these developers that are proposing condos may change their project to upscale rentals.

Edited by cityboi

4th should be called "sandwich row". im praying that this the last new sandwich shop for the area for a while. we need more of a mix.

The NY Styles space sits on prime real estate and the building appears to be in excellent condition. Jimmy John's is a better fit and Im glad the clothing store decided to stay downtown. I hope they have more success at their new location. theyll be next to similar retail.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingz Market seemed to be doing a decent amount of business on this boring night in downtown. I can't help but feel that something is missing from the interior of his store; it doesn't have any 'soul.'

2188090033_29dcdace8c_b.jpg

2188879706_ed927f5315_b.jpg

I don't know whether a new Cricket store opened up on Fifth Street, or an existing retailer decided to market Cricket phones like New York Styles sold Sprint:

2188887134_88bac843c2_b.jpg

Silk Road Spa has, after over two years, opened up in the Embassy Suites hotel on Cherry Street:

2188104273_b3eeb1a10c_b.jpg

The Rush Fitness Center has opened up a temporary location on Fourth next to Cat's. I don't know what their objective is by investing a lot of money into a space that they will move out of in less than half a year. I guess to give downtown residents a look at what is to come?

2188108167_f2bb79b384_b.jpg

2188898516_72f1cd3d07_b.jpg

2188183793_396bf6d3a2_b.jpg

thanks for the updates! Rush is going to be one of the best additions to downtown. this will be a much needed foot traffic generator for the young adult crowd. surrounding businesses should feel very lucky.

dimming the lights, better signage and some art on the walls would do the trick for Kingz. cheap and effective.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hutch & Harris has opened at at 424 W. Fourth Street (former location of The Bistro). H & H employs about 30 people and is open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. nightly. Live music, including bluegrass, is planned for weekends. Lunch is about $10; dinner, $17-$20. The menu features an eclectic mix of recipes Richardson has picked up in his travels, he said. For more information, call the restaurant at 721-1336 or visit them at their website.

Deweys is moving their HQ to downtown. the 11 member corporate staff will relocate from Indiana Ave to a historic house in the 200 block of Cherry Street, just north of Brookstown Ave.

sadly, there are no current plans for a downtown store. a flagship Deweys would be ideal. I do hope that they, along with Krispy Kreme, decide to open somewhere downtown in the future. they would make great additions!

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173354578091

Edited by twincity

• 2 months later...

For fans of a better downtown, here is late word of an event tonight aimed at improving the aesthetics of downtown as we renovate Business 40. Titled "The Integration of Public Art into the Bridges of Business 40," this panel discussion, idea slideshow, and community inspration-sharing session will be held Tuesday, April 22, from 7:00 - 8:30pm at Green Street United Methodist Church (639 S. Green Street, Winston-Salem

Frontporchguy, thanks for the information! If you attended, how did it go?

Cat's Corner, at Commerce Plaza on Fourth and Spruce, is for sale. Fourth Street Partners Inc. put the business on the market after two of the five owners decided to get out of the restaurant business. The owners have said that a new restaurant probably would take over Cat's lease. The restaurant's landlord, East Coast Capital, also is trying to sell the Commerce Plaza building.

• 4 weeks later...

Downtown Updates:

Subway is now open on Fourth Street next to Skippy's. Their hours are 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Monday through Friday. On Saturday they are open from 10 till 4. At least it's progress...

2526286138_ea0c9f0b69_b.jpg

2526292276_0fb8141610_b.jpg

Renovations on the Wolfies space have begun.

2526310350_a3318d5147_b.jpg

2525496965_0019452a86_b.jpg

Noma Urban Bar & Grill has started its renovations as well.

2525506363_d949e3d4a1_b.jpg

Hillcrest Furniture building renovation update...5-12

2487630438_833a8f9c4f_b.jpg

2487631262_a600d82249_b.jpg

I wish we knew what was planned for this space! i think this was the space Mast was considering?

2486816097_03c64473bc_b.jpg

There is a rumor going around that Ziggy's has signed a lease for this space. If so, this is great news! It will really jump start the revival of Liberty Street.

• 2 weeks later...

Wolfies has installed their signage and should be open soon.

----------------------

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...ml?surround=lfn

Hutch & Harris and Camel City Cafe have signed contracts with a company, Valet Services, to provide valet parking services Monday through Saturday.

----------------------

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...09/daily56.html

Brew Nerds will open up their second store in the former SIN coffee shop space.

When did SIN leave??

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm planning to be in downtown Winston-Salem over the weekend. Are there any spots I shouldn't miss? I'm going to check out Old Salem, but I also want to explore the main part of downtown. I DL-ed the retail map from the DWSP and it looks like the area around Trade and 4th is a good spot to walk. I'm looking for bar, shops, music, and restaurant ideas, mainly. I'd like to find enough to do and explore so I don't have to drive much, if at all. Thanks!

There will be a live free concert on Sixth and Trade Streets on Saturday evening (a band caled 'Hobex' is the headliner for the 5th.) That usually draws a good crowd as well as street vendors (arts, crafts, and food!) Not to mention the galleries should all be open on 6th. Speakeasy Jazz is a good place to go and Recreation Billiards has gone way upscale. Foothills Brewing company is a local fav as well as Mellow Mushroom. Hope you enjoy your visit here!

I'm looking for bar, shops, music, and restaurant ideas, mainly. I'd like to find enough to do and explore so I don't have to drive much, if at all. Thanks!

For these places, I would recommend the streets you already mentioned (Fourth and Trade). For bars, try Burke Street. Downtown is pretty lively at night and the galleries should be fairly busy. As for restaurants, it depends on what you're interested in eating.

My recommendations:

High quality southern cuisine - Sweet Potatoes

Asian - Downtown Thai

Modern atmosphere - Mellow Mushroom

Classy/deli - Winston's Eatery

Irish - Finnegan's

American - Hutch & Harris/Foothills

Fast food - Skippy's and street vendors

Hope you enjoy your visit! :)